Author Topic: Roadtrip....but without the roadtrip: SAGAIA & T2  (Read 33215 times)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
Roadtrip....but without the roadtrip: SAGAIA & T2
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »

So....follow up on this topic: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1171.0

Long story short, after a lot of trouble I managed to pick up a Sagaia cab, and my friend picked up a T2 while we were there :). Because of the trouble to arrange the pickup I didn't have time to take pictures and to be honest I didn't think of it either :oops:. We had to hurry to get there in time, so that means my very first arcade roadtrip was really stressful :-\.

This is the route we've taken :arrow:

A trip from my home (Zottegem) to my colleague with the van in Wetteren on to Munsterbilzen to pick up the Sagaia & T2. I didn't leave the country (Belgium) for my first road trip :D.
One-way distance (according to routeplanner) : 165km
Total road trip time: ~5 hours
Consumed food: None, no time for that now! Afterwards we picked up french fries and various kinds of processed meat from the 'frituur' or 'friterie' (Belgian & Dutch people will know what I mean ;))
Consumed drinks: Coke, Fanta and a bottle of water after loading & unloading those heavy cabs ;D

To make up for the non existing roadtrip pictures I did take some pictures of the cabs when we unloaded them.

Sagaia just unloaded :arrow: (that beast is heavy! 250 Kg)

First impression: overall good artwork, coin mechanisms missing, small mdf plate on the lower front & dust ;D.

Another picture with the cab moved to the back room :arrow:

Picture of right side :arrow:

Look at that beautiful artwork! It's also in very good condition. Only a small chip on the right top and some scratches in the letter "S". The two small black patches on the bottom used to be rubber I think, but they became hard & fragile over the years. Should be easy to get them off.

Left side :arrow:

Very good condition, no damage to artwork at all. Only on the rear under the "S" the wood is splitted, so I'll have to repair that (tips?). It also needs a new T-molding, but that's our own fault, in the hurry we forgot to take enough blankets for protection. So we had to slide the cab on the back side into the van, scratching the t-molding. The splitted wood was already that way, not my fault! :D.

I noticed my Sagaia has the "regular" level layout :arrow:

I did power on the cab very briefly, and everything seemed to work fine. The joysticks were a bit worn out though. Only the second monitor (horizontal) has to be cleaned because it was a tad darker than the first. Maybe the monitor has to be realligned a bit too. Pictures will follow soon.

Now, some pictures of my colleague's T2 :arrow:

Overall, good condition, only a little damage on the right side.

But this cab has a bigger problem :arrow:

Sorry for the blurry picture, but the game halts at this screen "RAM CHIPS BAD". The colors are way off, so you can't see green or red so we couldn't figure out which was the "good" color and the "bad" color. After some fiddling we found the monitor test and found the RGB test, Red is blue, green is pink and blue is purple :-\. So ram chips displayed in blue are supposed to be red :arrow: faulty.

Would a degauss wand solve the color problem, or is the problem somewhere else on the chassis or pcb's?

Unplanned, but it turned out to be a first roadtrip for both of us :D.......and I have a feeling it won't be our last...... :pac:

Updates & more pictures will follow very soon!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:35:36 AM by petieken »
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

nicolas le jardinier

• France
    • View Profile
Re: Sort of roadtrip: Sagaia
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:30:35 AM »
I'm very happy you can take it  :D
And it works, it's marvellous  :D

logan

• View Profile
Re: Roadtrip....but without the roadtrip: SAGAIA & T2
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »
holy shit, that thing is HUGE!  :o :o :D ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:00:50 AM »
glad you could at least save two games! congrats on the catch, that's one hell of a cabinet, wonderful artwork as well. and wonderful that it is working. i've never seen that game before - does the action take place on both screens?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

nicolas le jardinier

• France
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:03:48 AM »
I've read the tread in shmups forum and I can see that the stick are red on the cab with the rare romset, mine are red too, you it's black.

But we have two rare romset (me and bloodflower)  and one commun  ;D

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:57 AM »
holy shit, that thing is HUGE!  :o :o :D ;)

WidthxDepthxHeight : 95cm x 112cm x 185 cm
Weight : 220 kg
I can still feel the weight in my arms, unloading that cab with only 2 people is not recommended ;). There were handles on the cab, but 90% of the time we were moving the cab we couldn't reach them, so they are pretty useless.

glad you could at least save two games! congrats on the catch, that's one hell of a cabinet, wonderful artwork as well. and wonderful that it is working. i've never seen that game before - does the action take place on both screens?

Yes, the playfield is stretched over 2 screens. :arrow:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:58:42 AM by petieken »
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »
I've read the tread in shmups forum and I can see that the stick are red on the cab with the rare romset, mine are red too, you it's black.

But we have two rare romset (me and bloodflower)  and one commun  ;D

I'm in the minority, so mine's the rare one :P ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »
Congrats with this beautiful catch. And I think it's great that you did al the effort to get the game just before 'closing time'. That's the true spirit, chapeau  :spaceace: :spaceace:

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »
Congrats with this beautiful catch. And I think it's great that you did al the effort to get the game just before 'closing time'. That's the true spirit, chapeau  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Only because I knew 'closing time' = 'dumpster time'. As a shmup fan I really couldn't let this beautiful cab go to waste, the thought alone almost made me crying :'(. I think it's worth saving for the artwork alone 8).

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:52:38 AM »
Because of the trouble to arrange the pickup I didn't have time to take pictures and to be honest I didn't think of it either :oops:. We had to hurry to get there in time, so that means my very first arcade roadtrip was really stressful :-\.

Stress, money and organization troubles (especially at the last moment) are one of the major components when you start to collect arcade videogames,

this passion is not like buying a Japan console on ebay

Anybody of us when started had your same problems, be sure of that.

Just with time you acquire knowledge and experience to make these things with less efforts jedi

Anyway my congrats beautiful cab

it really deserved the "outrun" ;)

Welcome on board, young apprentice!   :spaceace:

Mav

From now on things will be a lot different, believe me!

From today your roadtrips' path will bring you far.. far.. and very far away from your house

for unknown destination for your future cab collection arcade

And mame will mean nothing but a distant remembrance

You made the first step in a huge adventure "quest that awaits you"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:00:52 AM by Maverick »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »
Well done Petieken ! You did it! You've saved that rare SEGAIA!  :-* :-* :-*

It wasn't easy... the game is huge ... the waiter is bad ... you do not have the van you was supposed to have ... never made a road trip before ...  everything go wrong ... a lot of questions ... but ... THIS IS IT, THIS IS REALLY IT! You saved it!!!  :)

Do not worry what the road trip pictures, this is not the most important... BUT ... try to thing about it next time  ::) ... even in a 'stress mode', I'm trying to take pictures... my wife thinks I'm crazy when I do that  ::) ;) ;D
OK, can you give more details about the road trip? Which country? How far? Snow or rain? Sex? Dr Pepper? Bifi? ...or other local 'things' to eat/drink  ::) :D
Hey, nice to see a friend of you got a T2 cabinet... a new member to come here maybe?  ::) ;D

Once again, congratulation for your SEGAIA! This story adds a real 'emotional' value to that cab  8) Can't wait to see more pictures of it  :-*

SAVE THE SAGAIA... SAVE THE WORLD!  ;D

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
Yeah, I read your friend with the van couldn't make it.
Next time I login I see the this topic with pictures of a cab in the dark .... so you went to save it!

Great save and a great cab, as I'm a little shooter minded myself .... love to have a go at that cab ...

Congratulations!
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:19:39 AM »
congrats on the cab!(s) - must say that was in the 11th hour!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words everybody!  :-*

This afternoon I will hopefully go to Wetteren again to start a serious inspection of the cabs, drill open the back door lock, and clean up a bit. Then I'm going to play a few games and save the planet Darius! It started snowing again this morning. I hope it stops very soon, so I can drive safely.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Wow, I never even heard of this game, but I love that stretched picture concept !

Great rescue:  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

The picture won't be solved with a wand, it looks to me like the picture is inverted. So the colors are inverted (what is white should be black, etc.). That would be pretty weird though.

F.i. DK puts out an inverted picture, if you hook it up to a normal monitor you get something like this.

So, what other cabs were there still at the sellers place and got scrapped ?  :o :o :o