Author Topic: THE RISING OF GOURB on GT-6  (Read 35183 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: THE RISING OF GOURB on GT-6
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
thx bruno, sounds like a great add-on to your THEATER!!! btw, i'm still standing by for re-assembly ... 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
...and back on this!  :)

Now that my Galaxian Theater is playable with the two missions 'Project Dragoon' & 'Attack Of The Zolgear', I need -in order to to complete the 'Galaxian3' trilogy- to setup that exclusive PSX mission called 'The Rising of Gourb', inside my full size theater!

So let's try that setup once again outside 'the theater' in order to check if all that stuff is still working...

...all that mess... I'm loving working with all that professional video stuff  :P

I'm using two from the three monitors configured from my 'Forza 4 triple screen setup'...

In action!  :arrow:

Hell yeah!  :-*  :arrow:

A video to come of course  8)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
Here's the video  :arrow:

[click on picture to watch the video]

Next step... to integrate the video signals... into the GT6 :P

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
Video signals now integrated to the GT6  8)  :arrow:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »
Here's the video that shows 'The Rising Of Gourb' attract mode, finally displayed inside my GT6  8)  :arrow:

(side note : I really have to replace the left projector)

Still have to fine tune the alignment/size/colors between the 2 images, but basically I'm done with the 'video part' of this project!  8)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »

really heavy trick to split the image in left & right sides.
very impressive, Bruno.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
Yes, an hell of hardware to split the picture in two  :pac:..... :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

In action!  :arrow:

Note that the Pioneer LD player pictured (on the bottom) isn't a part of this setup, it just one of my spare, who is still 'not too far'.

All the credits go to Kinkin, who did it first and created an helpful page about the subject : http://illegal-function.at.webry.info/200911/article_3.html

Now, I'm on the very last step of this PSX->GT6 configuration. I still need to interface four GT6 flight yokes to the PSX.
For that, I need to build the same interface (four in fact, one per player) built by KinKin.  8)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
Well, it's now time to start the last step and maybe the hardest part on this project : find a way to use the original signal coming from the GT6 flight yokes, and use them to into the original SCPH-1110 PSX Analog Joystick controller. Of course, all of this without any original hardware modification.

One solution has already be found, by KinKin,  as explained at the beginning of this topic, by the use of a custom controller who transforms the GT6 potentiometers value into the right value expected by the the PSX analogue controller. Here's the custom controller :

The good new, he shared the schema to built it, here it is  :arrow:

But here's the problem : that ATMEGA88 has to be programmed with a special code, and I unfortunately don't have it.  :oops:
I tried to contact Kinkin and other members of the UGSF Japan to ask for this code, but don't received any reply so far... hope they will al last see my request here!  :'(
Without that code, I'm stuck with that solution.  :-[

So I'll have to figure out an other way to reach my goal. So let's study how the original GT6 flight yoke work.

The first thing to know is the value of the potentiometers used... let's dismantle one of the 6 flight yokes :

Arf, this is not enough... too much things to remove before reaching them... I do not want to dismantle everything just to read the value on the potentiometer itself!... Let's check the documentation and find out the potentiometers signals :

Ah, ok! It's written 1KΩ on the schema, but let's check the value on the pins by myself... I anyway will have to study these connectors....

So yes, it is 1KΩ potentiometers value used in there...

The Y value goes from 0,174 KΩ to 0,466 KΩ
The X value goes from 0,580 KΩ to 0,150 KΩ

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 12:03:09 AM »
Here's the only Playstation joystick compatible with Galaxian3 in full analog mode  :arrow:

The PlayStation Analog Joystick (SCPH-1110) is Sony's first analog controller for the PlayStation, and is the precursor to the PlayStation Dual Analog Controller.

Inside that beast...

...10KΩ potentiometers  :arrow:

So you figure out the idea at this point... using the original GT6 flight yoke (1 KΩ potentiometers) to pilot the SCPH-1110 controller (10KΩ potentiometers), without of course NO modification of the original GT6 flight yoke.

I see three possibilities at this point :

1. Using the KinKin's method : to simulate a PSX analog controller on a programmable chip/custom circuit, but this require a custom firmware I do not have + to build a circuit / learn in deep how a PSX controller work to adapt the code for this analog controller.

2. Using a custom circuit that convert a specific potentiometer value into an other one, like the famous BP79 created by BigPanik. But this one need to be built, and customized to match the potentiometers values for my specific project.

3. Try to hook the GT6 (1 KΩ potentiometers) directly onto the SCPH-1110 controller (10KΩ potentiometers) and hope the original firmware included into the SCPH-1110 controller will do the job. In other word, hacking the SCPH 1110 controller.

Because the last solution is by far the easiest one to try/understand/perform, I'll start that test first... but I don't have too much hope, because if that solution would be working, why KinKin used a *by far* more complex solution by building/coding a custom controller (except to avoid the price of 4 of these expensive SCPH-1110 joystick) ?

Otherwise, I'll have to go with the solution 1 or 2 but this will need a lot of learning and work... really challenging!
Hopefully, I already go few interesting links from friends on www.gamoover.net (on this topic) regarding the famous BP79, how a PSX controller work, how to built it...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:41:10 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
3. Try to hook the GT6 (1 KΩ potentiometers) directly onto the SCPH-1110 controller (10KΩ potentiometers) and hope the original firmware included into the SCPH-1110 controller will do the job. In other word, hacking the SCPH 1110 controller.

Because the last solution is by far the easiest one to try/understand/perform, I'll start that test first... but I don't have too much hope, because if that solution would be working, why KinKin used a *by far* more complex solution by building/coding a custom controller (except to avoid the price of 4 of these expensive SCPH-1110 joystick) ?

Tried that solution and ... well...

:-* :spaceace: :-* :spaceace: :-*  :spaceace:

Here's the 'proof of concept' video test  ;D  :arrow:

...more details soon, but the important thing is ... it works perfectly! This means that I'll be able to play the 'Galaxian3 Trilogy Games' inside the Galaxian Theater!

The circle is now *almost* completed!

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
OMG! It actually worked?! awesome. Now you can be able to play rising of gourb without errors.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
Great, congrats... Keep it simple :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »
Yes, I'm really happy this solution working so great! To be honest, I even didn't except to see that basic solution working, especially when I see the complex (but more elegant) way chosen by KinKin...

Ok, here's the temporary setup during the 'proof of concept', or the 'R&D phase' ...  ;D  :arrow:

.jpg

...what a mess...

.jpg

Next step, to find the right connectors for these wires...

.jpg

...to do a clean box for each of the four PSX controllers. Maybe to build a switch system...

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
It actually working right away, that's great news!!!

:spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
And now fully playable on the GT6 screen, see this video  :)  :arrow:

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: