Author Topic: US container interest check  (Read 40839 times)

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
US container interest check
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
---Edit---

Our (potential) partner in the US is John Yates aka Vectorman (klov) located in McLean, IL 61754.
http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=378652
www.vintagevideogames.com

Here is the current link to the project workspace (using asana):
https://app.asana.com/-/workspace_invite?k=efaeea9c165a1edd4c4b55ccdeef1c55&d=1169603838681&iid=1169590227549

---Edit---

Hi everyone.

I might have found a way to send a container from the US to europe without doing everything myself. It's all (very) early stages, but I would like to check if there is enough interest here.

Conditions:
1 --- its a retailer offering the service, means we'd need to buy games from him too (e.g. to above klov prices). the guy has SHITLOADS of games, lots of rare ones too
2 --- games and parts from other sellers are okay, we just need to find a good ratio/mix of the retailers' games and games from other sources
3 --- games and parts can be stored at retailers location til we have it all together for the container
4 --- that said, shipping will be USD 2000-4000 per container, USD 100-150 per game (no VAT included)
5 --- VAT will be about 20% of value we ship games for i guess (i.e. games are "worth" USD 100 each = USD 40-50 VAT per game)
6 --- 24 games in case of 20ft and 48 games in case of 40ft container
7 --- pickup of games in a european harbour of (our) choice

Questions:
1 --- Is there enough/any interest in this at all?
2 --- Which games in the US are you guys and gals looking for and how much would you wanna pay for them.

I think this is a mid term project, i.e. I don't see the container shipping before early next year. I do think of it as an option to get a hold of some of the grails and maybe even more ;-)

I also can assist in finding the games in the US if there's demand. Anything else you want to know?

Thanks, Thomas

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:01:04 AM by Love »
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
US container interest check
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
No interest AT ALL? Really?

I didn't expect that. Can you guys and gals please tell me why?  :?

Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

caincan

• View Profile
Re: US container interest check
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
hi...paul50's has tried (and succeeded) this kind of thing..  but his price were harsh...

if you have a listing of your retailer,  i could be interested to look it.    i wish find some games,  5-6... ::)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
the thing is: a lot of people have tried before to put a container together, but most of the attemps have failed because of the large amount of money involved. perhaps oll could chime in here, he's importing stuff from the usa on a regular basis if i'm not mistaken ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Yes, there are few posts about that, right here or here for example...
A list of the games available would be the first motivation factor  ::)

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Well, I would suggest that anybody do the deals themself and pay directly to the seller whoever that is (klov, retailer, friend, craigslist, you name it). We are not restricted to the games of the guy who is providing the container service. We can buy everything we'd like to from any seller in the US (and maybe even Canada).

So, if anyone is doing the deals themself there is not much money involved. USD 150 for shpping per game are not very much, no?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:45:52 PM by Love »

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
A list of the games available would be the first motivation factor  ::)

I think a list of the games wanted would be a better starting point, as games can come from all available sources.

Please tell me what you are looking for! Also, I can assist in looking for games or make contact if need be...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:39:52 PM by Love »

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
Okay here is the starting point. The list of stuff the "guy" has (for sale).  :pac: :pac: :pac:

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Well, I would be interested in a nice Donkey Kong cabinet.
Prefer blue, but a pretty orange DK Junior is fine too.

And after ready the list, depending on the price of course, the Medieval Madness pinball machine maybe.
Does your supplier have pics and additional info on the cabinets?

-Barry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:48:29 PM by joeks »
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
some nice games in there, still on the top of my list: TAPPER and TRACK & FIELD

also interested in SUPER PAC-MAN and SATAN'S HOLLOW
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Yes, the guy will have fotos and info of games we are interested in. But as I said: I would like to know what you guys are looking for to see if the stuff is aavailable over there and if the prices are okay with you.

Anyways, here are the pros for the whole thing:
1 - Retailer did this before. Is just sending a container to Australia.
2 - Retailer accepts games from other sellers in the deal. These can be stored at the retailers facility.
3 - Retailer has lots of interesting games himself.
4 - Retailer is going to do most of the paper work and stuff.

Cons:
1 - Prices for retailers games are above klov prices.

Sound good?

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »
some nice games in there, still on the top of my list: TAPPER and TRACK & FIELD

also interested in SUPER PAC-MAN and SATAN'S HOLLOW

I recently was going to buy a SH for 450 on klov but ran out of money. Another one was sold there in the last two weeks for usd 400 i think. Maybe you saw them yourself? Just FYI.

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Sounds good.
Just curious for the prices and pics at this moment.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
Sounds very interesting. But what about the taxes you have to pay to get the shipment into Europe? That is the biggest problem imho. From what I have found out looking into this it is between 20-30% and is calculated over the total shipment costs plus insurance costs plus of course the price of the game. It adds up to quite a lot.
Btw, Andy from the UK is doing something simmilar: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3635.0

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Sounds very interesting. But what about the taxes you have to pay to get the shipment into Europe? That is the biggest problem imho. From what I have found out looking into this it is between 20-30% and is calculated over the total shipment costs plus insurance costs plus of course the price of the game. It adds up to quite a lot.
Btw, Andy from the UK is doing something simmilar: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3635.0

Andy describes pretty well how one can keep taxes low. Basically its a tradeoff between insurance (real value of cabs) or low import tax (cabs are labeled as "trash" and therefore not fully insured). I am buying cabs from him coming with this container btw.

My option is thought to be more of a mid term project (like 1st or 2nd quarter 2013), so we can all harvest the US market for a while. Also shipping price is lower here compared to his offer.