Author Topic: [スーパーレイジーロードの旅!!] ナムコポールポジション  (Read 71142 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Thanks all!  :)

OT, but I saw this bad boy for sale over in Australia:

Thats awesome !, i neve saw a cocktail racer!, very weird to see a steeringwheel on a table  :D

Laschek

Thats awesome !, i neve saw a cocktail racer!, very weird to see a steeringwheel on a table  :D

Then take a look at this Monaco GP, it's even weirder, looks like they incorporated a Vectrex into the table  ;D

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8733

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
 :o :o :o

Does it have force feedback?  ;D :D ;D

My goodness, they did not even put a steeringwheel in there with an appropriate size!
That thing is huge in comparation with the table !

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Haha that does look like someone attached a Vectrex!  Looks like someone replaced the original wheel with a "The 300" wheel that Atari used.  With that on, I can't imagine you could get close enough to see much of the screen  :D

The Taito Table Top Speed Race has an even tinier wheel.  It actually looks more like a valve knob:

I was able to safely remove the Namco emblem by grinding down an old flat head screwdriver so that it was really slim, warmed up the emblem with a hair dryer, and got between the emblem and the edge of the wheel enough to lift it out and get underneath.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:29:13 PM by ataritoobin »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Nice work, I guess there will be a vectorized emblem available soon. :D

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Nice work, I guess there will be a vectorized emblem available soon. :D

:D

Starting to think a bit about the seat.  Seems to be pretty simple construction, a wooden base, foam and a Naugahyde covering with what appears to be tubing around the upper edge and some stitching.

Here's what the original looks like vs. my cabinet:

I have the basic dimensions of the of the original seat, but I'm not really sure where to begin (probably with the wood base  :lol:).  I've watched a few tutorials on tubing/piping - would definitely have to get some practice in  :o  I'll confirm that's indeed what the edging is constructed of - seems the back of the seat is for sure "piped".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:23:23 PM by ataritoobin »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
What about the atari version, does that one came with a seat too?

ataritoobin

• View Profile
What about the atari version, does that one came with a seat too?

You know, I never thought about it until now, but I don't think I've ever played an Atari cockpit PP  :-X !  Just the uprights - can't recall ever seeing one in person.

If it's the same as Red Baron, I think the seat is part of the cabinet (sort of like the way mine is now - sitting on the laminate shelf :D)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:48:41 PM by ataritoobin »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
No Atari never made it too comfy in the cockpits probably to get people out of it again after a while... ;)

Also molest would be more common in US arcades compared to Japan I guess.

I still think the SW cockpit is surpringly acceptable to sit in for 30-45 minutes considering it is just two hard planks....

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
okay, nice to know, that will safe me some work...  ;)

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Got a package in the mail yesterday:

CP from a Taito America Grand Champion ($9.99 with no other bids on eBay  :-\).  The steering wheel is the closest thing I could find to a Namco wheel, and will fit the bill until I can restore the old one.  The original has a matte finish, the holes are slightly larger, and has a slight bend on each of the spokes.

Looks a wee bit cleaner I'd say!

Tombo over on KLOV kindly msg'd me and said he had a tube out of a TV that would work on the monitor in my Space Harrier if I needed it.  Just so happens Space Harrier uses the same monitor as Pole Position which has bad screen burn on it. 

Thanks, Tombo!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Tube swap was a success!  It was (much to my surprise) pretty uneventful.

I cleaned up the chassis and original yoke, since it was so dirty!  :?:

Here is the new tube with the yoke from the TV set.  There was a rubber stopper glued/taped on towards the neck board end to prevent the yoke from sliding.  I carefully cut the tape and was able to peel the stopper off:

Attached all of the original strapping, grounding and degaussing parts over.  Installed the original yoke and rings (sorry, cell phone pics!):

BEFORE:

Hard to see here, but the top was darker at the horizon line from the bright blue sky color getting burnt in.

AFTER:

After a few more tweaks:

In other Pole Position news, I received the replacement speakers for the front and ordered the new mat material.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:47:23 PM by ataritoobin »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Gorgeous, congratulation  :-*

One of the best arcade racing game ever done, but also one of the hardest one  :P

Really good on that one!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Picture is awesome, nice fix. ;)

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Thanks  :) !!

I got the mat in the other day.  SO close, but a few differences:

The ribs on the original are slightly "flatter" and more closely spaced.