Author Topic: Games in space, with rocks and saucers......Atari Italy Asteroids  (Read 64626 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Games in space, with rocks and saucers......Atari Italy Asteroids
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »
To be continued....

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
Very nice catch !

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
Very nice, love the road trip.... Did you play the kiss? It is the first one i have seen so far in benelux.

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
Cool! Congrats, and thanks for the nice writeup. Perhaps we get to see this in action at Eurocade?
On a sidenote, it made me think of Belgian beer. *droooool*.
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
No there wasnt really time to play anything but.........we agreed to go and play one "op café" in the fall :):)

Thanks guys and yes......there might be a pretty good chance the Asteroids will make it to Eurocade :):)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
So I got out the magic sponge and carefully went all over the outside, it is always amazing how many small spots you find on cabs and they disappear "magically" most of the time :)

Now the operator at one point in time decided 5F wasn't enough for a game of Asteroids (or was this always so Belgian friends ?) So he changed the set-up of the board and carefully installed a sticker RIGHT OVER THE UNIQUE ATARI ITALY/BERTLINO LOGO !!!!!  Was he crazy or something ? ;) ;) ;)

As if they cared about such things, LOL.

Anyway I feared it had been there for a LONG time and although sometimes operator stickers are actually nice, and other times you have no choice to leave them on I decided in this case I really wanted it gone so......let's give it a try.....

https://youtu.be/x5VDFgGbXzc

AMAZING !!!! Love that sticker manufacturer for using great glue !!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:55:21 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
Looks like the machine _has_ seen use before it switched to 2x5F....

A look at the Hantarex....to the far right you see the HV cage, left next to it is the power supply board. Left to that is the deflection board......I like it !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
This one's for Etienne....also....bit weird such a text....mmmm....

Looks like they didn't make too many......hand-written serial label....Dated: January 1980.

By the way, incidentally visited Firenze (Florence) a couple of weeks ago....beautiful place....nice to know where the Hanti's came from :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:21 PM »
Mmmmm.....nice, Euro-sized fuses on the monitor (in the distance, right in front of the green connector) but.....mmmm, those look not too healthy.....mmmmmm.....

Regular AR-I board...so they got these from Atari U.S.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
Regular game PCB also from the U.S.

A bit further down it gets more interesting again....this is different from Vernimark's Asteroids as his has a metal Power Brick but here they simply mounted everyting on a plank....and why not indeed ;) Maybe this was an early machine ? No idea....

Look at that wonderful mains plug....earth wire cut...no insulation in the plug etc.....f-ing amateurs....and the wire is like 10 cm. long !?!?!?

O well, will give it a nice new mains wire with molded plug :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »
Now, the seller already told me the voltage rectifier was bust, so he removed the outgoing wire from the Big Blue cap as a precaution.

Robin had seen the Asteroids posted on my Facebook page and I felt he was interested to see it and also....it was time for a cup-of -coffee and a chat anyway so I asked him over to come have a look.

So we first had a look at those rectifiers. On LL and Asteroids Power bricks there are small PCBs with two big diodes which do a half-wave rectification.
Here the set-up was similar but....I was puzzled by what I was looking at. It turned out to be some totally weird diodes which I've never seen before. They were soldered on one side to the fuse holders (both fuses were blown, no wonder because both diodes were totally shorted and thus needed to be replaced).
The other side was kinda held together by a clamp, electrically connecting them and the wire that runs to the plus of the Big Blue.

There was a bit of confusion but I checked and showed the manual to Robin and it's easy enough to understand. We removed the diodes, tested them again (both full short) and so we had to think of replacing them somehow because we were both very curious to see if there would be some life in the machine :)

I thought I still had some pretty fat diodes around but couldn't find them, but then we got the ida that we could use "half" a diode bridge. I have a couple of those in my stack of shit..I mean parts boxes, so got one out, checked it and hooked it up temporarily....

We could simple solder the AC coming from both fuses to the AC in of the bridge rectifier, and the + to the outgoing wire to the Big Blue.

The minus output has nothing to do in this situation since we only need a half rectification (in fact, trying to hook up the minus to anything would result in disaster ;)

Now anyone ever seen this type of diodes ? I have seen lots of kinds but this was new to me...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »
Here's the master soldering in the temporary diode bridge.

Looks like this...

So.....we dared to power it up now...everything connected....let's go....

Well what we see basically is a vertical stripe but it's clear enough that there are objects moving and you can even see the brighter bullets of the attract mode....this is a great sign as it shows there is life in the PCB :)

So next step: what could be the horizontal deflection not working ?

Well usually on other vector monitors it often means that one (or more) of the big power transistors has failed. So I check them all but there are no devastating shorts on any....

SO...let's check the fuses. There are always fuses to protect the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) deflection coils in the yoke...
So no surprise, we measure an open on the horizontal one....mmmm could it _REALLY_ be "just a fuse".
So we pop in a new Euro sized fuse and....same picture....mmmm...

OK we need to get out the monitor. We already had carefully removed the cardboard bezel (still original staples, it was never removed !!!) but Robin has a look and sees we can do a short-cut by removing only the chassis from the backside. So we do this, no lightning bolts when removing the HV cup so that was nice.

We measured some more transistors then Robin decides to measure the fuses again from the solder side and........we have an open on the horizontal deflection !!! But there was a brand new (tested!) fuse !!!

Well indeed turns out the fuse holder was really so bad that it wouldn't contact at all !!!!!!

Replaced BOTH fuse holders (nice to have some stock) and the fuses and put back the chassis.....and..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMUPjweet9M

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:35:46 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
Never saw those diodes, but they sure look beefy !

Cool, Its just a fuse..  nice Fix !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
So we were really happy to see that and decided that was enough work for the evening and enjoyed some chat and drinks...

I powererd up the machine after Robin had left and although I had the moving screen again I really wanted to see if I could start a game. Had put it on free-play but the P2 button doesn't respond an the P1 button is missing altogether.

I figured out which wire color was connected to the P1 pin using this:

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=pinout&page=Asteroids.txt

so I could start a game...however, I noticed that there were some weird vectors going on on the screen and also that sometimes when that happened the game resets. (It probably crashes and the watch-dog restarts it).

This is typical behavior of bad ROM contacts and indeed there was a lot of black corrosion gunk on the ROMS.

I guess this happens because the dual-wipe sockets look to be gold (or brass ?) sockets where the pins of the chips are "silvery" stuff....anyway, two different metals react is what I've learned at school.

So today I polished all the pins of the ROMs but....I still have resets. I did manage to play one game completely though, so in essence the board is working.

I bet it's just a matter of replacing the sockets.

And yes of course I regulated the +5V measuring at the end of the board ;) In fact I checked all voltages incl. ripple on the Big Blue....this might be a bit on the high side, have to have a 2nd look at it....

Anyway.....I think we got pretty damn far very quickly :)

"it's only a fuse" holder....in this case....well almost only ;)

Ordering sockets (I decided to stop using those breakable sockets...they seem to be of not that great quality...)

That leaves me some time to fully clean the cab's inside....and the monitor :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
Forgot to post a pic of the (temporary) diode bridge setup. Might look into making this permanent by setting it up properly...I have no desire to find those ancient original diodes.... :D