Author Topic: Games in space, with rocks and saucers......Atari Italy Asteroids  (Read 64515 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Games in space, with rocks and saucers......Atari Italy Asteroids
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
Thats high gloss like a mirror, in other words (IMHO)Ghetto.

Only buy that if you want your cabinet to look like this...:

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
allthough some think it is the plastic that yellowed

I think so.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
Well Etienne, the sides actually DO look that glossy..........and the more I look at it, the more I like it !!!
It totally makes the black deeper and the colors jump out. It's just cheapness and laziness that the U.S. And Irish games didn't have this.....

The Namco Galaxian is nice and shiny too :D

It's totally wrong what they did with that Nintendo of course, whoever did that should face life sentence...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Oh about that chrome T-molding nahhh, I'd never put that on it.....it's TOO silvery, like a mirror indeed, the stuff on their now has kind of a matt finish which makes it look much more classy.

I had another look, and if its aging that makes the gold sheen, it has aged amazingly even all around the machine......usually parts that see no sunlight are not or less effected......that is, if it is the same thing as with plastic casings discoloring...

Anyway....it stays....including damages here and their...already cleaned some of those parts up pretty well.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »
Too bad there are no flyers from those machines from Bertolino.....all I can find are these three:

http://www.flyerfever.com/search/Bertolino
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:03:32 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 12:06:35 AM »
SO......I got an e-mail last sunday night from a very good friend in the hobby well......he's a pinball guy really (not on this forum) but we know each other for quite some years now.

He says he bought a "lot" of pinballs and took some "video's" (as they call them :D) along the way. Three of them were generic cabs with various PCBs but one of them was an Asteroids. He sent two pictures and asked if I'd might know someone who would be interested, and if there still was some value for a machine like this.

He said right away the rectifier on the power "brick" was dead and that there was only a vertical, somewhat moving line on the screen.

From the pics, I immediately saw that it was an Italian Asteroids, a machine which I had very recently played near Milano Italy :)

SO yeah, I knew someone interested: ME ! :D

What a chance to do a very quick by-pass on this mega-project that I still had waiting as project nr.X....

So we agreed on a price that we were both happy with and that I'd pick it up on tuesday afternoon.

Was working in Moerdijk, which was already a bit in the direction of Belgium from my home, so I decided to drive up directly from work (removed a bunch of work stuff from the car first...didn't need it that day anyway....)

Was working at a huge tyre trading company where they have more tires than anyone can imagine, and this is just one of their many large buildings around there...it makes you wonder where they all go....but then again millions of cars only in our little country...

The inside of the hall you see....that single building has 8 halls like that...it's crazy...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:10:12 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:12 AM »
So I'm done at about 16h. and drive off....this is a huge industrial area famous for big fires ;)

Here's another big company....do you know what they produce ? Substrates to grow mushrooms on (Champigons)....yeah...

Well that's all very interesting but I have more important things to do. The travel time is only about an hour, I need to be just a bit south of Antwerp.

It's holiday time so the roads are nice and calm these days, I'm expecting a trouble free drive...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
However as soon as I get near Antwerp it seems that my good friends the Belges (love them, they make the best beer in the world, and usually they are nice and calm people ;)) seem to not understand that in holiday time you are expected to not create any traffic jams..... ;D

For like it seems no reason at all the Kennedy tunnel has a speed limit of 70 and following that there is this traffic jam :(
There is also another tunnel around the city but that is TOLL and we Dutch hate paying TOLL, we're just not used to it. (We already pay LOADS of other taxes....)
Also....there are no traffic information panels on the routes to Antwerp so I had no clue about the traffic situation....O well....

It's not that horrible, just 15 minutes more travel time...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 12:23:15 AM »
Once through the tunnel there were no more problems and quickly I arrived at the seller's place.

We had a nice chat (also with his dad, a collector of those amazing ancient Bingo machines) and the Asteroids was already there waiting for me....

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:18:38 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
No back door so I can quickly inspect the inside. Standard AR-I board and PCB but.........there IS a surprise:

A Hantarex Vector monitor !!!! NICEEEEEEE :) :) :)

I was surprised since Vernimark's machine has a G05-801 inside.... ( http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=11 ), I had checked that website before of course :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 12:30:26 AM »
After more relaxed chatting it was time to load the machine. I've had the Asteroids shell in my trusty Octavia before so I knew it was an easy fit.

This is the last haul I did with this car, as I will be starting a new job per october first....

Hey this machine has a little "tail" under it ! This turns out to be a grounding point.....WEIRD !!!

You can also see the "car stereo" speaker grill, another typical feature of the Italian version :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
Just before I leave I took a look at the brand new Kiss pinball machine and even though I'm not a big Kiss fan........this is one LOVELY pinball machine and it made me want to rob the local bank so I could order one......drool !!!

The drive back was smooth and boring...the cab didn't crack or make other funny noises like the usually do....this seems to be one sturdy baby !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 12:37:17 AM »
Yes yes....almost at your new home, the Arcade Capital of Europe, soon many arcade-nuts from all over Europe will arrive here, can't wait !!!! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
SO.....once arrived Mrs.Level 42 agreed that I could put the machine in my favorite "first inspection spot".....yep....for a day or two....yep....

The machine looks pretty damn nice, but it sure has it's "battle scars". The usual dents and scrapes on the sides, the usual %#*+$?!!%^ cigarette burns on the CP and some weird spots of gunk on the T-molding. Even a bit of writing on the CP...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:22:56 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 12:44:42 AM »
That writing was no match for my magic spong, but the cigarette burns will require some more attention...if possible at all...

Even the CP seems to have some kind of glossy transparant paint over it, it almost feels like plastic, but it's still a metal panel for sure...the great thing about that clear paint layer is that the artwork itself hasn't faded a bit !!! Compared to the U.S./Irish panels this is pretty rare...I'll make a pic of the one I have on offer now, it has worn so badly that the paint went off completely and the bare metal rusted....anyway, another + for Bertolino !

The T-molding really improved from a bit of magic sponge too:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:25:10 AM by Level42 »