Author Topic: [Roadtrip] World of Kong  (Read 43987 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] World of Kong
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »

i've given up hope to have a full american-style nintendo row (the donkey kongs, popeye and mario bros.) in my (yet to be) gameroom because those cabinets are almost impossible to come by in germany (and even in europe) and when you're lucky to score one, they usually cost tons of money. it IS possible to get one (as andré and bruno have proven) or you could scr3een one yourself  ;), but a full row ...  :shock:

therefore i've decided on a new plan of attack  :spaceace:

in germany donkey kong was licensed by nintendo to env who built their own german-style version of donkey kong (with their own sidearts). while those cabinets are completely different from the american-style cabinets and not as beautiful, they have their own charm and do pop up from time to time. so i've decided to get a german-style nintendo row instead. after all, this is my home  :)

i've missed out on two german donkey kong auctions on ebay over the last couple of months, when i suddenly and unexpectedly received an email from one of the sellers telling me that the original buyer had backed out of the deal and that the cab was still available ...

ROADTRIP TIME!!!  8)

luckily, the seller's location was close to another "point of interest" i've wanted to visit for some time now, so i combined those two. here's what's coming up  :arrow:

because this is going to be quite a ride, i'm starting pretty early!

the sun hasn't come up yet

as cat steven's used to sing: "morning has broken"

after some boring hours on the road - the audio book cd that i had chosen for the trip isn't working  >:( - i reach the county's border!

the seller's location is close to the county's capitel Hannover - so this sign is a sign of hope to me  :)

the cab on location in a summer house (damn, i forgot to take a picture from the outside)

i've never seen a german-style nintendo cab where one of the sidearts is intact. most of the time, the sidearts are either completely missing or the upper part has been torn off (like on the left-hand side of my cabinet). however, i can call myself lucky as the right sideart is indeed complete with only a large scratch on it. this gives me the chance to scan it, have it vectored and eventually reproduced.

the seller and his mum are transporting the cab to my car while i'm taking pictures  8)  ;)

loaded!!! yeah, baby!!!

now that the first part of this roadtrip is over, i'm entering my next stop into the navigation device. i've been talking to stefan lietz, owner of "world of arcade", on and off over the last three to four weeks. he said he might have some cabs i could be interested in and because his warehouse is nearby i'm taking this opportunity to pay him a visit!

only 40 kilometers to go this time!

the scenery is beautiful around here - and the sun is shining brightly! what a wonderful day  :-*

the netherlands?

after half an hour on the road, i have reached my destination. i was expecting a huge metal storehouse with a sign "WORLD OF ARCADE" in front / on top of it, but this is what i see  :arrow:

inside, a mess of cabs and token machines - who wants an asteroids;)

the object of my affection is this paperboy, but have a look at the condition of the cab: the sides have been painted white, the t-molding slots have been "filled", the left and right side of the control panel have broken off, the overlays are damaged or missing and and and ...

i have to negotiate on the price a little bit more ...

next up, an asteroids deluxe next to a missile command.

this was the laugh of the day  :lol: look what we "discovered" when we pulled the MC out - hand-painted sideart!

a space harrier - fully working, but partly disassembled. stefan told me that all the parts are there, it's just being worked on right now!

a german-style phoenix with scramble installed. the wonderful sidearts are full of scratches  :'(

up next a cab i had originally planned on buying: a very rare death race machine! however - once again - look at the condition of that thing: no front art, no back door, huge damages to the wood everywhere, rust on the handles, missing writing on the cpo, scratches on the b&w monitor BUT fully working. i've played it for some seconds with stefan, but while this thing really is one of the rarest cabs out there, the sounds are annoying and the overall condition of the cab is awful. it COULD be restored, but would need a lot of time, help and money!

some random shots

see that arkanoid spinner on the donkey kong?

in another storage building: a galaxian, all the parts to rebuild it are there!

hidden in the back of the same building, i spot a gauntlet arcade machine. stefan tells me that there is no pcb inside and that i could have it for free if i wanted it. i already have a gauntlet at home, but this one has the full sideart (for scanning), not the cropped version. if i didn't have the donkey kong inside my car, i'd take it with me right away, so this will have to wait until later!

the room where stefan "stores" (or should i say "dumps"?) his spare parts  :arrow:

wiring anyone?  :o

work on the pcbs takes place here ...

behind the house, the ARCADE DUMP   :twisted:

enough for today, i had only planned to get a first impression. a lot of cabs are in rough shape and / or have been converted into something else. while i'm still thinking about the paperboy (and to a lesser degree about the death race), there's nothing else for me right now.

time to return home!

because of the german economic stimulus package, there are TONS of road construction sites on the "autobahns" which really slows you down.

the biggest construction site is 17 kilometers long and to make those 17 kilometers more tolerable, there are "smilie signs" by the side of the road telling you the distance until the road works are over. nice idea!

suddenly, a police car appears in front of me!  :shock: have a done something wrong, officer?

fortunately, it's obviously only a collector of classic cars. this is a nice one!!!

"the usual suspects" at the end of a road trip:

one country, four counties, 35 construction sites, 891 kilometers, 12 hours 4 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER!

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] World of Kong
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:57:38 PM »
As always cool pictures ully , and a great catch !,

DONKEY KONG !!!!!  :spaceace: :spaceace:

The smilies i recognise, i see them every day when i drive home from work in the highway that i pass  ;D

we got those in holland too  :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »
First of all... homepage of course  :-*  :arrow:

Well, regarding your location, you don't seems to be very far from my place  ::) ;)

I agree regarding the Nintendo US style cab are not easy to catch, but it's still possible. I've seen few in UK, and ... in Germany (see this huge road trip (in french( done by Zorg & Misteriddler right here).

But If it's a different cabinet, I love your 'so cute' German model too  :-*

The side art is beautiful, this is something to scan & preserve.

"the seller and his mum are transporting the cab to my car while i'm taking pictures "

And the courteousness then?  ::)  ;D

Regarding World Of Arcade, wow  :-* new stuff inside, since my last visit  :P

Plenty of Asteroids, yes  :-* :-* :-*  :arrow:

Even if this is not a cabinet too difficult to find, I still don't have it in my collection  :oops: And some of them looks in pretty good condition.
The Asteroids Deluxe is very nice too  :-*

You're right, the PaperBoy would require some serious stuff to do... but if this cabinet is in you 'MUST TO HAVE ABSOLUTELY LIST', then go for it (It reminds me the Space Ace completely trashed I got from UK, but I took it BECAUSE it was also in my MUST HAVE LIST... in the top five).

Regarding the MC, awesome  :D Looks a soviet cabinet now  ;)  :arrow:

I presume the Space Harrier *deluxe* is already sold? Because it's not easy to catch *working*.

I see the Starblade is still there for sale... It's a shame that no one get this historical game and one of the best 3D shooter game ever made... Let's say it's a space problem  :-\

The Death Race is still available?  :-* Arghh... a lot of work to do on it, but it's a major piece in any Arcade Collection  8) I hope you'll the one who'll take care of this baby  ;)

Thanks to you for that great story and for all these pictures  ;)

I'm sure you'll go back there very soon  ::) :P
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
Well, regarding your location, you don't seems to be very far from my place  ::) ;)

nope, i'm sure i'll pay you (and your lair) a visit in the not so distant future  :)

"the seller and his mum are transporting the cab to my car while i'm taking pictures "

And the courteousness then?  ::)  ;D

of course there's more to the story: i asked the lady to take pictures with my camera while the seller and i were transporting the cab, but when she saw my cam she refused right away and said "you take the pictures, i'll carry that cab!"  ;)

Regarding World Of Arcade, wow  :-* new stuff inside, since my last visit  :P
Plenty of Asteroids, yes  :-* :-* :-*
Even if this is not a cabinet too difficult to find, I still don't have it in my collection  :oops: And some of them looks in pretty good condition.
The Asteroids Deluxe is very nice too  :-*

i agree, asteroids pop up from time to time, but they seem to be magically drawn to stefan's place  :twisted:. muerto asked me to pick one for him when i'm there, but as you can see on the picture, it is IMPOSSIBLE to even get to one, let alone all of them  :shock:
@muerto: stefan promised me he will be picking the best machine for you if you decide to get one from him. regarding the price: send me a pm!

You're right, the PaperBoy would require some serious stuff to do... but if this cabinet is in you 'MUST TO HAVE ABSOLUTELY LIST', then go for it .

it is on my MUST HAVE LIST. man, this control panel is a jewel in itself! the good thing is that everything is available reproductionswise, like the overlays and the sideart, but the asking price is imho too high. stefan wants 400 euros for it because it has a new monitor and the controls itself have been worked on, but the cabinet's condition ...  :'( what do you think?

I presume the Space Harrier *deluxe* is already sold? Because it's not easy to catch *working*.

well, muerto was interested it and i guess he has the right of first refusal.

The Death Race is still available?  :-* Arghh... a lot of work to do on it, but it's a major piece in any Arcade Collection  8) I hope you'll the one who'll take care of this baby  ;)

yeah, still available! stefan isn't the one who's selling the machine, he's selling it FOR someone from berlin. i've already talked with the actual seller and he's willing to let go of it for 100 euros (because that's what he paid to get it to stefan). for that price, i'd take it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately stefan had to do a lot of work on it (wasn't working when he got it), so stefan is asking an additional 250 euros for parts and time. so that's 350 bucks for the death race in that condition. still hesitant! what do you guys think?

well, normally i SHOULD get it, because i already have the t-shirt  ;D

but i have so many projects to work on right now (if i decide to take the paperboy this will extend my estimated project time until 2013 :D) and of course it's also a matter of money. wouldn't it be wiser to get this euro-style frogger instead (whose design i like much better than the american version with the exception of the round bezel)? frogger is an absolute classic which everyone loves and which has huge replay value!

follow the link for more pictures: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=91480&highlight=frogger

I'm sure you'll go back there very soon  ::) :P

i have a huuuge roadtrip coming up (probably next weekend) where i'll be picking up a RARE game (which i have wanted for so long and never expected to get it). i've never seen it in europe before (i was told it was imported from the usa) - won't tell you what it is though until later :P. i'll probably have to rent a trailer because i might also be adding an arcade-free mundane couch  :-* and if there's space, i might at least get the gauntlet from stefan and perhaps the paperboy. still thinking hard about that!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:49:08 PM »
The smilies i recognise, i see them every day when i drive home from work in the highway that i pass  ;D
we got those in holland too  :D

never seen those in germany before, i guess they are only used on looong construction sites!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
wow!!!!! that asteroids deluxe is sweeeet looking, and of course the MC!!

.... is it this one youve been talking about ully: Asteroids:::

nice galaxian cab!:

and a gauntlet.. was it only the cab? or was there a CP on it?

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the report Ully, it was again very nice to read/watch ;)

If I were in your position I would choose the Death Race over Frogger. I know the Death Race requires a lot of work, but once finished it will look much better than Frogger :D. I really like the Death Race cabinet design.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »
Regarding the prices, I would able to do crazy things (and I already did it many times :oops:) for games inside my 'MUST HAVE' list. So it's only up to you.
Such games are very hard to find in Europe, and so, there's no real 'market' value because... there's not enough sales, and we cannot establish an average price... So 400€ for that Paperboy would be *a way to much* for some guys, but if you're almost sure that you won't have a chance to get your favorite game soon, then go for it... Once again, there's no real market value for such games, here in Europe.
I've seen several times Paperboy cabinet in UK... but ... Never seen a Death Race. I would be more exited about this one, even if that cab would require a lot of work.
By the way, I was in a same situation when I got my SPACE WARS cabinet. A LOT of work to do on it... but... It was impossible to miss the opportunity to own the piece of history  :)

Argh, I love your Death Race t-shirt  :-* :-* :-* Now, you'll have to catch the game, impossible to skip it  :P

:spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
i have a huuuge roadtrip coming up (probably next weekend) where i'll be picking up a RARE game (which i have wanted for so long and never expected to get it). i've never seen it in europe before (i was told it was imported from the usa) - won't tell you what it is though until later :P. i'll probably have to rent a trailer because i might also be adding an arcade-free mundane couch  :-* and if there's space, i might at least get the gauntlet from stefan and perhaps the paperboy. still thinking hard about that!

TEEEEAAAAASSSSSIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!  :P ;D ;D ;D

(ps : can I tease inside your teasing by the way  ::) :P ;D ;D ;D)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »

sure you can - go for it! i'll give you a hint for my game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmK5X4KtSzA

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
If I were in your position I would choose the Death Race over Frogger. I know the Death Race requires a lot of work, but once finished it will look much better than Frogger :D. I really like the Death Race cabinet design.

the problem is that it might be impossible to ever finish the death race. i don't know of any reproductions / stencils for that ...

and: frogger is the much better game. man, i'm torn!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »

sure you can - go for it! i'll give you a hint for my game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmK5X4KtSzA

Jungle King ! :D

Wow Stefan really stocked up since last time I was there (to pick up the meteor). Here I am fiddling with my bootleg Asteroids and there are a TON of Asteroids cabs there !!!

Missile Command is Irish built ! Never seen an Irish built one before. What a deep shame about the side-art.

That Galaxian was already there when I visited them, sides are in very poor shape. Did you notice the Taito (Japanese) SI ? Now that would be nice if it would be in good shape and working ;) I like it much more than the Midway cab.

Love your DK cab. I have a soft spot for European "rarities" like this ! Great condition !!! Wonder if it has the original board set.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
Jungle King ! :D

WRONG, but it would be great to have one. L-O-V-E that game  :-*

Missile Command is Irish built ! Never seen an Irish built one before. What a deep shame about the side-art.

what's the difference between the american and the irish-built version? perhaps mine is irish, too! need a pic?

Love your DK cab. I have a soft spot for European "rarities" like this ! Great condition !!! Wonder if it has the original board set.

thx man, i love that cab, too! the problem with my planned german-style nintendo row however will be to fit those us marquees, bezels, and panels into the german cabs, because they (the cabs) are a little bit wider. but i don't want to rush things, to have one is good enough for now!

good thing that you're mentioning the board set, i knew that i had forgotten something  :-\ the donkey kong pcb is NOT in the cabinet, only a dig dug bootleg called zig zag. however, i should be getting an original pcb soon (if the deal comes through as promised). but DK will have to wait, i won't be bringing any more games up into my apartment until at least WoW and Toobin' are finished (which should be pretty soon though)!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »

the problem is that it might be impossible to ever finish the death race. i don't know of any reproductions / stencils for that ...

and: frogger is the much better game. man, i'm torn!!!

The real question is: Why on earth didn't you pick-up one of those Asteroids ??  :o

About Death Race restorations and availability of artwork: ThisOldGame.com has done a set for the white (!) Death Race that is now at Fun Spot. I can't find any links right now but I've seen a thread somewhere about the full (impressive !) restoration.

The MC has a different looking marquee than what I remember from the US version.
Irish Atari cabs are always very easy to identify: they have the shiny stainless steel coin doors.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:30:36 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 11:34:15 PM »
Have to correct: Marquee looks the same as US...

By the way, you should post the DK pictures on KLOV forum. It's always fun to see the US guys respond to Euro cabs :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:36:46 PM by Level42 »