Author Topic: :: Starblade :: The making of...  (Read 15810 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: Starblade :: The making of...
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:54:56 PM »
Wow,

I'm a long time subscriber to the fantastic UK Retro Gamer magazine but this month, this is a fantastic issue  :-*

:arrow: The Making of Starblade (with also informations about Galaxian3) on 4 pages  :arrow:

#sample :

(Sorry but don't ask me to provide the full scan of this because (c) as you can guess)

I strongly suggest to catch this issue specially because there are a lot of arcade footage, such :

The Making of Asteroids (cover + 8 pages!!!)
Power Drift
The Making of Super Sprint ( 9 pages!!!)
Starblade of course  :P

...and many many more Retro stuff  :-* :-* :-*

Man, this mag rocks  :P

Here's the link to order it : http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/item_show.php?itemID=1332&action=maglist

:spaceace:

jcp

• View Profile
Re: :: Starblade :: The making of...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
Beside the making of Starblade, this is the best issue I've read too (well, in fact, I've only 3 paper issues ;D ,but I've got the first DVD edition too which groups about the 30 first issues with poor scanning quality :'( ).

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
Very nice !!! I'd like to buy this one, in all honesty more for the Asteroids story but the Starblade and Super Sprint stories will be very cool to read too.

Do you have a subscription Bruno ? What does it cost you ?

Do they often "do" arcade games ?

Cheers, Andre

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
Andre,

you can buy it online (about 9,5€ for the complete transaction) : here.

There is a few left, don't miss this issue !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
Yeah, I had seen Bruno's link, just wanted to know about a subscription, but I already found all info on the site.

Saw all those back-issues and it looks like I would have wanted a good deal of those mags too....should have know earlier.

Well, my birthday is soon so maybe a subscription is a good gift for my wife to give ;)

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:38:04 PM »
Here is a review ;) (The next issue 71 has an article about AfterBurner!!!).

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
WOW what a great mag ! Love it !

Wish I had known earlier, many back issues that I would love to have !

This months features the making of The Empire Strikes Back, is that about the Atari vector game ? Must be....anyone has it already ? Worth ordering. I should subsrive I guess.....but muchos dineros for other arcade stuff going out these days.....

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
Thank you very much for this one. I just ordered this #68 issue.

Would you perhaps know if they wrote something about Solvalou, and if so in what issue? Solvaou is sort of a prequel to Starblade, even though the story and themes are different, they have many similarities like the cabinet with the mirror.

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »
Thank you very much for this one. I just ordered this #68 issue.

Would you perhaps know if they wrote something about Solvalou, and if so in what issue? Solvaou is sort of a prequel to Starblade, even though the story and themes are different, they have many similarities like the cabinet with the mirror.

I think it may have been mentioned, but you are right the cabs are very similiar, although I have yet to see one in the flesh. They seem to be much more rarer than Starblades.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »
Oh yes. Very rare in deed. I have seen one, the upright type with a 20'' monitor in a smaller arcade in London years ago. By chance I should add. As I was walking past the windows of this arcade with a friend of mine, actually she was in a kind of hurry but I think that I cried out something like ".. uh,.. Solvalou? ..", so we went inside for short visit. I played it a couple of rounds, ofcourse at the time being too excitied to manage the sutiation, I wouldn't even be able to tell you the color of my eyes. And ofcourse this was in the time before digital cameras so no pictures were taken. But certain impression stayed with me through the years, like; I remember that the analog joystick wasn't very comfortable, and the cabinet har lots of blue on the panel. I think the arcade was somewhere near Soho.

And, I even spoke to namco about Solvalou. As I returned from London where I was working at the time so I did some commuting back and forth during a period, having seen Starblade I immediately called namco to find out the price. "£2500" - oops. Big money back then for a young lad like me. But somehow the receptionist mentions Solvalou, and that it was similar to Starblade but not as successfull. From that moment I started the hunt for this illusive game, Solvalou, because "like Stablade" it had to be polygons made by namco, and that was enough for me.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »
I've missed a rare Solvalou cockpit one or two years ago  :-\ It was on ebay UK or Germany.... grrrr  :'(
I've never had the chance to play on the real arcade game... only the PS port.
The Solvalou board comes for sale from time to time... but unfortunately not the original full size cockpit  :-\

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
Yes Nuno. I remember there was a complete Solvalou DX in good shape on ebay some time ago. I got the impression it was in the USA, I cannot remember, it could very well have been in the UK or Germany. I would never dare to buy the whole cabinet today with the limited space I have. I've already had to scrap too many original machines simply because I needed space, and I would never forgive myself if I'd come to the conclusion to disassemble a Solvalou DX, even though I would save the boards for later install in another cab. That game is just too rare and valuable.

How do I attach a picture from the auction?

Aha. It was a american auction by seller "Salinpac" in Feb 10 -2008.