Author Topic: Dragon’s Lair DS submitted for final publisher approval!  (Read 26063 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Dragon’s Lair DS submitted for final publisher approval!
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »

"Dragons Lair: The fantasy adventure where you become a valiant knight, on a quest to rescue the fair princess from the clutches of an evil dragon. You control the actions of a daring adventurer, finding his way through the castle of a dark wizard, who has enchanted it with treacherous monsters and obstacles. In the mysterious caverns below the castle, your odyssey continues against the awesome forces that oppose your efforts to reach the Dragon's Lair. Lead on, adventurer. Your quest awaits!"

Dragon's Lair features the hero, Dirk the Daring, attempting to rescue Princess Daphne from the evil dragon Singe locked in a wizard's castle. The screen shows animated scenes, and the player executes an action by selecting a direction or pressing the sword button with correct timing. Instead of controlling the character's actions directly, players control his reflexes, with different full motion video (FMV) segments playing for correct or incorrect choices. The comedy of the game stemmed from not only the bizarre looking creatures and death scenes, but the fact that while Dirk was a skilled knight, he was somewhat clumsy in his efforts and was a reluctant hero, prone to shrieking and reacting in horror to the various dangers he encounters.

The Nintendo DS™ version features a plethora of unique features while still maintaining the original game play, quality and style of the arcade release from 1983. In addition to this, the Nintendo DS™ game is the only version in the history of the franchise to utilize the original laserdisc footage from a vintage 1983 laserdisc – all 30.000 frames worth! 

Nintendo DS features:

- 100% arcade accuracy and true to the original!
   - Ability to select number of lives
   - Unique “Intermission” giving a split second deserved break from the action
   - Volume adjustment for audio effects and video volume
   - Hilarious control mechanism by giving voice commands!
   - Fully stylus compatible in addition to d-pad
   - Support for the Nintendo Rumble Pak™
   - Includes optional “castle” scene from the 1983 European version of the game, which was never made available in the US version of the laserdisc
   - Hall Of Fame, high score list with the top 5 players!

“Even though there are a myriad of versions of Dragon’s Lair available today, the DS version is definitely shaping up to be one of the most faithful recreations ever produced. Sure—we all know that nothing compares to standing in front of an actual arcade cabinet and playing the real thing, but if you’re looking for a Dragon’s Lair fix without the laserdisc game maintenance headaches and the high cost, this might be just the ticket”
David Ellis, GameRoom Magazine (March 08)

Actual Nintendo DS™ Screenshots

About Dragon’s Lair

Dragon's Lair was one of the first laserdisc video games, released in June 1983 by Cinematronics. It featured polished Disney-like animation created by former Disney animator Don Bluth, and for the first time allowed players to control a fully realized character. Most other games of the era represented the character as a sprite, which consisted of a series of bitmaps animated by playing them in succession. However due to hardware limitations of the era, artists were greatly restricted in the detail they could achieve using that technique; the resolution, frame rate and number of frames were severely constrained. Dragon's Lair overcame those limitations by tapping into the vast storage potential of laserdisc, which completely freed the artist, but imposed other limitations on the actual game play. Even by today's standards, Dragon's Lair's graphics are good. The game's enormous contrast with other arcade games of the time created a sensation when it appeared, and was played so heavily that many machines often broke due to the strain of overuse. It was also arguably the most successful game on this medium and is aggressively sought after by collectors. To this day, the Dragon’s Lair game has sold more than 1,000,000 units across multiple platforms including but not limited to Commodore 64, SNES, Atari ST, Amiga, Mac, PC (floppy, CD, DVD), 3DO, DVD, Atari Jaguar and most recently a Blu-ray version compatible with the PlayStation 3.

ERKATENA75

• View Profile
Re: Dragon’s Lair DS submitted for final publisher approval!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
...Some months ago I bought a Nintendo DS just for this!!! :-*

YESSS!!!!

Gigi.

jumpman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »
Does anyone have any idea the time frame on when this game might actually see the light of day at retail? I'm very glad that is wasn't cancelled over the last few years and that it has finally been submitted for final publisher approval. This project appears to very much be a labor of love, and I really hope that United Coders continues with there plans to release Space Ace and DL2 at some later date. I would very much like to see those 2 titles get the special treatment that dragons lair has received on the DS. Although I'm sure these tiltles won't sell in the millions, There are many old school fans as well as some up and cummers who will greatly appreciate the effort!

Until Next Time,
Jumpman

ERKATENA75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »
Hey guys

Here the link for the Tech Demo NDS..... :shock:

http://dragonslair.dualscreenradio.com/

Gigi :twisted:

jumpman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:20:51 AM »
Yeah, thanks for that link. I actually listed that sight in a differant post awhile back just to show the new game info. I have had that tech demo on my DS for about a year now, and it shows how nice this game will look in the final product. Simply Fantastic!

Jumpman

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »
Looking forward to this seeing the light of day. 

jumpman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »
   Well, after several years of hardly no info, to a few updates within the last month, it appears that the United Coders DS version is no more. http://dragonslair.dualscreenradio.com/ you can view the latest info at the link. It appears the Digital Leasure has taken the reigns, and will release there own version for the DSi download service by the end of the year. I own a standard DS, as does most of the DS gaming world, and I really can't see a download only version doing that well, but for 5 bucks and under "maybe"! Digital Leasure has helped keep the Dragon's Lair torch going for many years, and for there effort I say a BIG THANK YOU!
    But I have owned several of there versions over the years, and I must say that each version has had it's own pluses and minuses! I expect this version to be no different. I really hope someone with ties to United Coders can shed some detailed light on what has really taken place, and let the community know if there version will ever be made available to fans in the future(special mail in offer, ect.). I would really hate to see all the options and hard work that they seemed to put in there edition go down the toilet!

Until Next Time,
Jumpman

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Hmm....I cannot see the pictures, and I am guessing that means the rest of you cannot either? I honestly am not sure how to post them here? Can anyone help? I selected the insert picture icon, then used my mac, and dragged the pics I want in between the IMG text. If anyone can help, I would appreciate!

You have to upload the pictures to some image hosting website like imageshack then use the provided html code/links to show the picture in your post.

Matteo

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
Welcome to you, HorusRisen. Got your first picture :

[click on picture for high resolution pic]

Thanks for sharing this with us  :-*

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
Well, the trailer of the Dragon's Lair Nintendo DSiWare is now available  :arrow:

subzero1970

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Steves Scale Arcade Models
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
DSiware PAH!!! I WANT THE CARTRIDGE VERSION I WANT IT ON A SHELF!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
'Dematerialization' of games... I thing it sad  :'(

My two favorite games on modern consoles are : Geometry Wars 2 (XBOX360) and Gravity Crash (PS3)... both are dematerialized... what'll happen in the future, when I won't have these consoles anymore? or not working (the games would die with the hardware) ? or when no more 'account' , no more 'proof' about the purchase of these games... I'll lost these games forever? No more memories about them? ...

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
'Dematerialization' of games... I thing it sad  :'(

My two favorite games on modern consoles are : Geometry Wars 2 (XBOX360) and Gravity Crash (PS3)... both are dematerialized... what'll happen in the future, when I won't have these consoles anymore? or not working (the games would die with the hardware) ? or when no more 'account' , no more 'proof' about the purchase of these games... I'll lost these games forever? No more memories about them? ...

Sad, but probably true... :'(

I guess when the PS3 and X360 will be long dead there will maybe be emulation, like there is MAME for arcade games. It's of course not the real thing, just like MAME... :(

This dematerialisation is not good for the economy either I think, now all funds go directly to the publisher. With a physical copy there is a company for the discs, boxes, artwork, distribution, shops,... Of course it's more expensive than a download copy but it sure helps the economy and employment for many people!
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
OMG!  petieken I want your sig with the mouse haha thats awesome! I totally did a double take.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »
OMG!  petieken I want your sig with the mouse haha thats awesome! I totally did a double take.
... rightclick --> save picture as....  :D