Author Topic: Arcade stories and maybe you can identify these games for me..  (Read 15211 times)

yuppicide

• View Profile
I've got three games I am trying to figure out what they are.. I thought I'd share some of my arcade experiences with you and along the way while reading maybe you can help me figure the games out so I can once again find and enjoy them.

I'm 36 now and I was fortunate to grow up in the 70's and 80's. From what I've noticed in life is that you get older and you start to realize that things today aren't as good as they used to be. Sure the games are more advanced nowadays, and the televisions are bigger, but I still wish I can go back to the "good ol days". Every generation of kids will "want to be older", "can't wait to get their license", "can't wait to move out of their parents house", etc. But once you get older and out in the real world, you realize just how much you liked it back then. You had free room and board. You could load up on junk food and still be thin (at least I was). Everything was so different and care free. The whole era was different and more relaxed. Some things back then I took for granted and no longer have these days. Gone are all of my handheld electric games, gone are most of the arcades I used to frequent, gone are the indoor fleamarkets in my area, and gone are most of the good used video game stores in my area. Gone are drive in movie theaters (okay so I don't care much about that one), but also gone are a lot of bowling alleys.

As a kid I can remember the first arcade game I ever saw. I believe it to be Sprint 2 from Kee Games.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9739

My Mom was on a bowling league or two. Back then bowling was so thriving they had an area in the bowling alley with a "babysitter" to watch you. I can recall a television in there, and some "bleecher" like highschool seats on the wall, and a tree painted on the wall. As I got a little older I remember my Mom started bowling at another place. They had around double the amount of lanes and was a nicer alley. Around this time I was old enough to roam around on my own. They had only that one game at the time that I can remember. It was off to the side. Not really near any of the lanes, towards the back where the Pro Shop and ball washer might be. I could see the light of the game all the way across the room. It mesmerized me. Even if I didn't have any quarters left I still wanted to hang out near it. I loved turning the wheel, and playing with the shifter. I also liked the loneliness over there.. it was kind of surreal because by the lanes it was so noisy and over here it was so quiet and peaceful. It was like that scene in "The Cable Guy" movie where his babysitter was the television. Later on they'd get more games, but since my memory is a bit foggy I can't remember what or when, but down by the snack bar they had an area with 8 or 10 games.

One of my earliest trips to a "real arcade" was with my Aunt and Uncle. They were young newlyweds at the time, without a lot of money recently having bought a house I believe, but they took me to Bowcraft Amusement for my birthday. You can see their website here, although it's nowhere the coolness it used to be.

http://www.bowcraft.com/

They always had rides, mini golf, a tiny (really tiny oval) go-kart track, and arcade games inside the main building. They had one of them kiddie rides where you drive like 2mph on a track inside a "racecar". You pretended to steer, but you couldn't because you were on a track. Somehow my friend managed to drive us off the track. Thank goodness we didn't go down the hill into the lake, because I can't swim. They had an upstairs and downstairs in the main building. The building was large enough to hold a few hundred games I believe. I remember playing Fire Truck and sucking at it. I liked driving the back and always hit stuff. Could this be the prelude to people saying I act like Kramer (see the episode where he drove the back of the fire truck). I always used to have a good time here until they got rid of all the games and started installing those whack-a-mole and ticket dispensing pieces of crap. I had been going here since I was about 10 years old or younger. Throughout the years they had a few different arrangements. Most of the time they had a newer mix of games and pinballs upstairs, downstairs was the older stuff. I want to estimate they usually had about 20 pinballs between the two floors and usually about 60 to 80 games! Outside they had a tent. It wasn't open for quite some time. They used it to store the old games that were not working. One could peek in the window with excitement and see things in there. Lots of things. Piles of things. One of them a huge spooky clown head. Sometime in the 80's or 90's they opened the tent and put even more arcade games in there! My friend could play for hours on one quarter with Black Tiger. We used to mash the colorful buttons on some 4-player wrestling game and the buttons used to spark! This is where I first saw Rabbit Punch. What a great game, with nice colorful graphics, and it talked. Sometime in the 80's when batting cages became popular, they were one of the first I can think of to install some. A short time later they got written up in the newspaper because the pitching machines were "unpredictable", and "dangerous". A lot of wild pitches being thrown and a lot of people being hit. I'd like to attribute this to stupid people or people looking for lawsuits, but maybe it was just the technology back then. I used to play Circus Charlie here. I think I have a love for games like this and classic games in general because back then you could get away with making a lot of cool stuff. Nowadays you can't make a lot of the games they made back then because no manufacturer is going to allow it. You can't do stuff like Kangaroo, Circus Charlie, or Mr. Do!. You have to do something involving dancing, or Tokyo Drift type stuff, or fighting. I think back then designers had a lot more freedom and creative expression. It really shows in the fun factor and playability of some games. Back then I didn't walk in an arcade and see a whole slew of fighting and racing games. There was a mix of a lot of different stuff.

The nice thing about this arcade is that there was a place across the street that bought and sold video games. They also had music and some other stuff. They published a weekly or monthly list of prices. I didn't like the old man who owned the place. His kids seemed kind of stuck up because they pretty much owned just about every game ever. Having had the store since the 70's any game that game in the store that they didn't have they kept. My friend went to their house one day and it was a garage full. They always seemed to list games on their list that were only rumored to exist, like Black Tiger for the NES. In fact, they still have a website up and list Black Tiger for sale. Great price too! Are there any laws about this stuff if I tried to place an order? I mean, it doesn't say anywhere on their website that items may not be in stock, etc, but I know they haven't updated anything in AGES... well, they do list PS2 stuff and XBOX stuff, so they haven't updated it since then. They supposedly have two stores, but I think they're closed. The one across from the arcade moved and eventually closed, yet it's still listed on the website. They have another store, which might still be open but it operated under a different name. Back then these prices would be high, but today a lot of these prices are decent. They had one more store which was the weirdest thing. I got directions to the store and made the drive down there. Took me about an hour to get there. I must have passed by the store 10 times without seeing it. You know why? The front of the store had all kinds of dog statues for sale! I finally went in and found out they sold video games too, but they were all the way in the back of the store. They basically had the dog stuff so people would come in and I think so the town would let them put the business in.

This brings us to the first game I am trying to identify. This is the only place I've ever seen this game at this Bowcraft Amusements place. It's a football game that used real footage from tv. I believe the control panel had half a football and underneath that was four buttons for you to select your move. I think it only had footage from two football teams in it. I'm in the mood to play it if I can find it again. Maybe it's at least emulated in MAME. At least if I could figure that out I'm on my way..

.. I'll post some more arcade stories later and you can help me figure out the other two games..

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade stories and maybe you can identify these games for me..
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
It could be this :

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/gtg.asp

but if you say the control panel had half a football then it's definitely this one  :arrow:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/nfl.asp

Bye,

Matteo  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
@yuppicide: perfect write-up! i totally agree with you on a lot of things. what strikes me most when i compare modern times with "the golden age" is the fact that everything is moving so fast today it's difficult to keep track (i'm talking about life in general here, not only games). games were easy to unterstand but hard to master with only limited controls compared to those modern age controllers: "if you want to kick your opponent in the butt, press A + Z + 1 and shake your nunchuk counter-clockwise"  ;) man that sucks! speaking of "suck": i don't get sucked into current games anymore, i start playing them but after a while i get extremely bored.

perhaps i'm simply getting old ...  :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »
@Superully: Me too! ;D ;D ;D

I try various titols like Serious Sam, Far Cry, etc etc.
Ok amazing graphic, but You just walking around, kill monsters, find secrets items, find next level and... restart again the same plot... boring!
I have an "old" Atari2600 and a c64 in working condition and much time is spent on whit "classic old" games.
My son ( 5 year old ) enjoy the games (luckly I have various joystick away). ;) ;)

I'm hoping to have soon a break from the job, to start the recoverig of Xevious, expecially for My son. ;D ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »
First of all, thanks for sharing your 'Arcade' memories with us  ;)

Like Flip or Ully, I have the same feeling about modern games  :?
Sure, I've enjoyed to play (and finish) Gear of War and others modern games, but ... for some reasons ... I don't have the need to play these games again, or maybe with friends or colleagues during an online multi players session. Well, not as much as playing Pac Man, Galaxian or Xevious again... and again  :P

See, I own an XBOX360... and I play always the same games : Geometry wars (same gameplay than Robotron), Pac Man Champion Edition, the new Galaga Legion (awesome game!!!) ... and YES, Gyruss, Pac Man 'original' on XBL ... because I love the World ranking via X360 live  ;D Of course, I'm trying new games, it's fun few days, something few weeks or even months, but I won't never play them after Years! These new games are not as strong as classics for me, and I doubt they'll ever be one day... :-\

I also have a PS3 since last month... and guess what? ... I got the Namco Essentials Collection just to play Xevious Ressurection... and of course, I spend a lot of time on other classics : Pac Man, Dig Dug, Xevious, Galaga ... for the same reasons : World Ranking... and because I don't chose it... THESE GAMES ARE CALLING ME SO STRONG  ::) Impossible to resist... I don't decide to play them, theses games are just calling me, like drugs  8) :P

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
Impossible to resist... I don't decide to play them, theses games are just calling me, like drugs  8) :P

100% agree with you !!!

perhaps i'm simply getting old ...  :P

Could be the reason  ??? or is it just nostalgia of the good old days  :'( :'(

I do not know, I know only that now I go to play Donkey Kong  :-* :-* and the xbox 360 is in a corner full of dust  :roll:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:10:34 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

retroshaun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »

but if you say the control panel had half a football then it's definitely this one  :arrow:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/nfl.asp

Bye,

Matteo  ;)

Cab pics... they had one at California Extreme this year (this may in fact be a pic from Cal Ex!)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonguard/3718680259/

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
Yuppicide...  Great Stories!  You are going to fit in perfectly here!   I too miss everything about my childhood arcade.. (except when I had no money lol)

Todays generation of kids really has missed out.... They look back fondly on their first play on their SNES, like we look back at when we first saw & played Galaga!   also they don't know who "joshua" is and don't care either. 

Welcome aboard... Please share more stories!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D ;D

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
As many of you, I also won those 'next gen' consoles.
And as many of you, I played several games with fun, but definitely won't return to play them again.

For the old classics which seem to be much more stronger in game play appeal, I think it's not at all a matter of nostalgy.
Of course, some of them remind a lot to our kid's memory, but I think it's definitely not what make me play them.
In fact, I even never the major part of them when I was younger.
So tell me where's nostalgy is involved then.

Those game where simply more addictive and challenging.
In fact, the only 'modern' games that come close to these challenge are Shoot'em up like cave's One.
Who talked about scoring attack ?  :lol:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
For me , its part nostalgic , and part attraction

I mean , i played a lot of "new" games on the pc, but nowdays you almost need a new PC or at least a new videocard when you buy a new game  :-\

Sure they look wonderfull, don't get me wrong , but the classics with they're primitive graphics are (wich where awsome for that time) great

simple, challenging, and in some way they attract me to keep them playing more often, and again and again, than the "new" games.

I remembered very well to go to the local arcade or fair to play Outrun with its great graphics (in that time ofcourse)

we go there and when our coins run out , we rushed home to continue the game on the C64.

we liked the games so much, that we could not wait that they where available for the C64.

(the only computer me and my friends owned in that time)

if i now compare the graphics, i realise that we did not care how it looked (and sounded) at home in that time but pure for the game.

i'm sure everybody remember this differences, but this was the only way to play it at home.

V.S.  

but the C64 "sid" sounds have also something magical  :P

as for the part of getting old, yeah i think that also has got to do something with it.  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:13:56 PM by Etienne [NL] »

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
Black Tiger and Rabbit Punch are AWESOME games. I too played both in my local shop arcade when I was younger.

I however think Pacman blows :-)

and Gears of War is great

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »
I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner.

First off, thanks for identifying the first game on my list. That NFL Football game is definitely the one! Awesome. I remember exactly that it was the Raiders. I believe there was an upgrade you could have another teams footage, but I might be wrong about that. I've only ever seen the game once, played a few times, and was horrible at it. The one at California Extreme looks like it was in great shape.

... I'm going to move now to a few more stories and the next time I post here we'll get to the second game I am trying to identify and you'll see the first arcades I ever bought.

As a kid, my Dad was a truck driver. My parents were divorced, so I seen him on the weekends. He used to do long trips all week, then on the weekend he'd get me. We'd either fish, or stay at his apartment with his Girlfriend and their Daughter. Those two would often go to her parents house / farm. We had an Atari 2600 when it first came out. I recall one game in a "leather case" which my Dad said I was not allowed to play. Years later I think this game was Custer's Revenge an adult game from Mystique. You can see a picture of the box here:

http://oldgameszine.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/custer-revenge.jpg

You had to do Pocohontas I believe and the Indians tried to hit you with arrows. In the same cabinet as the game was a huge stack of Easy Rider magazines. My Dad loved motorcycles (and nude women I take it). I was a good kid, though, and never really cared to look in there. Got a little side tracked from the "arcade" stories, but let's get back to that part.

My Dad would send me down to the store for subs and let me keep the change. It was about a 2 minute walk or so. Only thing is I had to bring the subs home first and eat, then I could go back to the drug store next door to where I got the subs and could play video games. They usually had 4 to 6 different games. Sometimes I'd be there awhile just watching the other people play, waiting my turn to spend my four quarters. There was a bar across the street my Dad would take me to sometimes. They had Pole Position and maybe one other game. They had this sweet Budweiser sign where the Clydesdale horses rotated around it and of course Cinema Beer Nuts. Here's a picture of what sign I think it was or close to it:

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/homesteadauctions/15715/2077_1_lg.jpg

Maybe that's why I like Budweiser and want one of those signs. Because it brings me back to a nicer time in my life and makes me have good memories. When I'd go home from my weekend, somehow my Grandmother would always find out we went to the bar. They didn't like that my Dad took me there, but nothing bad ever happened, and he never got crazy or really drunk like some people do.

Every year we'd go down to the Jersey Shore. We went to Surf City for a week and always rented the same house. It was right next to the beach. It was about 20 minutes from Seaside Heights. This is where the boardwalk was with all the rides and arcades. This is back when an arcade was an arcade. They still had those games of skill where you could win tickets or prizes, but not as many as they do now.

I remember they had one "crane" type game which had an Atari 2600 game inside you could win. It was "Space War". The game was impossible to win because it had a glass (plastic?) dome on top. How can three fingers pick up a slippery circular shaped thing? I don't know, but the kid downstairs in the house we rented won it!

I try to get down to Seaside Heights once a year, as I love the atmosphere. The smell of the deep fried goodies, salt water, and to try to win myself an iPod. It's more satisfying if I spend $200 to win an iPod Nano lol. I haven't won one yet, though, but I still have fun trying.

In the 80's I used to go to Keansburg Amusement Park. This place holds a lot of special memories for me. I used to go a lot with my Grandparents and my Uncle. I remember we always went to this one place. It wasn't right on the boardwalk, but maybe a block in. You put your quarters down and the wheel spins. You could win food. Cases of Charms Blowpops, boxes of Cereal, etc. Years later I would see stories on the internet about how they'd have a lot of expired stuff. I opted to save my tickets for a Bill Cosby cassette tape. Some of his material is okay. This was the most boring tape ever!!! I think it was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_of_You_With_or_Without_Children,_You%27ll_Understand

Looking at the track listing on the album you can tell right away you're in for one big bore fest! Zzzzzz..

In the 90's when arcades started disappearing, my friend and I would frequent Keansburg often. That place was getting dirtier and dirtier. It wasn't a really big boardwalk and no trains went there, so they didn't have as much traffic as the other boardwalks. This one place must have been going out of business. It was the creepiest place. No lights on what so ever, yet two doors were open. Inside there was maybe only 5 or 6 games. One of them was this pool game that had a little pool stick that you'd actually have to move to play. I always felt like I was being watched or going to be raped, so I never hung out there often.

Superully mentioned how he doesn't like the new game consoles as much. Me either. The latest system I can really say I owned for a long time was an NES. I did buy an Xbox, but sold it maybe 2 weeks later. I just didn't like it. I had cut off a picture from a bucket of chicken as seen here:

http://fishboneinternetmarketing.com/dotnetnuke/Portals/veneto/images/cluckulogo.jpg

and glued it on the system. When I sold the system the guy didn't say anything. He just cared the system worked. I also owned an Xbox 360, PSONE, and PS2, but sold them all. The only thing I go back to is my old Atari 2600 stuff.

I'm actually set to release a game for it soon. It's a puzzle game with 40 levels.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:50:19 AM by yuppicide »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing all these 'ArcadeLifeStyle' stories with us  :-*

... We had an Atari 2600 when it first came out. I recall one game in a "leather case" which my Dad said I was not allowed to play. Years later I think this game was Custer's Revenge an adult game from Mystique. You can see a picture of the box here:

http://oldgameszine.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/custer-revenge.jpg

I've seen these games in the "Yesterdays" game room  :roll: :arrow:

So Barry, how these games look like?  ::) :P ;D

My Dad would send me down to the store for subs and let me keep the change. It was about a 2 minute walk or so. Only thing is I had to bring the subs home first and eat, then I could go back to the drug store next door to where I got the subs and could play video games. They usually had 4 to 6 different games. Sometimes I'd be there awhile just watching the other people play, waiting my turn to spend my four quarters.

Same for me... and in a general way, I believe I spent more time watching other guys playing the games than... playing them myself...
I didn't have money enough for playing a lot of games, so I had to choice the games carefully  :oops: ...

My nightmare was ... Dragon's Lair... at least the first games... the first days the game was on location in my village, no one was playing it... but it was so attractive... impossible to resist... but the price for one play was the double than the other... so ... A real nightmare for my small wallet... and for my parents  :oops: ::)

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 05:30:40 AM »
I love Dragons Lair. I love Super Don Quixote even more and as a kid always wondered if there was just a "Don Quixote". I looked up the cabinet on KLOV from Universal, but I've never seen that one before. The one I remember looked like a converted Dragons Lair.

Does anyone remember Sega's Time Out arcades? I don't think there was any near me. Maybe there was one in the mall, but it wasn't close by. I thought this one was called Time Tunnel, but it could have been Time Out. It was space themed. Anyway, a few years ago I saw a Time Out employee patch for sale on eBay. Mint condition. I was making a jacket with a bunch of band and video game patches on it and thought it would be a cool grab even if it was $20. I don't know what possessed me to bid $100! Must have been the thrill of eBay. Nevertheless I was the winner.

What video games scared you? When I was REALLY young there was an arcade machine with shark jaws around the monitor. That scared me. Sinistar scared me. Maybe even Satan's Hollow, even though I love all those games, but here's the game that scared me most: PAC-MAN! I know you must be wondering why?

There was an deli near me my Mom worked at for awhile. They always had about 6 different games in generic brown cabinets (JAMMA?) and every few weeks the games would be rotated. I recall River Patrol, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Popeye, Time Pilot, and a few others. This was within walking distance. The next town over another deli would get the same games. I think the same guy probably owned them all. This was within bike riding distance. Years later my Mom would come to work here also.

Pac-Man was the only game I remember them having a real machine. The one deli had Bad Cats pinball as well. One day my friend and I were standing there and Pac-Man was broken. You'd press up and it would go Wokka Wokka, Left would make a death noise, etc. I just kept fooling around with it. My friend was trying to get my attention, but I didn't know why he was yelling. Sparks were shooting out of the wall socket and was shooting onto my jeans! Someone ran over and pulled out the plug.

This brings us to the second game I'm trying to identify. One of the generic cabinets said "Omni" on it. I am pretty sure of it. Searching the web turns up nothing with that name. The game was a space shoot em up. You scrolled to the right. I don't remember much else. There were round "hoops" you could fly through.

Years later while my Mom worked at the farther away deli I had got kicked out of school. I got a job at the pharmacy. It was connected to the deli and owned by the same person. Upstairs was a wonderland.. and I do mean wonderland. The owner had an apartment up there and would sometimes come down at any house of the night he wanted and cooked food in the deli. How cool is that? They had me clean the upstairs. They had old display cabinets up there, an aisle of shopping bags, etc. One aisle had a smurf display cabinet and TONS of different Smurfs. All brand new! This was years after they were no longer found on shelves. I kind of regret not stealing them as bad as that sounds lol. There was an aisle full of Halloween stuff and a box full of blood.

Up there they had a few of the boards from those JAMMA cabinets. One of them is a third game I'm trying to identify. I do recall playing this before. One was labeled "Eggsplode". KLOV shows no matches. I remember an egg beater chasing eggs around a maze. I'm sorry to say this, but I regret not stealing these also LOL! I was often working upstairs and also took out the garbage. I could have easily got them.

I ended up buying my first arcades ever from them.. I picked up two generic machines for $50 each. One had Time Pilot. The second I can't remember. I also had a Kangaroo board, but couldn't get that to work. Being new and scared I didn't know what I could and could not touch inside. I didn't want to get zapped and die.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I've seen these games in the "Yesterdays" game room  :roll: :arrow:

So Barry, how these games look like?  ::) :P ;D

well they are really a "turn-on"  :D :D :D

the p0rn was back in the days already in the computerworld  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:36:02 AM by Etienne [NL] »