Author Topic: daphne , linux, and a not too special laptop  (Read 4217 times)

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
daphne , linux, and a not too special laptop
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
hello all, wonder if anyone can help me with some of my questions
ok lots of QUESTIONS here

i have an old windows 98 laptop and the correct dvds, going to put linux on it as daphne wont be good with win 98 i understand. want to use the daphne downloader to do it all.
so first question, WHAT LINUX DISTRO SHOULD I USE?
the laptop seems to have 2 hard drives totalling about 5.5GB, IS THIS ENOUGH FOR DRAGONS LAIR 1 +2 AND SPACE ACE ,  i seem to remember the torrent was about 3GB.
next HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE TORRENT TO THE OLD LAPTOP? could i network it to another computer with a cable? for example.
also i would need to verify the dvds could i do this again by networking ideally to the dvd drive in my mac.

please assume i am an idiot if these are stupid questions, because as far as computers are concerned i am an idiot  :D

really appreciate any pointers anyone can give, cheers

:spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
Re: daphne , linux, and a not too special laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
hello all, wonder if anyone can help me with some of my questions
ok lots of QUESTIONS here

i have an old windows 98 laptop and the correct dvds, going to put linux on it as daphne wont be good with win 98 i understand. want to use the daphne downloader to do it all.
so first question, WHAT LINUX DISTRO SHOULD I USE?

I never tried, but Ubuntu should be fine.

the laptop seems to have 2 hard drives totalling about 5.5GB, IS THIS ENOUGH FOR DRAGONS LAIR 1 +2 AND SPACE ACE ,  i seem to remember the torrent was about 3GB.

Yes, it should be enough regarding disk space.

next HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE TORRENT TO THE OLD LAPTOP? could i network it to another computer with a cable? for example.
also i would need to verify the dvds could i do this again by networking ideally to the dvd drive in my mac.

The best is to use another computer to do all the downloading of the video and audio files, then copy them on the other (old) PC.
Daphne Downloader has a built in torrent utility, so you won't need anything else besides Daphne.
You should ask these questions on Daphne official forum.

Matteo