Author Topic: All CNC machined arcade cabinet kit  (Read 81445 times)

Raitsa

• View Profile
All CNC machined arcade cabinet kit
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
Hi there guys, first time poster here.

Thought i show you some pics of our arcade cabinet kit thats been fully machined with a CNC station.
All the parts are of 19mm MDF-board and tightly grooved & glued together. No screws or other gimmicks are needed to assemble the kit.

We are now selling cabinet kits for all interested parties.
At the moment, 2 different kits are available:
- unassembled, unpainted (460e)
- assembled, unpainted (520e)

The customer has to manage shipping themselves, I have not gotten any shipping prices to countries outside Finland, hereĀ“s necessary infos if you guys want to ask around for some shipping estimates:
We are located in Turku, Finland, Europe.
Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=Rykmentintie+4%2C+20100+Turku%2C+Suomi&data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d22.246372!3d60.432131!2m2!1f97.44!2f95.96!4f75!2m9!1e1!2m4!1sIKkQcqV4iIec65iI5XFRXA!2e0!9m1!6sRykmentintie!5m2!1sIKkQcqV4iIec65iI5XFRXA!2e0!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x468c7708c73732fd%3A0x95719b0971f720b3!3m8!1m3!1d38578513!2d22.324219!3d60.413852!3m2!1i1746!2i918!4f13.1!4m2!3d60.4326612!4d22.2467453&fid=5

The weight of the kit is about 80 kg & packagesize of the boards is approximately 200cm*90cm*80cm.
80 kg = 176 lbs
200 cm = 6' 6.7"
90 cm = 2' 11.4"
80 cm = 2' 7.5"

The cabinet kit is being manufactured by http://www.puujaloste.com/valokuvat.html

Lots of pics at:
http://www.huoltovalikko.com/index.php?threads/mame-arcade-pelikabinetti.3965/page-3

There is a prototype shown in the first pictures, the final design has control panel etc improvements, can be seen at the later pictures and at the attached pictures.

A popular finnish online publication ran a story of the project with a few pics etc:
http://plaza.fi/edome/artikkelit/yleiset/retropelailua-itse-rakennetulla-arcadekabinetilla
They used some of the prototype pics too, otherwise its a great story ;D

Any feedback appreciated guys!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:26:21 PM by Raitsa »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: All CNC machined arcade cabinet kit
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
Hi Raitsa and welcome to this board  :-*

Selling unassembled & unpainted cabinets is a great idea, it reduces shippings cost. Good point  :)

But I don't know a lot of people who are making generic cabinet 'from scratch'. Most of guys who are looking for their first arcade cabinet are buying a old generic cabinet, and transform it (repair, new paint, new control panel with new hardware)...

Now a great idea would be to reproduce the most *famous* one, like Galaga or Donkey Kong for example.
I remember, a long time ago, when I was looking for a Dragon's Lair cabinet... it was impossible to find it one in Europe (or very very very expensive!), and at the time, I was looking to buy a replica from US (I can't remember from which on-line shop), but because they didn't sell it UNASSEMBLED, it was too expensive because of the shipping cost.
Such cabinets like GLG or DK are VERY difficult to find here, I'm sure more people would be interested to buy theses models instead a new generic ones?

Now, i don't know regarding the (c)opyright? Does it is legal to sell replica?

Anyway, I hope you'll able to sell your model, regarding the pictures, the quality of it looks good  :-*

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »
I completely agree with Bruno. The product does look amazing, well done !!!

I'd personally love a Q*bert :)
Try find one of those overhere !

There are no copyrights on cabinet shapes, and even if there were.........

Raitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
Thanks DarthNuno, you are right on all counts, your extensive arcade expertise is clearly shown on your post.

We aimed to make the best cabinet kit in Europe (and maybe the world too, lol), putting all our skills into designing and manufacturing a "perfect" arcade cabinet kit.
And i think we succeeded, there is not much to improve on our kit we think.
But still, the demand has been lower than expected, which surely has been a bit of a disappointment.

We know the size/weight and therefore shipping costs are a major factor, but still, not even the local arcade guys here in Finland have been too active on ordering/building their own cabinets.
Maybe we should offer bartop kits because of lower shipping costs...
Or Lindberg style cabinets for the younger gamer generations :)

We could make any cabinet with our machines, but its just not worth it, cos it takes a lot of time & effort and naturally, time is money, cos its not just a hobby & way to spend time for us.
The machines usually make stairs and thats what is made daily to pay the bills & earn a living.

A quality arcade cabinet is a once in a lifetime purchase or thats how we though before we started this project.

The general design/manufacturing of an arcade cabinet is not owned by any one party, so we are not, in our view, facing any lawsuits in the future. ???

Raitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
Hey guys, just a quick update on the project:

the CNC station will be fired up next week, 5 kits will be made & assembled on this run: 1 of the cabinet kits will be painted Ferrari Red, just as the customer wishes  :o

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:45:53 AM »
Hey, those look really nice! I'd be ALL over something if I had the money.

If you could make me something like the picture below I'd be REALLY interested:

Parts:

Assembling:

Finished products:

Those are tabletop size.. almost handheld. The guy made 4 or 5 of them.. each one is outfitted with home consoles in it.. ie: Megadrive, PC Engine, etc.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
Sorry for the 'off topic', but where to find that small 'All In One' motherboard (If this is a complete PC motherboard?)  :arrow:

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:10:21 PM »
Sorry for the 'off topic', but where to find that small 'All In One' motherboard (If this is a complete PC motherboard?)  :arrow:

This looks like a Sega Genesis 3 motherboard (the small Genesis that was only released in the US). So it's a real Genesis/Mega Drive in that "cabinet". :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:11:58 PM by petieken »
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
I know some thin clients that i work with uses EPIA boards from VIA
in combination with a solid state HDD module

the PICO series looks small  :o

hmmm  this gives me an idea for a project........
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:42:02 PM by Etienne [NL] »

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
I would totally be into a portable MAME cabinet like that size. One joystick and button is fine for me.

Those aren't motherboards in there those from a PC. Those are actual home consoles. He hacked Jakks Pacific tv games (http://jakks.com/node/511) in there for joystick and buttons.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
Wouldn't those simply fall over if you'd try to even move the joystick ?

Raitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
Back to the topic:

lots of new detailed pics of cabinets being assembled here:
http://huoltovalikko.keskustelupalstat.com/showthread.php?t=4407&page=4

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:44:44 PM »
damn! , they look slick !  :spaceace:

EvilDindon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »
Right, they are really nice.

Is it lusid's plans ?

Raitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
EvilDindon: not sure where the design ideas started from: we had lots of different plans on the PC and made our own version, which has evolved into this one after quite a few stages.
Now that i thought about it some more, we took quite a few measurements as a basis from a Mortal Kombat II cabinet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:29:12 PM by Raitsa »