Author Topic: Arcadebarn meeting June 13, near Exeter UK  (Read 9647 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Arcadebarn meeting June 13, near Exeter UK
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
SO, I thought this forum is really "road-trip" fan's heaven and also, this "road" trip is really a part of Arcade Life Style so I thought it would be the best place for this thread.

Anyway, on saturday 13 june my wife brought me to Schiphol (Amsterdamned) airport. I had already checked in (gotta love the internet) and I only had some hand-luggage, so no check-in troubles at all.

Just a massive walk to the gate (said H on the boarding pass, but was moved to D25 which is COMPLETELY across the airport). Anyway, there she was, this sleek lady from Canada. Don't know why but I have a soft-spot for turboprops:

First time I had to actually walk on the platform at Schiphol to board a plane :)

The weather was great and it was a very smooth flight. Turboprop but still doing 670 km/h. !!

Getting near Exeter, think this bridge is near Bristol...

After a smooth landing and going very quickly through customs, Aran was there ready to pick me up. Look at the back of his car, that is Arcade Life Style ! :D

After a very short drive, we arrive. These pics are at the location of the barn, just pointing my camera across the road....

Zooming in a bit, a nice typical English church.....like a castle....

So I cross the road, point my camera the other way and see this. Nothing special, just a barn......

Well, allmost.....let's take a look inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNwzVtcz2Us

and part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aBN9a2cGs

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:21:23 AM by Level42 »

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
Re: Arcadebarn meeting June 13, near Exeter UK
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
that bridge is the road to heaven my friend ;) ;) ;)
 :spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
England to Wales I guess then :P

Finally uploaded part 2 of the video. For those who missed them, here are the links:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNwzVtcz2Us

and part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aBN9a2cGs

Lots of pics to follow !!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:22:37 AM by Level42 »

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »
 :o WOW. Now that's what I call an Arcade.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:46 PM »
that's one hell of a collection. looking forward to the pictures! thx for sharing
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »
Pics!

Aran and his SW:

The "still to be fixed" workshop: Carnival and Super Break-Out:

PP upright. These are "famous" for being close to impossible to keep running. There was also a PP cockpit but it was behind other cabs....

Speed Race by Taito. Never heard of the game, probably an early b/w racer...nice cab !

Tron in need of some TLC....

The "stack of food" that everyone brought... I was glad to see that the "stroopwafels" that I brought with me were pretty popular :)

Another cab I didn't actually know. This was fixed during the day by Guddler I think...

Great to see that there was not only 35-45 years old men playing. Loved the Asteroids, reminded me of how much I need to fix my Meteor.....:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »
More pics !

OK, yes the Outrun is fabulous especially the sit-down. But that Firefox is REALLY something rare and special !!! Hope the guys will get it up and running !!!

I love arcade flying games like this Landing High Japan....probably not easy to fix/find parts.....

For me, this cab was one of the "stars of the show". An _EXTREMELY_ nice looking Red Baron cabaret. I had never played RB before (Funspot has one too but it was out of order when I was there). The game is not Atari's best vectors but it's also not the worst (vector) game I've ever played.

Zaccaria's version of SI. Licensed or bootleg.....I'm not sure. It had the nice moon set-up with the half-reflecting mirror set-up which is so great about this cab.

Pac Man cabaret. Mission-X but Shao Lin's road in there IIRC.

Nice, a Gorf cabaret !

May I say the only proper Afterburner ? The Deluxe edition ! :) Working great but it sounded squeaky a bit....

I keep thinking that I know all Atari cabs but I sort of forgot about this one. The terrible thing is that I forgot to play it !

Defender.....the controls still puzzle me.....

A nice Super Space Invaders....and Dig Dug.

This one was fixed during the day too I think: Chase HQ. Notice that the shifter is at the wrong side ;) ;) ;) This is the British built Elektrocoin cab.:

The man who initiated this meeting (If I am correctly informed): Robert Hazelby having a go at a kinda weird Galaxian. Think Buzfish (Bruce) told me it was built by Bell-Fruit.

No arcade is complete without a couple of those.... Daytona is one of my favorite racers.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh, Starblade. The "wannabe a Star Wars game". And they did a terrific job. I love it. Was great to play again after having seen and play it first at Bruno's Lair !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
....and the last batch....

Yahoo, finally I play MM on the real cab ! Loved it ! If there's any trackball game that gets it's balls mis-treated it has to be this one. You tend to roll it like nuts while playing !!

I like this picture very much.Reminded me of Luigi (Thorsten)'s gameroom !
The Euro Robotron and Euro Joust next to each other. Looking great. Regretfully the Joust died early, one of the RAM's probably went bad....

James playing the Asteroids. Nice meeting you ! James supplied the rubber matting for my SW cockpit !

Ok one last shot of the Red Baron to show how nice it really is....

One last shot...

At around 19.00h. it was time to stop playing and have some nice pub-meal !

After a couple of beers and some great arcade talk it was of to the Travelodge to get some sleep. It was a fabulous day and well worth coming over.

Again, I'd like to thank Shaun, Guddler, Bruce,Aran and Robert for all their hard work and friendly welcome. Glad to have met you all and I hope to see you again, who knows maybe at the opening of my TINY gameroom :D

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
Question, is the shifter on the left side in the Outrun sitdown?
There is one near me that looks to be german built (or imported from) and the shifter is on the left side. Was a bit tricky to shift gears on it...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »
It wasn't working so I'm not sure.

Remember Sega is from Japan and that's a left driving country too.I think there were at least uprights built in the UK but I'm not sure about the sit-downs.

[Edit] The picture on klov.com shows the shifter on the left too:

The uprights all seem to be right-hand shifted.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:37:47 AM by Level42 »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
wow! what a huge collection :o
thanks for the report, it seems you had a good time in that barn ;)
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »
Great meeting... flying to UK only for playing old games and meet others crazy guys ... you're right AndrĂ©...  :arrow:   8) So Arcade Life Style  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks for taking us with you  :-*

PS : next time, I'll be with you  8)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: