Author Topic: Galaxian 3 Home Theater EXP !  (Read 26363 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Galaxian 3 Home Theater EXP !
« on: October 29, 2005, 11:28:25 PM »
Still crazy about all the Namco Space Shooter Games such StarBlade, Xevious, ... here's is :

The Galaxian 3 Home Theater Experience at home  :shock:  8)  8)  8)

Here's the parts needed :

- Playstation II or PSone
- Video Projector
- Home Theater Amplificator

and of course the *FABULOUS* Galaxian III PlayStation version  :D

This version include only one of the two episodes released for the huge Galaxian Theater :

:arrow: Project Dragoon

As a bonus, there is a special mission specifically created for the Playstation port called 'The Rising of Gourb'

Sad bu true : the mission called 'Attack of the ZolGeaR is not available on this PSONE port  :-[

And here we goes... :shock:  :D

... much better than pictures, here's the videos :

- Project Dragoon starts :

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/starblade/dragoonstart.avi

- 'The Rise Of Gourb' starts :

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/starblade/risestart.avi

- 'The Rise Of Gourb' until game over... :

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/starblade/riseend.avi

... Cool  :D  until having the Galaxian Theater at home  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  8)  8)  8)  8)  :shock:

If you don't know what the true Galaxian Theater  looks like, check this post :
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40

:roll:  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:48:04 PM by DarthNuno »

Emogee

• View Profile
Re: Galaxian 3 Home Theater EXP !
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:56:31 AM »
I never knew that Galaxian 3 was released for Playstation. 
I just searched Ebay, and there aren't any listed! :evil:

I want it Daddy, and I want it NOW!

Emogee
Half the people who post here are above average!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
This is my own stock of the Playstation version of the game  ::)  :arrow:

Nope I'm joking of course  ;) I only have two or three version of it (jap, euro & US If I remember well)  :P

It's very common on the bay  ;) I'll inform you when it'll be available if you want  ;)  :-*

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
Bruno, how similar is the Playstation version of the game compared to the real arcade?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Bruno, how similar is the Playstation version of the game compared to the real arcade?

I've founded a good review of the game somewhere in the net, but I can't remember where  :oops:

There it is, without any correction of modification :

"There are two missions on this disk: Project Dragoon, the first mission with older flat style polygons, and The Rising of Gourb, a sequel with more impressive CG (The newer third mission is not included).
Each mission is a full motion video on rails, with up to four players (assuming the console has a multi-controller adapter) acting as the gunners.

The scenery and major enemies are pre-done, while all the millions of small polygon ships and "targets" are generated by the Playstation. This comes out much better than older games which used this technique (like SILPHEED), though. For instance, if you destroy all the gunports on a major ship for instance, the video will change paths, and show an appropriate cool explosion.

It is easy to feel overwhelmed in GALAXIAN^3. It is impossible to shoot everything due to the sheer number of targets, and whoever is actually piloting the ship definately has never heard of the brake. Each mission however only lasts about five minutes (if the ship survives that long).

The computer graphics are well done, with only Project Dragoon showing its age a bit (and one can even see the screen break line in the middle as they must have transfered the video from the original two separate screens). It makes for a great movie-like experience.    

Galaxian^3 offers plenty of pyrotechnics to please the jaded fan. Namco tried to add many extra features, such as the ability to use most controllers available currently for the Playstation (you can even use a mouse), and the addition of a computer player option. Players can configure the power of their guns (wide, power, rapid, normal), change the difficulty level, record and save a mission run, and save high scores onto a memory card.

The computer gunner adds a replay value to the game, as you compete for who can score more points. If the player beats a computer player, they can select an even better virtual player (so by beating Frank, you can use Reiko and so on).

Is it enough though? With both missions only lasting five minutes each, and with victory almost guaranteed if there are two or more players, most players should easily see all there is to see. The computer competition features add to the lifetime, but the missions do get old fast for lone players. The only real replay ability is getting a large group of people together all racing for the best score (like the Bomberman experience).
So in summary, this is a perfect port of two missions from the arcade game.

However, because arcade games are designed for getting people in and out in fast order, replayability is the biggest weakness of this game. GALAXIAN^3 is an impressive thrill ride and Namco did an admirable job keeping the arcade feel, but for the price of admission they should have done more."

by Mark L. Johnson

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
I never knew that Galaxian 3 was released for Playstation. 
I just searched Ebay, and there aren't any listed! :evil:

I want it Daddy, and I want it NOW!

Emogee

One is available right now on ebay.com for a very nice price  :)

Have a look right here  :-*

Be fast  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Well, I feel the need to play Galaxian3 on huge screen...  :roll:

I Fortunately still have the setup I use to play before having 'the real stuff'... yes the same setup from presented in 2005 in this topic... Jesus!... time flies  :-X

I can now get my dose of Galaxian3, in my new room that will be dedicated to old consoles & computers / local rehearsal music ... work in progress  ;)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
Nice one!