Author Topic: Was there a Zaccaria 'cabaret' version of Astro Wars?  (Read 11478 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Was there a Zaccaria 'cabaret' version of Astro Wars?
« on: April 23, 2020, 02:58:21 PM »
Hi everybody.

A guy from Gemany asked if somebody had information about this Zaccaria cab.

Internet didn't bring any information about Cabarets from Zaccaria.

Any idea?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: Was there a Zaccaria 'cabaret' version of Astro Wars?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:46 PM »
That cabinet does not exist. :D :D :D

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »
That is a fascinating find, a mini/wall type of cab from the first colour era.
Paul.
ZZZ

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
regarding the other pictures in the german forum it's looks dedicated like a bartop.

The bezel look not like beeing chopped.

Searching Zaccaria Stuff: Zaxxon CPO, JumpBug CPO or CPO Repro
next project: assemble Zaccaria Vanguard.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »
It's amazing  :-*

HaiNet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »
Good evening,

I had the possibility to acquire this cute little cabinet :). But probably need some help from you with spare parts so I can restore it fully. It’s my first Zaccaria in the collection.

Because someone picked it up for me who lives closer to the seller, I can only provide some additional photos at the moment. When I’ll pick it up (August) I will share more details and the restauration progress.

Bezel and Marquee artwork both have Zaccaria logos. Also some stapled paperwork with schematics that was still in the inside has the name Zaccaria on it. Therefore seems to be an original one. Size of the cabinet is: 83 x 54 x 58 cm  (H x D x W). Does someone know if bezel and marquee fit together? I saw this type of bezel only on photos from Super Galaxian.

What I could see from the photos so far and what I need:
  • PCB is missing – If anyone has a spare he is willing to sell, please let me know
  • Power Supply is not complete. RG1 (MA 78H05 KC) +5V voltage regulator is missing. Any replacement suggestions?
  • Seems like parts from top of the cabinet are missing (some wood or metal parts probably that lock the marquee).
  • No instructions card that was located under the bezel. Anyone has a copy or photo from the cabinet so I can reprint it?
  • Did Zaccaria build their cabs with separate coin switches adjustment and sound boards? Could not locate both on the photos.

Is there any scan of the original Astro Wars manual available somewhere? I only found dead link so far.
Looking forward to provide you with some additional information in 2 month.

HaiNet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Why did I pick it up? I have a quite similar one already here. It’s a Donkey Kong cabinet (Control panel is not original on mine). In the last years 2 or 3 of these cabs appeared on eBay Germany as well so I guess it must be a license build or a licensed conversion kit. On the back of my DK is still a Data East sign located and when you do a little research you find this type of cabinet with the game Astro Fighter in it. Astro Fighter? Astro Wars? Yes, Astro Wars is the licensed port of Astro Fighter. A really wild guess is, that they also tried to rebuild these small Data East cabinets.

rotheblog

• View Profile
    • CoinOpSpace.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to document and share this with us. Very Interesting.

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
The power supply is alright, they where often build with a fixed resister. But of course you can use a trimmer, too.

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
I haved scannec the manual in the past.

I have to search it...

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3962.0

HaiNet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »
@rotheblog: Time to give something back to this community. Nice to hear this is of interest. Thanks again for the Magical Spot artwork photo I asked for via mail last year. Was not aware that you have an account here aswell :)

@digimon: Great, thank you! Found it now on vernimarks website!

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 05:19:48 AM »
Hi,

You can get an idea of what the upright PCB was from here http://www.zzzaccaria.com/zzz/AstroWarsRestoration.htm
I also have a repro instruction card file since I printed a new one myself, made by somewhere here on the forum.

On your mini, the unusual connector where the game PCB should be potentially suggests that it was converted to something else at some point, but I can't tell from the pictures if there is space in that cabinet for a standard Astro Wars upright PCB set (it's a large PCB). Given how little of the wiring is left, possibly JAMMA maybe the way to go to start with, to at least sort out power & monitor (note that Astro Wars was inverted video, so the monitor may have been patched for standard video as part of the conversion).

Keep the pictures coming :)

Thanks,
Paul.

ZZZ

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 01:26:40 AM »
It is a wall cabinet. I didn't think zaccaria realized this version before seeing these pics. You can find a prove of its existence in some zac's flyers.
I'd like to have one fore a while, just to document it. I wrote to the german guy but he never answered.

HaiNet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »
Nice! Yes I can now confirm it is a wall mount type but the shape is different than the one from the flyer. I had the possibility to pick it up last weekend and started disassembling and cleaning. I'll try to post some more pictures this evening. Vernimark, let me know what you need for documentation. I would be glad to provide you with the information.

You wrote to the seller or to me?

HaiNet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
Some more photos. Let's start with exterior. At the back is some kind of metal bracket for wall mount.