Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...  (Read 125174 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
it's gonna be really tough to find a RI pcb. i almost had one, but the owner had sold it for 100 pounds just a few days earlier  :'(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
$610?!! I still wouldn't sell mine for that  ;D

Me 2!!  ;D ;D

it's gonna be really tough to find a RI pcb. i almost had one, but the owner had sold it for 100 pounds just a few days earlier  :'(

Nooo, that sugs - Im sure some will pop up, but the prices has skyrocketet lately!!!! I think thats one of the "newer" more expensive games out there...  :o
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:21:13 PM by Muerto »

cebulba

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
on a side note:
I met Bob Wakelin a few times in the UK. He worked for OCEAN software company and has done quite a lot artwork for their games (e.g. Cover game boxes).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bob-Wakelin-Games-Artwork/107350556003354

I recently got a DIN A1 poster signed with the Rainbow Island artwork while meeting him again at revivalretroevent 2013.

Just drop him an e-mail and he will send one over to you. Or buy them at the Attic Bug.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainbow-Islands-A3-Glossy-Print-Bob-Wakelin-Artwork-NEW-ZX-Spectrum-C64-/400362512863?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item5d377721df
Drop a note for a signature and they will arrange it :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:28 PM »
Just drop him an e-mail and he will send one over to you. Or buy them at the Attic Bug.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainbow-Islands-A3-Glossy-Print-Bob-Wakelin-Artwork-NEW-ZX-Spectrum-C64-/400362512863?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item5d377721df

Wow! that is quite cool!! - a shame it´s "only" an A3 print.... would rather have it in A1!!

cebulba

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »

Wow! that is quite cool!! - a shame it´s "only" an A3 print.... would rather have it in A1!!

Drop them an e-mail for larger sizes. no problem at all.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
it took quite a while to fill all the holes, to repair the broken edges and to give all the parts a nice interior fresh coat of black paint, but now it's finally time to start with the outside pieces! first up, white as a base color :arrow:

four coats later - with some smooth sanding in between - i have a nice (almost even) base of white

one thing i often lack is patience, but that's what you need when applying stencils. you don't want to put them on too early, otherwise you would take off the base coat again. fortunately, i have a few other projects to work on, so after giving the paint about a week to dry completely, i can now safely slap on the stencils - hopefully ...  :-\

not an easy task, especially when you're doing it alone: rolling on those gigantic classic taito stencils!

once done, you can remove the protective top layer

with all the edges masked off, i will start with the blue paint job - tomorrow ...  :)

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »

blue blue blue - three rolled layers later :arrow:

some light sanding in between coats

and one final layer with the spray can

let's remove those stencils - looking good so far ...

not bad i'd say, BUT when removing the "letter stencils" it's a slightly different story

as you can see, there's been a lot of bleeding paint. i was afraid this was going to happen, because the stencils didn't stick that well to the white base. i had to press them down again from time to time, especially the thinner pieces. don't know why that was though, perhaps because the stencils were quite old or because of the paint i used ... hmm? might try a coat of clear paint first on the opposing side to "seal" the edges.

but don't worry, nothing's really lost, because basically it's a layer of blue on top of a layer of white, meaning i should be able to scratch it off!

same spot with the blue paint run removed! this is going to be a painstaking process of pure will, but it'll work and that's the most important thing :)

and here we are, after an hour of scratching it looks so much better. there are still some spots left i could go over again / i have missed, but i'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. not to mention that the blue / white color combination simply looks kickass!

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
Again, I love the combination of the white and blue   :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
Love it!! :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
Super nice result after the scrabing!! :spaceace: :spaceace:

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
bloody cool! love the result!
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

cebulba

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
Once again. Very Well done.
I appreciate those hundrets of pictures of your restorations, from other people and those scratch build replicas.

I learned a lot over the last months from this forum :)

Keep up the good work folks.

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
Great result Ully

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
Looks great, this cab is gonna be very nice when finished  :)
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Great job Ully!!  :spaceace: awesome combination of colors  8)
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber