Author Topic: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on the PC - HELP!  (Read 13164 times)

garykagan

• View Profile
Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on the PC - HELP!
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
Hello all, new here but love the games.  I am putting together a game machine and was wondering if there was a way to play the original games DL and SA on the PC as a "rom" or the equivilant from the laser disk for these games.  I do see there is a rom out there, still trying to get that to work, but I don't think it will be the version I am looking for. I've bought copies of the game for the PC years ago, but again, the graphics were horrible then with the pc version.  Does this exist as a playing game on the PC that looks and plays just like the original arcade versions?  thanks all, gk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:41:37 AM by garykagan »

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
Re: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on the PC
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
Hi garykagan  :D

You can buy the 20th anniversary dvd boxed set (wiht Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp) or the bluray edition of Dragon' Lair and Space Ace.
Otherwise You can use Daphne plus the mpeg of the laser disk to have a "real" arcade experience.

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
Thanks very much, now I'm off to hunt down the mpegs and join the club...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
Hello garykagan and welcome here  ;D

Here's the best option for playing Dragon's Lair ... in a arcade accurate way  :)

But this box : Dragon's Lair 20th anniversary Special Edition ... so cheap now on the bay, for example  :arrow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragons-Lair-20th-Anniversary-Box-Set-DVD_W0QQitemZ320360462473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item320360462473&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Note that you can buy it also via the Digital Leisure website right here.

Then download latest Daphne version of the emulator.

During the Daphne installation, you'll be prompted to insert the original disk from the DL20th box. Daphne will extract all the files automatically, and then you'll be able the play the game without the disk, and with a game play 100% arcade like  ;)

As a bonus, the box contains Space Ace and Dragon's Lair Time Warp  ;) :-*

:spaceace:

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »
Awesome!  How does this compare to the Blu-ray version?

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »
I bought it!  on it's way here now.  thanks and I'll keep ya posted

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »
Funny - I found a copy I already had of DL (SA and DL2 still on the way) -

Dragon's Lair question for you enthusiasts.  I have Daphne-1.0v-win32.  I have Digital Lesiure Dragon's Lair.  Now this dvd plays in the pc already, not too sure on the controls, but it plays.  What does the daphne interface do and how do I use both together?

The DVD has all VOB files, IFO, standard DVD files.  The readme mentions roms like

./lair.zip
OR
   ./lair/dl_f2_u1.bin
   ./lair/dl_f2_u2.bin
   etc ...

I just need a nudge to get on the right track here.

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »
I just need a nudge to get on the right track here.

You need to read Daphne's FAQ :

http://www.daphne-emu.com/site3/FAQ_USA.php

garykagan

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on the PC - HELP!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »
ok - I read the faq.  My problem is that Daphne Loader says it doesn't support the 20th anniversary 3 disks version.  I was told above in the thread that that is the one I should buy...  Will it work or not?  I was hoping to use the loader to download the 3 games.  Copy over the roms as well.  Put the disk in the drive the first time, and play without the disk.  Is there a way to make the 20th anniversary version work or did I buy it and can't use it?  I don't want to switch the DVD's - that's the plan.  thanks for any info,  gk

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »
Bummer.  Downloads don't work either.  Not my week.  Corrupt Tracker Response.  I got the 20th anniversary version that has a DVD symbol on the bottom left corner, that should be ok - not the PC-CD Rom version.  4 disks.  Is there a way to just copy the disk data to the vldp_dl directories instead of getting the download via Daphne Loader since it is not working for me?  Again, I have the DVD's and just want to set it up so I don't have to keep them in the drive and also I cannot download the Video/audio as the download has a corrupt tracker response (I will keep trying).  thanks all!  gk

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:58:31 AM »
I did figure out how to download the torrent for the 4 directories of files ace, lair, lair2, tq directly using bit torrent.  This will take a day on my dsl.   I see in the FAQ the roms and framefiles are downloaded via daphne loader as well.  I will try to hunt them down seperately.