Author Topic: Photobucket is screwing everyone... all past posts will break!  (Read 7840 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
Jerks are now charging 400 per year, don't pay and everything you've posted over the years will now break!

Just a heads up to everyone, as all my archived posts are now ruined..

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket is screwing everyone... all past posts will break!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
Yep, I read about it a few days ago. Jerks! I have a paid account, € 3 a month, but I guess I will also have to upgrade to save my links. No chance that I will do that, so lot's of photos on DLF will soon be unaccessable.  >:(

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
And thats why i host things myself...  8)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
Etienne, so how much TB does your server have and what are the server costs for you?

I have an old 2x cpu server in the cellar, which cost 26,-/month only for power consumption, but well, maybe a NAS would be a better option...

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:48:53 AM »
Yep, what a bunch of jerks... Basically all my forum pics for the last 10 years are on Photobucket.

A few dollar per month would have been ok, but 400 a year? Insane

RIP Photobucket

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
Etienne, so how much TB does your server have and what are the server costs for you?

I have an old 2x cpu server in the cellar, which cost 26,-/month only for power consumption, but well, maybe a NAS would be a better option...

I am running a Raspberry pie with a 32GB card in it.
its 5 watts which is almost nothing in costs.

I just host pictures for forums and stuff, those are 1024x768 and around the 100 - 200 Kb so you can host alot of pics on a 32 Gb card  ;D

next to that i have a nas which i host the big stuff, that has 2 2TB drives in it in mirror.
The nas has powermanagement so the disks stop spinning and consume less energy.
When i query the nas, the disks spin up again and turn off after x amount of time of inactivity

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
I have an old 2x cpu server in the cellar, which cost 26,-/month only for power consumption..

what the...?  :shock:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
I would not use that old server, they are energy hogs, besides for webhosting a pie with a external drive connected to the USB is more than enough.
The bottleneck will be your internet connection upload speed anyway..
And not to forget the OS running on that old server, if its Linux, its free, but if you are using Windows, you need a license..
A Nas is a valid alternative also.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
Forgot to say: I use Goneo webhosting. 50GB os webspace, countless email accounts, databases etc. for 60€/year. There should be something like that in Austria, too. But I think you can also use goneo.de :)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
Well I used my old Vista on that server and my upload is 11 Mbit which should be enough. Well I had it running when we had a minecraft server running for friends  ;D.
But yes, its turned off for a year or more now and I have no more need for it.
My colleague has a nice NAS at home, he said power consumption is super low ( about 20-30w or so ), mine used with the monitor turned off about 220w or so  >:( ;D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Well, as a Plus20 account holder on Photobucket (full of shit) it seems that my links are safe until 31. December 2018. I am not planning to go through all forums etc. on the www to change links, so after that date a huge part of my arcade history will be gone forever (roadtrips etc.). It's a shame. Are there moore victims here?

You know what, all forum owners should unite and stand up .....  It's their 'babies' that will be filled with hollow space or with hated replacement pictures of photobucket.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
i disagree.
its a public place where you store your photos.
This can go away, if you had used a private URL or redirect, you can place your pice anywhere you like and link the DNS to that place.

Always use links with a URL you own IMHO.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
This is also a private forum, where you post your messages, like Yahoo, Gmail etc. are private companies where people stall there e-mail. Everything can go away, but it isn't supposed too. Not everybody has a private NAS. My dad doesn't even know what it is, like millions of people, I meant billions.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
i understand that not everybody has his own resources to store stuff, but what i am saying is use a domainname that you own, and link that to whatever place your stuff is.

if something like this happens, you can transfer your stuff to another place and link the dns to that.
in that way the links in posts can stay the same, so you dont have to edit all your posts to get the content up and running again.