Author Topic: The End  (Read 13455 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
The End
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
So guys.....it's done. Game Over. The End.

I am no longer the owner of any arcade games.

The last machine the Namco Galaxian was picked up last week.

I couldn't imagine this 5 years ago but to be honest......I feel ......relieved. I am not sad at all. It was a fantastic run for 12 years but it's over.

When the feeling is gone, you gotta accept it and move on.

That explains it best I guess.

All but one machine went to some great German friends.....one went to a great UK friend.

I'll post more pictures soon but this is how my (former) gameroom looks today....

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Re: The End
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »
  :'( It was nice having you as a fellow collector and thanks for all the posts in this forum. Hope to still see you at some Eurocade.

blackie63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »
sad to see you go been a lot of help with your knowledge and input to the forums best of luck  :spaceace: :spaceace:

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
Best of luck!

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
I must say, the room looks a bit sad now. I can imagine it will be filled with boxes and junk if you don't find a specific purpose for it.  :)

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
I can 100% relate to this André.

As you know I am selling most of my games at this moment. Love the space I get in return. Not really missing the games, maybe Mario Bros.
Rather play GTA V on my game PC or play PS4 or Nintendo Switch games :)
I always looked at my games from a museum kind of view. Nice to have them standing there, looking great. But hardly play them.

At least your games were all running :) I had 10 out of 13 cabinets that were projects in different stages of completion.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
Respect!!  :spaceace: :spaceace:

I really mean this, because I'm struggling with the same dilemma. I too need to let go of my games, not that I don't love them anymore, but they have to go also.

But then this >>

...... but to be honest......I feel ......relieved. I am not sad at all. It was a fantastic run for 12 years but it's over.

When the feeling is gone, you gotta accept it and move on.

That explains it best I guess.

That's a helpful thought André, thanks, that's the way to look back. Not sad, but happy that you were part of it.  :spaceace:

So, I think that another game package deal is coming up, I too would prefer to sell all my games in one go. Less hassle, less pain.

I will give you a call soon, because I believe I see two vector monitors in your picture ..... No hope anymore .....  :'(  :'(  :-*  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
Great respect to you André!
You've done a lot for the hobby, but also a lot for this forum too! And thx for that!
Even with no more cabinet @ home, I'm sure you'll still keep an eye about what happens on the "Scene"  :)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
i still remember playing games in your gameroom as if it were yesterday and it makes me sad to see it now stuffed with items that weren't supposed to be there. but as you've said: no need to hold on to stuff when the feeling / the excitment / the passion is gone. i'm happy for you to hear that you are feeling relieved and i'm sure that a lot of collector's will get there eventually. after all, this is a hobby that can also be quite "crushing" because of the sheer space those machines need. selling off 50+ machines also felt like some kind of relief for me, because let's be honest: noone can handle that many machines alone!
i hope to see you around nevertheless and who knows: perhaps one day a single machine will find its way back to your place 8). thx for some great threads and discussions (although we often "banged heads" about stuff), it was a pleasure having you as one of the main pillars of this forum!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
2 bad that you're gone but I totally get it.. thanks for all the help and good times in the past years!

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
If you feel relieved, it's a good choice you made ouwe reus.

Thx for your help and I hope to still have some beers sometimes ;)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
I wish you the best in the future and maybe you show up on an event and then lets share some beer?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
Really sad to read this and see your gameomm filled with "garbage", but I can understand your decission. :'(
Really hope, that this story does not drive more members here to sell their whole collection, there is nothing changed, just we are a bit older, I'm pretty sure, that our collection of these gems can bring a lot of fun and joy to our lives when we will over 70 years old. :D
Hope to see you soon André! ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »
you guys react like he is dissapearing from the face of the earth, i dont read anywhere he is leaving, he just sold the games, i know for a fact that he still stays around here, and also will attend partys.

this is not a goodbuy "i am leaving the forum" post AFAIK.

Anyway, you know my thoughts dre  ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
This is a very bold and radical move and I respect that, especially coming from you who has done soooooo much for the hobby and for this forum.
As Etienne said, I'm sure this is not a "Good bye Arcade Scene" post, you will still be there, like an arcade guardian!
For instance if I start a thread tomorrow that would go like "Looking for a Space Invaders Neon", i'm sure the "Neon Police" will react  ;D ;D
I hope we'll have some opportunities to hang around together at some party wether there are "heavy black pieces of furniture filled with electronics" involved or not!!!!

If I were you, I would have kept at least one cab to "leave the door open", but that's just me.
I always pictured you with a nice Donkey Kong cab, maybe you should get one now that you have room (just planting the seed in your mind)  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Speaking for me, so far I kinda regret every cab I already sold and they aren't that many :) (Galaga, Omega Race, Mario Bros Widebody, etc...)
I'm not posting so much on the forum, but that's because I lack of time dramatically, but my arcade heart still beats strongly in my chest, guys and I read your posts too :)