Author Topic: GT-6 : AIR RAID ... first encounter!  (Read 20293 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
GT-6 : AIR RAID ... first encounter!
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »

Because I know there is a Galaxian Theater not too far... but converted into an AIR RAID  :oops: ... I have to see it by myself... and remember how HUGE a GT_6 'fully assembled' is...  :roll: :D

So here we are... Dave and Buster's  :arrow:

The place is HUGE... restaurants ... pool tables ...

...and of course A LOT of video games...

...same 'modern' games than everywhere (Daytona2, Fast&Furious, Nascars, UFO catcher, Naomi...), so won't show them... nothing special  :? However, here's few particular ones :

This Turret Tower wasn't working  :?  :arrow:

I'm in love with this AIRLINE PILOTES  :-*

Two F355 Deluxe ... *linked*  :o :-*  :arrow:

A Missile Command / Centipede / Millipede 'reunion' :

...and other 'reunion' cab' ... Mario Bros / Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Jr *brand new* :arrow:

...and of course, the usual Galaga/Ms PacMan 'class of 81'  ;)  :arrow:

I can tell you this place is really HUGE  :o

Ok, I'm here for the GT-6 (what we use to name 'Galaxian Theater'). Jesus, it didn't remember it was so big  :roll:  :arrow:

...my wife too  :roll: :oops:  ...

I cannot believe I got is in my attic (with other parts in two other houses  ::))  :arrow:

I hope to do so similar pictures inside my GT-6 soon  ::)  8)  :arrow:

Ok, the 'Fan' pictures are done  ;D ...let's check this beast... too bad it doesn't play the orginal game anymore  :'( Now this GT-6 plays AIR RAID  :?  :arrow:

This GT-6 is the US version ... 'sides' are gray instead yellow :

It didn't remember the red lights under the seats...  'looks cool  :-*  :arrow:

Now, let's enter into... this theater  :)  :arrow:

...a real maze  ;D Where to go?  ::) ;D Ok, the other way  :lol:  :arrow:

Because this GT-6 is the US version, the seats are not the same than the one I own (Japanese)...

...and in addition, these seats have been customized during the 'AIR RAID' conversion  :?

Because the conversion, new 'mimitary' elements here and there...

The two huge Sony projectors have been replaced by a new model...very small :

The picture displayed by these two projectors is good and take all the surface of the two screens. It's good to know that it would not be difficult to substitute the original Sony projectors in case of problem...

Hey... my wife is trying the game  :D

"Why to want to play this at home" she says...

:arrow: Air Raid?!  :( I don't want to play this game at home...I want to play 'Project Dragoon' and 'Zolgear'  :D :D :D ;D

PS : This story is a segment on the big topic called : "Holiday in Florida / Texas [features Arcade Life Style stories] ...where you'll see others 'ALS stories'  ::) ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:39:58 PM by DarthNuno »

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
Re: GT-6 : AIR RAID ... first encounter!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:49:14 PM »
regarding the replacement projectors, i think you may find new projectors will be cheaper than bulbs/parts for older projectors, and i imagine a new not costly projector would have a better image too

:spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Yes, it reassures me although I have three *working* projectors.  :)

In addition of these pictures, here's a video I've done  8)  :arrow:

An other bad thing about AIR RAID : almost no sound during a game ?! So does it was a problem on this specific theater?

Anyway... enjoy this vid'  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
Wow, I never saw that MC/Centi/Milli/Let's go bowling combo before ! Luc has the "regular" MC/Centi/Milli combo and I played it a couple of times:

(sorry only half on the picture, left)
That one doesn't have Let's go bowling though....and it's much smaller, very much like the original Centi cab.

This one:

can be played in Zonhoven soon too, Luc ordered one....(I mean the DK/DKjr/MB cab ;) ).

As always great pics, really enjoyed them, esp. the theater....must be inspiring to see it like that Bruno :) I agree with Polaris it might be very much easier and cheaper (and better looking) to have new projectors in there. They may even have a brighter picture too, and I'm pretty sure they will use a lot less power (not unimportant with a beast like that !).

[edit] Just read the original one's are working, in that case: keep it original :)

I agree with you about the Airline pilots, it's an amazing game ! The really weird thing is that it really gives you the feel of having a big airliner in your hands, while there is no motion on the seat at all. This is achieved through the 3 CRTs and the very true steering force feedback.

I always play it at least two times when we visit the arcade in Scheveningen.

There's also one at the Aviodrome (Air museum) in Lelystad. My son loves it too:

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:46:02 AM »
Nice pictures....

I love that place D&B just 15 minutes from where i live....
Sad that i had to work that night  :? i wish i could have gone with you....

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
Wow... I bet seeing the GT got you siked to get yours going!  ;D  :pac:  :ghost:  :spaceace:

Moon Jump

• View Profile
    • Arcade Hunters
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell their doing this. Since I've posted my video on Youtube with this a few people have said their D&B's got the game in and they had no idea it was a G3. So did D&B buy up a bunch of them and have Tsunami make the conversion kits for the game, or what? It's kind of odd to see they'd make a conversion kit for a game that wasn't really mass produced like a DDR machine or a light gun game.

The real thing is the company Tsunami really really sucks. I know I should be happy that there's companies that are still making games exclusive for the arcade but I've played freeware internet browser games better then some of the games they've put out. Every game they make is the same, shoot shoot shoot, no skill involved. They should stick to making the cool motion cabs and have other companies work on the games that should be put into them. Hell, I was going through my pictures of Disney World when I replied to Bruno's Disney Quest thread and found this....

Yeah, a friggen arcade game CRASHES. I saw this on a couple of their other games. I never thought I'd see a BSOD on an arcade game.

You could make a really sick game if you fully used all of what the GT-6 Theater was capable of. You loose all of the magic of the game if the sound isn't pumping, guns vibrating and the entire theater shaking when you get hit. I played G3 when I was 12-14 years old when I went on a family trip to Niagra Falls and I still won't forget playing it for the first time with my farther. Just hitting hyperspace and the music blasting and the commander yelling at you and trying to keep myself alive was amazing and nothing you could ever repeat on a new console today.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Went back in that location in September 2015, so here'a a new video of it  :arrow:

...also includes my first encounter with a Star Wars battle pod  :P

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
OK so what changed still the last visit, 6 years ago?

In the dark, at this point and except the 'marquee', we could think it's still a decent Galaxian Theater..

A table? Perfect!  ;D :arrow:

Let me introduce a very special person... ArcadeFever himself!  8)  :arrow:

Thanks again, Bro! Without you, all that 'US stuff' wouldn't be possible!  :-* :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Made by who? KIDDIES Inc?  :arrow:

What...a... mess!!!  ??? :ghost:  :arrow:

Not sure we can call 'THIS' a proper conversion!  :shock: :evil:

New projector model since...

...which look not too bad and display apparently the same picture size than the original Sony ones...interesting...

Some efforts done for sure to transform the Galaxian3 'space theme' into military stuff... but men...this is supposed to be a Galaxian Theater!  :?  :arrow:

Once again, something must be done to find back the original parts...