Author Topic: Bubble Bobble Project - getting started ...  (Read 10164 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Bubble Bobble Project - getting started ...
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:31 PM »
Once my Pleiads cab is finished, I'm planning another HUGE project: restoring an old Taito cab to a dedicated Bubble Bobble cabinet. Bubble Bobble has always been one of my favourite games (if not THE favourite game) of all times and I've spend lots and lots of hours playing this with a friend of mine (btw: I've ALWAYS played as Bub, don't even "know" how the "blue side" works  ;)).

But since there is no such thing as an original dedicated BB cab and Bubble Bobble was only sold as a conversion kit, I will have to create one myself  :) I have a pretty good idea of how this thing is supposed to look, but I need some help.

I'm looking for high-quality versions (as good as possible) of the sideart, the marquee, the bezel and the control panel - both Taito and Romstar versions. Everything you have on your computers (and which is better than the stuff found on the internet) would be perfect and would help me out towards getting this thing on the road.

BRING IT ON!!!  :spaceace:

EDIT: if anyone has Bubble Bobble stuff for sale (original Taito PCB, wiring harness, control panel, ...) let me know, will you?  8)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:37:13 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - getting started ...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
as i am new here, the only thing i can say is good luck with this project !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »
I totally share your love for the game. I just played it on my son's DS which is a great conversion, but of course this needs to be played on a cab :)

I played the Atari ST version a lot, which was also a pretty faithful conversion.

You do know what letters to enter in the high score table, right ? ;)

I've seen BB PCB's for sale on German E-bay a couple of times.

The fun thing about that there never was a dedicated cabinet is that you can make it the way YOU like it. So create artwork like you thought they would have done back then ...

There's some great vector art here:
http://vectorlib.free.fr/Bubble_Bobble/

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »
damn, i can't find that webpage anymore which had bubble bobble SIDEARTS (not romstar, but bub and bob on a blue background). once again, i forgot to bookmark it while i was there thinking it would be an easy find again, but obviously that's not the case.

anyone want to help me?  :'(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
Good luck finding a working original board. I've been looking for a few months now and not seen one yet!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »
Good luck finding a working original board. I've been looking for a few months now and not seen one yet!

have you tried ebay.com???

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
There is a bubble bobble package going on the US Ebay right now, but bloody expensive @ $259:

Bubble Bobble Set

I've not seen any boards on their own. However, for you that package may be perfect if you need the marquee & manual too. I personally would not pay that price though!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »
Well, it's "only" 195 Euro........excl. shipping.....

That's a lot of money but rare things are expensive.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Any update on this project Ully??

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
Any update on this project Ully??

well, i want to get my BB pcb working first. it has a cracked hybrid module and - believe it or not - a replacement for it was delivered (amongst other things) to me YESTERDAY by my american buddy pat. hopefully it'll fix the pcb ...