Author Topic: Bonjour! I'm doing some study on Starblade, and some other Namco System 21 games  (Read 5565 times)

Naibo

• View Profile
Bonjour!

So nice to find this website. My name is Naibo, an arcade fan, and now I'm doing some study on Namco's "Driver's Eyes", an early 1990's 3D driving game, running on Namco System21 hardware (similar to starblade :-) ).

I've made "Driver's Eyes" workable on MAME. However, there still exists some graphic problems on System21 emulation.
Would you guys verify some screen shots on real arcade starblade machine? Merci!

1. Back face culling issue: does a real starblade machine look like left or right (or it was like left BEFORE being shot, then After being shot, it becomes like right)?

2. More backface culling: "driver's eyes" and  "winning run 91":

3. Priority of winrun91: does the title flies in front of or behind the black car?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:00:02 PM by Naibo »

Dazza

• View Profile
Re: Bonjour!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
Wow pretty cool stuff you are investigating there. I would have loved to get into reverse engineering stuff for MAME, I just don't think I would have had the time, knowledge or patience though and I wouldn't have a clue where to even start!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Hi Naibo, and welcome here  :-*

Let me few days, and I'll check on my Starblade Arcade to be sure ;)

I presume you already know Phil Stroffolino? He's the author of the fabulous Mjolir / Namco System21 emulator. And I can tell you Starblade is very accurate on that emulator.

PS : Maybe you can have a look the Galaxian³ 'Project Dragoon" roms too, on this post  ::) :P

:spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
OK Naibo, regarding the Starblade pictures comparison, I've done a video of the attract mode (where you pictures are coming from too  ;):arrow:

Click here to download the 3.5 MB video clip

As you can see, the arcade version is ...a mix of your two pictures!

Regarding "driver's eyes" and  "winning run 91", I don't own these to games.

Hope this can help.

Let me know if you need more information on Starblade  ;)