Author Topic: How to remove a layer of paint from a cab without damaging the original paint.  (Read 10099 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Guys, some of you know that I have a Nintendo VS Unisystem. I bought the game a few years ago with a container groupbuy. The cab is in very good cosmetical condition, very solid woodwork, but ........ it's

Yep, green, acid green (gifgroen!). Painted by some Americano.  :o

Still, it's a very nice cabinet and I have two great games for it. Dr. Mario and Vs. Super Mario Bros.

The cab has only one real damaged spot, fortunately at a place where new side art will hide it:

Hey, orange!  :o  Of course, this cab used to be a DK Jr, according the serial plate at the back of the cab. Fortunately, I always thought the acid green paintjob was technically a poor job, the paint feels sticky and has a strong orange-skin effect (you know, the effect that women hate on their skin). Probably it would also have a bad bonding with the original orange layer.

So, I tried to peel away the green paint, just with my fingernail. And it peels away very easily. This spot was done in a few seconds:

I tried a few more spots on the frontpanel

Yep, everywhere the nice orange color appears. Seeing the excellent condition of the cab I now have high hopes that the original orange skin is everywhere.

But how to remove the green paint from the whole cab, without damaging the layer beneath it? I can't do it with my fingernails, so who has the golden tip for me? What miracle stuff do I need to use?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:06:57 PM by ckong »

rogerxy

• View Profile
Is the orange layer paint or vinyl?

I would recommend Citristrip Gel if it's vinyl, it works like magic. It might work if it's orange paint as well but I wouldn't risk it

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
I think that it is vinyl, or kind of a laminate if it is the original layer. At least, that's what John says: http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=616.0

Pretty sturdy I guess, maybe the magic sponzes will do their 'magic'.

rogerxy

• View Profile
Then Citristrip Gel should do the trick

Bomjac

• View Profile
Maybe some Scotchbrite scouring pad, coupled with Iso-Propanol alcohol would work.  The scottchbrite is a softish scouring pad which should be ok on the original paintwork (certainly cleaned the gunk off my Sinistar ok with no scratching to the original Williams stencil-work.

http://www.scotch-brite.com/3M/en_US/scotch-brite/tools/~/Scotch-Brite-Greener-Clean-Non-Scratch-Scour-Pad?N=4337+3294529207+3294631751&rt=rud

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Citristrip is not available in Europe AFAIK but I have seen similar products based on the same natural ingredients. I would give that a try.

Or.....I would borrow Marjan's hairdryer....and a plastic scraper  ;D

Seriously....that stuff looks like it's going to come off with a bit of heat easily....

AsPiC

• View Profile
Saint Marc Oxydrine :

Look result here : WIP :: White Pac-Man

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Wow, great result! Found the stuff at a Dutch webshop: http://eshop.meijerijzerwaren.nl/index.php?item=st_-marc-oxydrine-1_4kg&action=article&aid=3627&lang=nl#.WAUb_STiPuE

Might be worth a try.

BTW, which fool paints a beautiful pac-man white!!!  :twisted:

AsPiC

• View Profile
This Pac-Man was paint in white because the wife of the operator thought the decor of the sides did not match with its interior decoration.

:shock: :roll:  :lol:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Oh, of course, women!  :D

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
 ;D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Just to show who is the owner of this 'soon-to-be-beautiful-again' Ninty:

LOL, always wanted to do some grafiiti, so why not on a Nintendo cab!  :D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Started seriously to remove the ugly green paint. That is what we Dutch call 'een monnikenklus', a monks job. But I'm getting there, slowly. It's worth it though, always good to add some value to a cab! (It is soon for sale). Uh, I mean to add beauty to a cab.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
How many bankcards do you have  :) They are the best and safest scraper!