Author Topic: House of the Dead 1 repair  (Read 3936 times)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
House of the Dead 1 repair
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »
Hi guys,

just a quick question:
My house of the dead 1 cab has some problems with the lightguns, means some times they work nice but then you have to move the lightgun cable to get the gun working. This looks like a bad wire, which isnt that big issue.
BUT when I did a Ram check today, it said IC 111 is bad. I cant find a description online to find out which IC is the 111. I either didnt open the box with the PCB so do you know if the IC´s are labeld on the pcb or do you have an instruction manual for the pcb?
I have the normal instruction manual, but didnt find anything helpful for that case.

So my plan is to check/change IC 111 first before I continue opening the gun cable because I dont know what the IC111 is doing ( maybe its an IC for the light guns ).

thank you,
Andi

PS: I have too many projects...

nilfisk

• View Profile
Re: House of the Dead 1 repair
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
I have no idea about HOTD, but taking a quick look at the manual online, it cleary states in chapter 6.3 that the "Memory Test" (the RAM test you refer to) just does a quick RAM/ROM check. "111", I suppose, refers to the position of the memory IC in question on the PCB.

A gun that's working on and off does not sound like a RAM problem to me. Also, checking wires for continuity should be much easier than replacing ICs on a Model 2 board (I don't know you or your soldering skills, though ;) ). Anyway, go for the gun before messing up the PCB, i'd say.

Martin

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »
I either didnt open the box with the PCB so do you know if the IC´s are labeld on the pcb

I don't want to sound like an ass but that should be your first step.

will not say that you find it, but without having just a look inside it is for sure you don't find it.

"111", I suppose, refers to the position of the memory IC in question on the PCB.
Could it be (just guessing here) that it says "I11" which could mean position "I" - "11" on the board ?

for example, i circled the "F"-"5" IC on the attached pic

I agree with Nilfisk, beep out the wires first and fix / replace that.

see what it does after that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:49:49 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
If you're completely stuck, maybe contact Ken Westerfield at http://www.irepairsega.com.
He was still working for Sega during the System 2 era.

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »
Hi guys,

first - thank you for your replies.
Yeah I thought the same, the bad IC and the gun cable are two different problems imo. But on the otherside, the game and sound runs nice, no sign of error. So I thought maybe the IC has something to do with the gun fire / adjustement.

So off course, I made some screenshots ( have to upload them later  ) and the test setting definitely says IC 111 ( three x1 ). But i11 sounded rly possible since I know the A-Z line and 1-9 row from my Outrun.

@Etienne
You dont sound like an a§§, dont worry  ;)
Im here to learn and for joy. And yeah, you are right, when I wrote that thread, I really thought "should I stop writing that thread and just go down to the garage and open that thing?" But I guess because of the temperature, the time, I went the easy way  :oops:

@Q*ris
Thx, I already found that site ( when I read through 20 sites at another US forum ) but as you wrote, if im completely stuck, ill write to him.

Thx guys!

PS: Tomorrow, after my 26h shift, I have time to work again on it.