Author Topic: Generic to Multi conversion  (Read 8412 times)

Valsimot

• View Profile
Generic to Multi conversion
« on: November 07, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
I've had these two generic cabs for a while and since I don't have space for them at home, my brother thought it would be an awesome addition to the office (yes, I work for my brother... don't ask).

Anyway, to satisfy the majority, it was decided to convert the empty cab to a multi-game (game elf blue 619-in-1 to be exact).
Since my brother is impatient, the cab has already been moved to the office. (pic #2)

Here is the print company guy attaching the new sideart. You can see damage to the left leg (it's missing) and the black plastic fell off (need to re-glue it). The sideart came out much better than I expected (wasn't my choice but wasn't my money either :ghost:). (pic #3)

We ordered a new PSU and wiring for reliability. New Sanwa sticks (they're so wonderfully clicky ;D) and concave buttons.
I'll have to build a new CP as the current one already has too many holes. Since I have literally 0 metallurgy skills, I'm gonna have to make it from wood/MDF.
Also need to replace the marquee lamp and see what I can do about the coin slot lights (the wiring is pretty bad and they don't work).

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Vond

• View Profile
Re: Generic to Multi conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
Nothing wrong with using a generic cab for this kind of project IMO!
Looks like a fun project. Good luck!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a generic cab for this kind of project IMO!
Looks like a fun project. Good luck!

+1!

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
Looks Well done

Have fun with it

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
My 2 cents: enjoy the Blue Elf for a while, then sell it and stick a perfectly tuned MAME in that cab instead.
Pixel Perfect is the only way to go in a multicab imho.
... and since you're using the original 15Khz monitor, you're already half way there :)

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:36 AM »
Thanks guys.
I'm a bit worried the CP is gonna give me hell. Trying to fit a Street Fighter layout on 15.5cm*57cm, it should fit but we'll see how it plays.

@ Q*ris X2 - I actually opted for a mame setup initially but was outvoted (too much time/work :roll:). There have been complaints to the lack of Mortal Kombat on the board so who knows, maybe we'll ditch it.

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. WAAAAAAAAAY overdue update...

Due to work priorities, I wasn't able to do the whole project myself. Some was delegated to a co-worker (like the wiring, ugh... will not show that).
Anyway, it's been running for months now even though it's not complete... mostly X-men Vs Street Fighter.

Replacing the marquee light was a pain, the old bulb was dead and the mount was falling apart. I could not find the proper size bulb and mount anywhere. Bauhaus had the right size bulb but doesn't sell that size mount (wtf?). I tore apart an smaller old bathroom light for the mount and ballast and mounted the bulb from Bauhaus (finished pic to be added tomorrow when I get to work).

I've put a coin button in place of the coin door lock as I can't seem to find a lock that would fit. That and the door is a bit of a tight fit so it doesn't open by itself, or easily for that matter.

Andhe cab's new location, the office conference/game room.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:08:27 PM by Valsimot »

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
I built a new leg as the front left one was missing (but can't find the pictures of it...)
I re-glued the black plastic covering the front left leg that fell off during transport.

Still need to make a new backdoor as the old one was water damaged beyond repair (bloated, bent and chipping) and get a lock for it. Anyone know what size lock to get? I got the cabs without any locks and all the locks I can find locally are just tiny.