Author Topic: Arcade collecting morality.....  (Read 8415 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Arcade collecting morality.....
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »
....so I was going through Marktplaats ads and then I found this one:

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/verzamelen/automaten-overige/m948417918-doneer-je-oude-arcade-aan-het-goede-doel.html?c=efb2ef4dc323389c4f92ed10afa33e3a&previousPage=lr

I'll give a general description, it is an ad asking for free arcade games to be donated for "the good cause".
The "good causes" listed are (amongst others) the TonTon club, Nozomi and the Bonami museum (changed name, still same thing).

Now....I know that Nozomi rents out machines for pretty steep prices.
TonTon is not a "good cause"  but a business. Recently they had TonTon Westergas and they even set up a separate company for it:
http://www.kvk.nl/orderstraat/bedrijf-kiezen/?q=TonTon+club#!shop?&q=TonTon%20club&start=0&prefproduct=&prefpayment=

A B.V. is a legal company form where the intention of the company is to make profit.

Bonami .....I don't really know about them.

I don't know the others listed, they seem to be clubs or foundations without profit targets.

I'm sure they are all people with at least a passion for arcade machines in any way or form but......i have mixed feelings about ads like this.....

F.I. at Retro Game Experience collectors who usually pay themselves for the machines and restauration got absolutely no pay for bringing their machines to show there.

So what are your feelings about this ?....here we have people who at the very least are slightly creative with the truth IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:20:36 PM by Level42 »

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade collecting morality.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
I also saw this ad

Isn't this the same institute that offered to help @ eurocade?

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6138.150

Of that list I know Nozomi and the Tonton club. They both have nothing to do with charity, although I like what the guys from Nozomi do a lot (and I like the guys too).

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
"Apple42" - could have been your nick André!   ;)

(I know you have nothing to do with those foundations, this name just stood out)
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
Hah, noticed that too Marco LOL, but definitely not me !!!!

Most of those on the list I have not heard about before. the Dutch pinball club is mentioned as well.....could it be that all those on the list simply don't know about that they are there ?

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
The list indeed appears to be a "mixed bag" or organizations
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:17:56 AM »
Hah, noticed that too Marco LOL, but definitely not me !!!!

Most of those on the list I have not heard about before. the Dutch pinball club is mentioned as well.....could it be that all those on the list simply don't know about that they are there ?

The Dutch pinball is not aware as far as I know and did not ask for this. But feel free to donate a pin   :P

The best donation they ever got was a Monster Bash .... It was totally taken apart and then the owner did not find the time to restore it so he donated it!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
It's BS,  IMO. Some of these organizations may have a non-profit attitude with a good cause,  others are simply commercial active.  Besides,  if they cater 100,000 visitors and members,  they should have a budget out of the entrance fees and contributions.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:57:45 AM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
Exactly.....so now I'd really like to know if these organizations actually know about this and support it, or if this guy is simply a scammer abusing their names...

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
I sent a message to the nozomi guys, if this is a scam it should be stopped

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »
Thanks.

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
I'm opening the Vernimark-Arcade-Foundation, in order to save all vernillo's from the videogame collection dependency. A good cause I think.
If you want to donate some arcades please don't hesitate to contact me.

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »
I know also the Franzy21 Foundation.  :lol:
Andre, you can donate your Namco Galaxian to it if you want.
The "foundation" also accepts any Bertolino Galaxian and all Midway Galaxians N°105 and under...
I'm being told they will all be well cared for.

;D ;D ;D
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »
Well interesting....I hadn't checked the Eurocade thread for a while and only now noticed that there is actually an account registered here with the name AwesomeRetro and they offer to help us:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6138.msg94122#msg94122

They also have a website:
http://awesomeretro.org

Looks pretty legit....but I find it strange never to have heard about these guys before...

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »
I think this ad is meant for people who have arcade games standing around and will be happy to get rid of. I don't think they expect collectors to part with some of their babys just to donate them ;)

This reminds me of those countless ads in Homecomputer magazines: poor student/pupil is searching for free games/disk drives/joysticks/etc  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:07:26 AM by Luigi »