Author Topic: Fluke 9100A signatures  (Read 14861 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Fluke 9100A signatures
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
Its quite a bit of work I think because he says a lot....

I think the general steps he takes are writing to a RAM area, then tests the RAM area which fails and then he shows how to,use the IO module on some buffer IC for that RAM area.the last is most interesting for me as I haven't  tried IO modules yet but it looks not too complicated....

No hurry ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
yeah, he talks about testing ram rom and adress bus and stuff.

its not that she dont understand what he says but i think its better to have specific things you want to have translated, she is not going to write all down while looking (in her eyes boring) video  :D

so if you have certain things you want translated, gimme the timecode on the vid and i'll ask.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
by the way, YouTube does some automatic voice recognition, and for the most part its pretty accurate my wife says.

try the subtitle option and config it to translate in dutch.

most of the things he says are pretty well interpreted by the recognition engine :

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »
Hah, never knew that was even possible, amazing !!

Quite coincidently Anunaki was here yesterday evening and told me about this too, thanks !

Not perfect but it sure helps.

Did anyone notice the barcode tag on the 9100A ? starts with USAF so the previous owner was the U.S. Air Force :)

Mine came from Geveke, currently Getronics, I remember they did repairs for Atari Benelux B.V.

I already something learned from this video and that is how to do block memory writes !!! I knew the 9010A could do this and it has a dedicated key for it but the 9100A doesn't......should have known it was under the WRITE key and then one of the soft keys options.......feel stupid ;)

Anyway this shows how great videos can be as a help.....yes of course there are the manuals and if anyone reads them I do but the amount of info Fluke provided for all parts of the system is staggering...

I'm at page 173 of the programming manual and it is almost 500 pages....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »
Mmmmm, I found an alternative to the SCSI to CF adapter:

http://shop.codesrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=58

It's quite a bit cheaper AND it is actually mentioned to be compatible with the Fluke 9100A.... :)

The thing is quite amazing...you can configure it to "show" a drive serial number etc. so it looks completely like a physical drive to the system it's connected....I guess some hardware will check that stuff....

It's even been tested in an arcade machine: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3027446
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:36:38 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
And a new vid from this guy   :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
He's using a 9010a this time :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:45 PM »
Holy crap, I've spent about 24h. (OK well at least a good part of it) between despair and regret....

Story is....my 9100A's front has come loose. That plastic of the front has become rather brittle over the years and the "latches" (or clamps or whatever they are called) had been partially broken, probably from people opening it before I owned it.

Now, I had put away the machine somewhere but somehow the complete front had fallen down from about 1 meter...... I was not really that worried about it, the flat cable had come loose of course, but I had checked the pins right away and they were not even a bit bent...

But......the display in this unit is not an LED or LCD device but a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display).
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clUVEyi_YNM )

Essentially this is a bit like a CRT (although still different) but it IS in essence a glass tube...soooooo.... there was a slight worry about it...

I wanted to see if I could check some things on the Asteroids so I got out the unit, reconnected the front and powered it up......

The display remained dark and my heart sank.... The LED indicators for BUSY and Hard Drive activity were still working so the connector was OK. Keyboard worked too (at least, I could reset the unit with the reset key).

I tried reseating the Z8 processor as it was somewhat loose, but that didn't help. And there's not much more that can come loose on the display PCB so I thought I was screwed.

You see these displays are not available anymore. There are still VFD's being made, but not this type.... :(

So I already started looking around/asking if anyone would have a display....but the search was unsuccesful.

I already started to look at how the unit sends data to the display (basic enough, ASCII characters as RS-232 at TTL level, but there is also some special graphic commands) and if it might be possible to use another display.

However....as always.....check basics. What bothered me was that there was no visual damage on the VFD. No breaks or cracks. The slightest crack would render it useless of course, because the vacuum has to remain in tact for it to not burn out....

So....let's check voltages ! The VFD requires a couple of rather strange voltages, one of them is 70V for the filament. Measured that one first and....nothing !

Mmmmm....so I searched through the schematics, couldn't find anything how the 70V was generated but I _did_ find a repair log ( http://www.jammarcade.net/fluke-9100-repair-log/ ) and there it mentioned a 125mA fuse for the 70V. I had seen a fuse quite near the front of the unit so.....let's see. Measure it: open !

Replaced it and.....

YESSSSSSSS I was greeted by the beautiful glow of the VFD again ........MAN was I HAPPY !!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:56:02 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
pfffieeuwww, I can imagine that !

now store that B!tch on a place where the front cannot get off  ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:!!!!!!!!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
Have to find a nice mechanical solution to fix the front (while still being able to open the unit)....

Although VFDs are supposed to last very long (20 years) this certain type is simply unavailable (contacted factory). amazingly the product was only cancelled in 2007....which is kinda weird and makes you wonder if there wouldn't be any stock somewhere. However, even IF you can get them they will be pretty pricey.

Now the data that the main PCB sends out to the display is a serial communication like RS-232 but at TTL level. The "simple" characters are ASCII compatible coded. It should be possible to make something with a Raspberry Pi that will receive this data and put it on a display. THere needs to be some software conversion done though as there are several special (control) characters and the display can also do graphics.

Not saying I plan to develop a plug and play solution but I'd first like to see if I can "catch" the data on see them on a terminal program.

To do that I need to interface the TTL level RS-232 to real RS-232 levels. I was first thinking of building a circuit myself with a MAX232 (have plenty of them) but while googling around I found these ....and yet again I am baffled how they can produce AND ship them at these prices and still make some money.....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121597412242&globalID=EBAY-US

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151749229981&globalID=EBAY-US

No way I would even get out my solder station when these things are readily available for prices close to zero.... :)