Author Topic: Wicos Robotron Advice  (Read 3128 times)

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile
Wicos Robotron Advice
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
Does anyone on DLF own a Robotron?

I have a Jamma cab that is a very similar profile to Robotron, so I'm in the process of getting the WSF Jrok, artwork etc....well not really started on the artwork yet bit I will.
It's important to me to get the right feel, and for this I want the correct Wico joysticks.   I really like this game, but to be honest whenever I have seen a real machine, someone has replaced the damn joysticks with microswitch 8 ways, so my experience of wicos is absolute zero.

I've been posting in various forums in wanted threads for 2 x Robotron wicos, and now I have a few leads, one guy says he has 2 x NOS, so of course I'm very interested.

THis is what he says to me "Hi Dean,

The originals had a gray body, all I have left are black, exactly the same otherwise.
"

and here is the picture he sent me.

so my question is simple - are these correct for a Robotron?

Thanks for reading all this.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Wicos Robotron Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
The function is the same, no matter if the base is black or grey. They should be originals, the base should say "WICO" somewhere.

The original Robotron sticks were 4" long....these on the picture seem the be the 3,5" ones...ask him.

http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/technical/wico/

My Robotron has the 3,5 Wicos and I think they're OK. Guys, some of you have played it...did you have the feeling the sticks should be longer? What I haven't done: I wanted to cut out the wood underneath the panel. This way the sticks would come up a little.

I wonder what he wants for those NOS sticks...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:59:35 PM by Luigi »

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Looks exactly like my grey originals, but in black.
I haven't measured the length of the joystick shaft, but I assume mine are 4" since that is standard on Robotron.

I guess the NOS joysticks the guy has are going for a little fortune.
Last set of Robotron Wico joysticks I have seen for sale sold for over 100 USD.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
I bought a set of NOS Wico's years ago and they are still waiting for the Robotron project to happen.

Not sure if they are Robotron Wico's though, I'll have a look.

Being a fan of short throw joysticks (Suzo !) I don't mind if they are shorter than the 4".

The handles come up seperatly from time to time and AFAIK you can replace them.

You pics look like original yes....at least they don't look like the cheap louzy knock-offs I bought when I was still very green in this hobby.......