Author Topic: Paint codes Robotron  (Read 13898 times)

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
Paint codes Robotron
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
Are there RAL colour codes for the sidearts available?

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Paint codes Robotron
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
Since you have a US Joust I assume you will go with the US color scheme ?
VERY unlikely to find any RAL codes for that, but I once read RAL allows for something like a 10% margin in color so not that great really, but I agree, better than nothing.

US (brand) color codes are useless here.

I'd ask the US guys or anyone else with a US cab if the side art colors match any of the CPO/bezel colors and then take that to your favorite paint mixer.

I used the Q*bert side-art yellow as my reference for that cab.

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
Great idea, will do that for the red and blue. :)

Regarding the white basic colour: My only memory on the cabinet was a very drunk night at Capt. Kirks/Luigis gameroom, so I basically remember nothing. :lol:
I know that it is near to impossible to reproduce the original metallic style look, but just as a basic reference (and because internet pics don't mean shit): Would you guys call the tone white (warm or cold?) or more greyish (warm or cold gray?)? Thanksalot. :)

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Their Robotron is an Italian version (often incorrectly refered to as "UK Robotron") and thus has black sides.

So you were pretty drunk yeah ;)

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
 :lol:

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
Whilst sanding I discovered some silverish paint and red spots under the Joust brown, could that be Robotron artwork including the white/grey (it used to be a Robotron in the first place)? If so I'll try and get a close match with the RAL colour palette.

Mickey_Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:20:01 AM »
This thread over on KLOV has the automotive color codes (and year and make/model of cars). This may be of use?

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=275918&highlight=beware+robotron+paint&page=3

I don't have my Robotron anymore to compare the colors I used to the marquee, but I still probably have the rattle cans that I used. I believe they were a Rust-Oleum product, not sure if you have that brand there.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
We have Rustoleum in Europe but there are some different product lines.

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Thanksalot, Mickey Mouse! Found a local (german) seller for it:
http://www.spraydosen-shop.de/spraydose-hyundai-bw-new-mild-silver-metallic-basislack

Fuck it, I'll give it a try! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »
Mmmmmmmmm, don't want to shatter your dreams, but it's going to be hell to get a nice even result with a large surface like a cab-side with a rattle-can.....

But maybe you're a better rattle-can sprayer than I am  ;D

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »
I graduated in painting which gives me some sort of paint knowledge and also I'll do this a friend who is a professional house painter. There's a small chance we won't completely fuck it up. ;D

Mickey_Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Sorry for my late reply, but here is what I used for my Robotron cabinet.

for the silver (sprayed on using a HVLP spray gun):

and the blue and red:

best picture I have of the cabinet ATM (I know, sorry made it a JROK multi-William, but it had none of the OEM hardware (got it as a Block Out) and hard to find the OEM board around where I live without pay excessive shipping costs from the US):

Edit: the blue looks weak in the picture, but it is like the cap color in the can pictured above. The colors were probably a close match to the red/blue in the marquee/bezel though looking at my pictures.

I can say that it looked awesome when the sun hit the paint with the metal flake that was in the silver and the red and blue really popped. How close there are to OEM I don't know, but it looked really good to me (and I am anal about such things). I was too cheap to buy the automotive paints CAN$100+ per can.

Note: if you like, I can find some card stock and spray the colors onto it and mail you a copy if you like so you can color match. Not sure how well it will work, but it is something I can do to help. ;) PM with your address.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:04:03 PM by Mickey_Moose »

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:18 PM »
Wow, that looks f...ing awesome!! Great work, mate!!
I already ordered the silver paint (Hyundai mild silver metallic) and will go the the sticker way for the sidearts so no need for the "real" colours. Nonetheless thanksalot for your nice offer! :) :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
...(and I am anal about suck things)...

Dude............aren't we all ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
As I am about to paint my Robotron cab, this thread will be very helpful. Wurstkopp, would you like to share how your machine turned out?
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.