Author Topic: Fixing my EMs: Chicago Coin's TWIN RIFLE (picture heavy)  (Read 14532 times)

nilfisk

• View Profile
Fixing my EMs: Chicago Coin's TWIN RIFLE (picture heavy)
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
I've finally found the time to get another EM machine in my basement going. This time, it's Chicago Coins 1971 gun gallery "TWIN RIFLE" - a rather fast and competitive game, I must say.

Unfortunately, having been stored in a shed for decades, the process started off with TWIN RIFLE in a rather rough shape:

Dirty on the outside, and with a lot of gum and grease on all the relays and motors on the inside:

However, as an unexpected surprise, both the original schematics as well as tons of pricing and instruction cards where still tucked away in the backbox :o

Anyways, time to start working :). As almost always with EMs, let's start off with two crucial components: the score wheels and the score motor.

The score wheels are located in the header, together with the game timer motor and the score relay, so let's remove the head so that we can access them easily.

As expected, gummed up and not turning freely.

Fortunately, the score units used by CC during this time are easy to dis-, and (probably even more important) reassemble :).

Rebuiling them took about 2 hours, and they look and work almost like new now.

What's bothered me more, though, was the fact that the left gun was not working. First of all, taking the gun appart, I noticed a broken trigger switch contact on the inside. As this is a game specific part, I solved this by using lots of solder to fix the contact blade again. I am not sure if this will last for a very long time, but for now it's working.

Also, even with a working trigger, the gun recoil was not working for the left player's gun. Again, a broken switch blade was the cause, this time on the trigger control relay in the backbox. I again temporarily fixed this by soldering the blade in place again, but later on replaced the whole switch, as I found a suitable replacement in my parts box. The picture still shows the temporary fix.

Now that both guns were working, I ran into another problem: every now and then, the player 1 and 2 start buttons stopped working. As this was occuring randomly, and affected both buttons, I suspected a contact problem or broken cable somewhere between the gun panel and the backbox. Time to start hunting :).

.... starting from the game's front ...

.... and using loads of alligator clips to bridge and trace each and every contact involved in the game initialisation process. The included schematics came in quite handy now.

Finally, I was able to locate a broken wire between a plug at the bottom of the cab (near the transformer) and the score motor. As I was too lazy to separate 30+ cables that were running up from there to the backbox in one big string, I simply patched in a wire in parallel and ... voilá, start buttons are working again as expected every time.

Now that I got working start buttons and guns, I noticed that sometimes the same target appeared again and again, eternally. This was caused by the program unit being gummed up as well (a simple one-directional stepper unit cycling through the "target program" endlessly).

So it was time for a rebuild once again. I usually sand down the contacts with fine sandpaper, then remove all the dust and dirt with cleaning alcohol, and finish off by applying a small layer of teflon grease, to reduce the friction between the contact blades and the pcbs. The picture makes it look as if I used tons of grease, while in fact I try to use as little as possible/needed. Also, as already stated in my small report on my SAMI resto, I never grease or lube anything where plastic and metal touch each other. In fact, I try to avoid greasing/lubing wherever possible.

This cured the target problems as well.

As still some target hits weren't registering properly, I also calibrated the guns (a painful procedure if you're, like me, missing the fixation brackets for the guns that originally came with the game - took me hours for both guns ...). You have to exactly allign the finger below each gun to the corresponding target contacts:

Finally, I also replaced the old selenium rectifier used to generate DC for the motors and the sound board .... Erratum: the sound board has it's own crude rectifying circuit using a bunch of regular diodes, and a 18v zener diode for voltage regulation. It is supplied 10 and 30 VAC via the connector. Also, the second board next to the sound board is not connected to it in any way; it's merely a cheap power supply circuit for the optional 8-track player (it only consists of 4 diodes and a smoothing cap).

The sound board power setup is visible from the schematics in the game manual, though not the main schematics I was using as a reference. As it seems, "RTFM" does not only apply to modern day technology ;)

.... with a modern one. I usually leave the old ones in place, just for the looks.

With tons of pictures posted now already, be assured that, additionally to the stuff described above, I ran into tons of smaller problems, ranging from misalligned contacts, to me breaking two of the deer's heads (the plastic used for them seems to have suffered from aging and is VERY fragile now  ::) - but nothing that can't be fixed again by proper gluing ;)), and having to remove the whole transformer unit because of one f**** screw falling down and right below it. But at least I now know my way around this game, as I have probably touched each and any contact/component at least once :D .

Also, I still have to fix the soundboard, and get around to take care of some cosmetic stuff.

What counts though is that the usual crowd (kids) is happy with the newly resurrected game, as you can see in the last picture :D

Cheers,
Martin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:00:15 PM by nilfisk »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing my EMs: Chicago Coin's TWIN RIFLE (picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »
Love it !
I just love the mechanics.

Very cool!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
Nce report Martin. I see you have a flipp foto installed..... Is it working and can you post some pics. I have one too " somewhere in parts"  :D

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
Great Martin....you are the EM-Godfather!!!
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
Nce report Martin. I see you have a flipp foto installed..... Is it working and can you post some pics. I have one too " somewhere in parts"  :D

Unfortunately, it's not. Or let's say: I have no idea, as I have never hooked it up to any of my pinballs, even though I bought it more than 10 years ago  ::). But it supposedly is complete, so if you need pics of any specific parts or areas, let me know, I'll do my best.

Great Martin....you are the EM-Godfather!!!

Haha, thanks for that, but if you'd see my sloppy repair jobs in real life, you'd know I'm nowhere near as good as the real "resto kings" here or on KLOV ;). But it seems I'm at least able to follow schematics and get these beasts going again, so I'm satisfied for now :D

Also, once I got the ...... soundboard working in TWIN RIFLE, I can finally move on to my favorite EM machine (also the only one not in the basement, but near the living room ;)):

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »
these are still impressive. a dedicated part of "klov" forum is just for EM games problems & fix.

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
This is great to see a EM game for a change
Great thread
I will be dragging my battle sharks out of storage this spring so it's intersting to see.

Is there a dedicated forum for EM machines ?

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
Update: I've now also got the gun soundboard working.

First of all, I replaced the edge connector with a brand new one, and mounted it away from the second pcb (the rectifier board for the optional tape player), so it was accessible more easily. Replacing the connector brought back the 10 VAC and 30 VAC used to power the soundboard.

Digging further from there, I found that the zener diode used to regulate the power for the amp IC was fried. As a reference:

On the sound card, you can check you have 18vdc across dr4 which is the diode on the right from the main ic. You can also check you have 10vdc between the cathode on diode d5 (directly below the ic) and ground.

This fixed power to the amp IC, but there still was no sound. Due to the boards rather unique power requirements, i dediced it was easier to move my scope to the board than the board to the test bench/scope for signal hunting. I also mounted a small button between pins 1 and 18 of the edge connector, so that I didn't have to use the guns to trigger the gun sound. Power is supplied to the sound PCB as soon as you start a game, but game time starts running only once you pull the gun's trigger, so this allowed me to poke around the powered soundboard eternally without much modification to the game.  

Turns out the 2N5027 transistor at Q2 was dead, so I replaced it (these are still widely available). I also desoldered and tested each of the other transistors to be on the safe side. Mind though: these are all labeled X-16-X-5332, supposedly an internal parts number or a similar, uncommon identifier. I've found a thread on KLOV where C546Bs are named as cross types. This does not seem to be true, as at least their pinout is different (the chinese transistor tester I bought some months ago comes in handy here ;) ), so they are not a drop in replacement. As all of my X16s tested good, though, I did not dig further into this.

Now I could see sounds going to pin 6 of the amp IC, but nothing coming out to the speakers. Again, Chicago Coin has used internal part numbers here (URL106005), but this one clearly crosses with an LM380, so I simply socketed and replaced it, and all was good.

Now there was also a signal coming out of the amp, but still no sound  to be heard ??? . It was only now I realised that the two large speakers on the games sides are ONLY used for the optional tape player. For the gun sound, a tiny speaker at the front base is used. It was obvious that someone had replaced that one before, and had used a standard PC speaker rated at 0,5W for the job. The LM380 puts out 2W peak, and it seems that was too much for the tiny speaker over the years - it was shot. I used a similar, but properly rated speaker from a parted out cocktail table, and sound was finally back :).

(Above: the newly mounted board with the replaced speaker in a still somewhat dirty cabinet. The second, white connector is for the tape player rectifier board. As I do not have a player atm, I removed it for now)

I'll now try to use a small MP3 player as a replacement for the 8-track-player. Shouldn't be too hard, so I'll wait with cleaning and finishing off the front part of the game for another week or so ;)

Martin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:29:44 AM by nilfisk »

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
A MP3 instead of the 8-Track would be a great solution. How would you switch the player on/off?
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:28 AM »
A MP3 instead of the 8-Track would be a great solution. How would you switch the player on/off?

Quite easily. I grab the 12 VDC from the tape player power board (power is only present once the game has started). With these, I generate 5 volt via a L7805, and use them to power a small no-name MP3 player (one of these: http://www.ebay.de/itm/MINI-ALUMINIUM-MP3-PLAYER-DISPLAY-CLIP-ZUBEHOHRPAKET-MUSIK-bis-8GB-USB-NEU-/181639454322?pt=DE_MP3_Players&hash=item2a4a8e1e72 ). It's a SOC solution, so it boots and starts playing almost instantly on power-on. I amplify the audio with another LM380 I had lying around, and off it goes to the TWIN RIFLE's speakers.

Pretty? No. Working? Yes :). Also, this can be removed again in minutes, without any permament modifications to the game.

And best of all, I've had all the parts lying around at home anyways, so no extra cost.

Btw., I'm open musical suggestions fitting the game's theme. Being a long time vegetarian, my knowledge on hunting songs is somewhat limited :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:01:17 AM by nilfisk »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
Mmmmmm love those machines. Those and B/W games were my first arcade experiences. Love that you get them working again but IMHO I'd try to get an 8-track for it, but i can see this is an easier solution.
Most important.....what sounds were there for the game.....I'm pretty sure there was no music but sounds like ducks quacking etc.etc. depending on the game theme of course.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
Maybe here is something suitable ?

http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/

I noticed that it's claimed that CC didn't make a tape for this game....

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
Maybe here is something suitable ?

http://arcadearchive.com/em/sound/

I noticed that it's claimed that CC didn't make a tape for this game....

That's correct, and I've already browsed through the recordings on the 8track tape archive you mentioned - thanks for the hint, though! There never was a dedicated tape for Twin Rifle, and even the player itself was only optional.

I've now stuck to using nature sound recordings, as they make for a nice background that fits the game's theme.

As for the game's native sound effects: the sound board is only there for gun sounds, and of course I've fixed it and kept it original - see here: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6052.msg88889#msg88889 ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:38:07 PM by nilfisk »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »
Yeah finding "correct" 8 track tapes would be a nightmare....apart from all the other drawbacks.

Yep nature sounds should be fun....They do indicate that "Duck Hunt" is still to be done...maybe that would have some fitting sounds.
However the site seems a bit out of date. AFAIK Journey and Thief tape sounds are already available....

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »

WOW....the forum can learn a lot from you, I am very impressed.

I hope to see that beauties one day in peron  :)