Author Topic: Replacing the GT6 laserdisc players?  (Read 4376 times)

Tom41

• View Profile
Replacing the GT6 laserdisc players?
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Ok, we know that the laserdiscs in arcade games (including GT6 games) can be unreliable. The discs can suffer from 'laser rot', and the players need precise maintenance to keep going. The Galaxian 3 Project Dragoon I used to play at my arcade started having problems with its right screen - the player would keep jumping back to the beginning of the segment or even to the beginning of the disc!

What I was wondering is, since all the footage has now been captured to AVI, would it be possible to replace the LD players with a PC and hard disk? The PC could TV-out the laserdisc footage to the game board, and respond to the serial commands from the board so it still 'jumps' when necessary.

The game would still be running normally - in fact, the game ROM would think that it's still controlling two laserdisc players  ;D but without the reliability problems caused by the players.

You'd need to program a simple interface that would cause the video to jump around when a command was received over serial, but I think the serial commands are well documented. It would make it a lot easier to switch between English and Japanese soundtracks, for example, as well as not worrying about the discs wearing out!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Replacing the GT6 laserdisc players?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »
Hi Tom41, and welcome on this board  :)

What I was wondering is, since all the footage has now been captured to AVI, would it be possible to replace the LD players with a PC and hard disk? The PC could TV-out the laserdisc footage to the game board, and respond to the serial commands from the board so it still 'jumps' when necessary.

That would be my dream in fact  :P Or using an other LD player model would be a nice option too  ::)
This is possible. Some masters here would be able to do that. Better than that, they have already done it but for other games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace,...).

See the great work done by Matteo Marioni on his EURO DRAGON'S LAIR PC CONVERSION.
Another great interface is the LASER BRIDGE done by Xadhoom & Igorstellar.

Maybe they already know a conversion table between the LD commands of a Pioneer LD-V800 and other laser disc players ?