Author Topic: Stretch-wrap, arcade-hunters best friend or worst enemy?  (Read 7928 times)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Stretch-wrap, arcade-hunters best friend or worst enemy?
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »

Today I want to give a precious hint about a foil called stretch-wrap.

A product that many of you might have used and others might never heard about.

If you pick cabinets regulary you have the problem to transport them and even if most of them are scratched and harmed we should care not to damage this old games anymore.

Some of you use blankets (which is also not a bad way) but I think the best overall-solution is to wrap the cabinet.

Especially if you plan to store the game for a indefinite time you cannot do anything better than to wrap THE ENTIRE CABINET, from all sides, with stretch foil.

My technique is to apply cardboard on the corners and the surfaces which will held in place with proper wrap of stretch foil.

That got 2 very important effects:

First off all the cab is perfectly sealed. If you did a proper wrap-job from all sides, the machine is not only saved from dust, it is even waterproof.
The second thing is that the cardboard adds a little bumper-layer to the cab that not even saves the surfaces, edges and corners of the cab - it also saves your flat or house from collissions between the cabinet and walls or door frames when you bring the game in your game-room or basement.

Also - you can lay the game on just every side you want and the wheel-barrow cant scatch the cab.....I always go with a wheel barrow.

I wrapped my first 3 games I picked the perfect way but more I went lazy and picked them just they way the was.
Now that I pick arround 25 games I realize again that being lazy is the biggest mistake you can make.

If you got helping hands from you friends, never guess them to care for your games the way you do, I had that problem 3 days ago when I picked the last lot of machines.

We DID make a slightly wrap-job, but only with the foil but without cardboard and I already regret it.
It saved the game from the rain.....but the foil alone does not protect the game from hits or scratches.

For the future I going to cardboard/strech-foil-wrap every single game again.

That is the simple explaination why stetch-wrapping is the arcade-collectors best friend....

SO HOW EVER COULD SUCH A PERFECT THING BE THE WORST ENEMY OF OUR BELOVED VINTAGE-MACHINES???

Believe it or not, that foil is so extremly elastic that it can scrunch a cabinet with ease.

Usually stretch-foil got a elasticity-rating of 200% but you can stretch good products up to 500% before the foil collaps and rips.

So lets make a little calculation:

I wrap a box all around with a force of 10kg (and to pull with 10kg is not a big performance for guys that play around with 100+kg machines), the wrapping applies a pressure of 10kg on the box.

Now we dont stop wrapping after one layer, we going to wrap the entire  box and do that using 10 layers....we now have 10 layers with a pressure of 10kg each layer which results in a total pressure of 100kg.....

Who would lay a weight of 100kg on his cabinet, especially on the big side-surfaces which got no support inside?

The biggest problem occurs when I cabinet got no back-door!

The back-door supports the 2 side-panels from being pushed towards one another buy the stretch-foil and break to the inside of the cabinet.

There exists a picture on the web.
It shows a plole-position cabinet that got no back-door which has been wrapped until one of the side-panels collapsed under the huge pressure of the wrapping.

It did not happen to me yet, but it made me reconsidering the mechanical forces of an elastic foil that is applied in multiple layers.

I think its worth sharing before one of our members runs into that problem and stating afterwards "I saw that happen before on a picture on the web"

If I find the picture I post it, if anybody of you guys know that picture, please provide it.  :)
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Stretch-wrap, arcade-hunters best friend or worst enemy?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
......just the best way to protect a game
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »

I think its worth sharing before one of our members runs into that problem and stating afterwards "I saw that happen before on a picture on the web"

If I find the picture I post it, if anybody of you guys know that picture, please provide it.  :)

thx mate!
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
Thanks for your report and the warning....I prefer to use blankets and risk a little scratch rather than having a collapsed 30 years old cabinet....IMHO 10 layers is too much anyway...2 or 3 layers, not pulled too hard is enough.

A similiar thing are those straps to fix a cab inside a truck. They're very good to keep the cabs from moving or even falling. But they can do serious damage to the edges of the cabs if you use too much power to fasten them.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:20:04 AM by Luigi »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
IIRC it happened to Bruno's Karate Champ?

thank you for mentioning that again... he nearly forgot about that. now he will kick my butt again... :( :( :(
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

thx mate!

;)

Thanks for the attention :)

Thanks for your report and the warning....I prefer to use blankets and risk a little scratch rather than having a collapsed 30 years old cabinet....IMHO 10 layers is too much anyway...2 or 3 layers, not pulled too hard is enough.

A similiar thing are those straps to fix a cab inside a truck. They're very good to keep the cabs from moving or even falling. But they can do serious damage to the edges of the cabs if you use too much power to fasten them.

Ohhhh, those are bad indeed!!!

People love to squeeze the water out of the wood.

The seller of my Top Skater straped the base and the monitor-unit so hard to one another that it made a laud BAMMM!!!! when I released the strap.

Not the right way.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:52:35 PM by synonym9 »

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
IIRC it happened to Bruno's Karate Champ?

thank you for mentioning that again... he nearly forgot about that. now he will kick my butt again... :( :( :(

What happened, Tyrem?  :(

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
It's like tightening a bolt: don't overdo it.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
It's like tightening a bolt: don't overdo it.

Really, but I never thought that a cabinet can be broken by foil.....if it got no backdoor installed at all.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
I just stretch it a bit but not too crazy. We used bubble-foil first and then stretch-wrap for moving the cabs for RGE/Eurocade. Not damage.

And 10 layers ? 2 is plenty.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
I just stretch it a bit but not too crazy. We used bubble-foil first and then stretch-wrap for moving the cabs for RGE/Eurocade. Not damage.

And 10 layers ? 2 is plenty.

I did not really mean 10 layers but rather 10 runs around the cab with 50% overlapping.

Using something soft under the foil is the best thing one can do.....bubble foil is probably the best stuff for that use.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
Well as long as you don't put the cabs on the back or side etc. We only transport them upright but I think your method with cardboard is better when shipping long distance/unknown shippers etc.

One thing I noticed when using shrink-wrap.....it's very static. Don't use it wrap PCBs..... :)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
Well as long as you don't put the cabs on the back or side etc. We only transport them upright but I think your method with cardboard is better when shipping long distance/unknown shippers etc.

One thing I noticed when using shrink-wrap.....it's very static. Don't use it wrap PCBs..... :)

Yes, it is very static indeed....actually thats it what makes shrink wrap to shrink wrap.
Every other foil just would unwrap as soon as you as you cut it off.

You think it could harm a PCB?

We should rename that thread in

"Important hints for Arcade-Hunters"  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Well if there's CMOS IC's on the PCB, yes !

Most classics (pre 85 or so) only have TTL so you might be luckier with those but anyway....who wants shrink-wrap around PCBs ;)

There is already risk when using regular bubble foil, if you pack electronics you should use a special kind of bubble foil....but on the other hand...plenty of boards I have working were once in "general" bubble foil.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 01:58:45 AM »

TTL discret logic is pre 80/81 from what I know