Author Topic: Atari Jet Fighter. PCB Repair log  (Read 5752 times)

smarty

• Hampshire, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Jumpnfire.com
Atari Jet Fighter. PCB Repair log
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
I thought you guys might appreciate a repair I've been working on for the last few evenings  :)

Back in March I fired up my new cab and was pretty happy with the results, The game powered up and seemed to work, with exception of what I took as a graphic fault seen below where the Jets were displayed multiple times vertically down the screen.

Original testing in March.

I decided I was going to spend some time to look at this board this week just gone. My initial diagnosis above was not quite correct... Looking closer at what was on the screen the 'Jet' graphic was not complete and had bits missing especially noticeable in the white Jet. Also it was not possible to score points, I thought it may be due to the fact so many Jets were on screen at the same time. So I was looking at multiple faults already, and as (bad) luck would have it, after having the board on soak for a few hours I looked at the screen to check the game was still running and all I could see was a black screen! A few expletive's came out of my mouth and then I re-powered the cab, the image below is what I now had to work with...

The black 'Jet' and 'Score' were missing and instead of having a solid light background colour there we now horizontal bands in alternating colour going down the screen. (difficult to see in the photo below, but move visible in the photos further down.)

The fault log begins with this screen.

I have a copy of the Operation & Maintenance manual and it has some great description of what signals control certain aspects of the game, this certainly aided my fault finding, I also printed some A3 schematics that I could mark up in pencil and highlighter pens.

Initially I did go round the houses trying to work out where in the circuit the faults were, but after reading the manual a few times and following the signals in the schematics I got hot on the trail of issues, cutting to the chase, the faults were as follows.

IC location F3 a 74LS10 (3 input NAND gate) now had no output from pin 12. This provided the Jet/Score and Shell for black Jet.

Black Jet & Score back, but Jet video is inverted.

So with video back, I played a few games and noted that the score wouldn't increase when the Jets were hit with shells and the fact that no explosion registered to say the Jet had been hit. As it turns out another 74LS10 this time at location E1 had no Output on pins 6 & 8, these are the two trigger signals for Jet 1 & 2 respectively that further down the circuit chain pulse a 'BLO UP 1/2' signal which is used for detection of a hit. With this IC changed the score now worked and Jet explosions happened when hit by a shell.

Scores now working

The White Jet graphic was slightly corrupt not correctly displaying properly, The data for plane comes from ROMS at J5 & K6 (2K each). This data is shared between the two planes, so as the black Jet looked fine (although inverted) I was pretty sure the ROMs were OK. The ROM data is fed into a pair of Parallel to serial converters. For the white Jet they are at locations J4 & K4. Pin 7 of K4 provides the serial data through a few more IC's before becoming the Jet 2 video signal. The IC clearly was outputting something as you could see the image on screen, but my Logic probe was saying that pin 7 had no signal (High/Low or pulsing) Pin 9 is the inverted state id pin 7 and although not used in the circuit appeared dead too. I compared this to the Logic to the Black Jet and those same pins were pulsing along nicely. Time to swap K4, once replaced the Jet graphic was spot on and working.

I needed to get to the bottom of the 'multiple Jets on screen' fault that this board has had since I first turned it on. I'll put finding this fault down to mild guess work and lots of general probing around. I had the opinion that the issue was in the Vertical motion counter section of the circuit. Seeing as the fault was on both Jets and that each Jet had its own counter I had a hunch that these weren't directly the fault. The output from the counter for both Jets was fed into a 74LS74 flip flop IC. Pins 5 & 9 are the output pins which are mixed with the Horizontal blanking and Horizontal Jet position. They were stuck low. I cut one of the pins in circuit to confirm nothing else was pulling the pin low and it stayed low. Time to replace it...
Wohoo! Fixed as shown below, just the inverted black 'Jet' video and the background bars remaining.

Only one black Jet (Video inverted) and one white Jet.

More general probing around the final stages of video signals before they are joined in a resistor network found me this fault, IC at E4 an 74LS08 pin 6 provides the final video data for the White Jet. (Jet video and H/V blank info) As with the earlier fault the output was working but using a logic probe gave odd results, I did 'piggyback' an IC on top of the one in circuit and the background issue was gone, so I replaced the IC and that left the inverted video fault...

I remembered reading in the manual that when a Jet was hit by a shell the Jet's video was briefly inverted, to me it seemed this was happening constantly. The 'BLO UP' signal comes out or a 2 input gate at position K8, the logic probe was telling me this signal was constantly low, I monitored this in a game and made a white shell hit the black Jet, the output on the gate stayed low. Next up I cut this pin and re-powered the game. The Black Jets video image was now the correct was round, using the White Jet I fired a shell at the Black Jet, the game functioned as expected but without the brief inversion of video (that pin now wasn't connected!) So I replaced the IC and for now the game is fixed and fully working.

I've really enjoyed getting these faults fixed and think I've learnt a fair bit these last few evenings. Now its time to sort the cabinet out.

Cheers, Mart.

Background banding issue fixed, inverted Black Jet video fixed. Game...Fixed!
www.jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Re: Atari Jet Fighter. PCB Repair log
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »
Love these repair stories.... Well done. For sure must be a very rewarding hunt  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
Awesome work and love these reports, keep it up!!!

Love the cab and the game is a lot of fun especially two player :)

smarty

• Hampshire, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Jumpnfire.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
Atari Jet Fighter. PCB Repair Part 2...
Well after have a fair amount of play recently and being switched on for 10+ hours in attract mode, Jet Fighter developed a fault when switched on a few days ago...

In attract mode the Black Jet was erratically flying backwards, not something I'd seen before with this board. When you started a game the Black Jet carried on flying backwards and the left/right rotate controls we not working for either Jet.

I started probing around the vertical and horizontal motion counters to see if I could track down the issue, there are four signal J1C0-J1C3 which are derived from a 64-bit RAM IC, probing these for the Black Jet circuit I found that they were all stick high and not pulsing as I would have expected.

This board is quite nice as the Black & White Jets have pretty much identical circuitry so it was easy to compare one with the other.

Checking out the other pins on the RAM, I found that the W/E pin was being held high, I traced this back to an LS7432 (2-Input OR gate) and confirmed that the output was stuck high (confirmed against the White Jet circuitry). I cut the output pin on the 7432 and it was still stuck high and not pulsing away. Once swapped out with a replacement, The game is fully working again.

Schematics showing the area of the fault this time.
www.jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:

smarty

• Hampshire, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Jumpnfire.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
Time for another fault on my Jet Fighter game board...

This time the Jet's would appear to be flying backwards and the rotation from the joystick was all over the place, they would rotate correctly for a short time then just jump to a completely different direction.

After lots of probing about I was at a loss as to where the issue was. Everything that should have been pulsing away with data seemed to be, I couldn't find any dead or stuck high/low outputs as with previous faults.

The Rotation signals from the control sticks come from two 74193's, these output signals seemed to change fine when the game was in play mode and the stick was turned left or right. These signals feed into a 74193 (which is actually a 9322 IC on my board) and the outputs feed into the small ROM's which contain the Jet data so they looked like they could be faulty candidates.

I removed the 9322's (there are two) one controls rotation and one does vertical motion, I de-soldered these and put sockets in, testing both in my IC tester shown one was faulty. The 9322 at J6 tested faulty, this was the IC that controls the rotation addressing of the ROM. Popped a new on in and the game is working again.
www.jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
Nice fix  :spaceace:

smarty

• Hampshire, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Jumpnfire.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 05:27:53 PM »
Nice fix  :spaceace:

Here's another fix I did this morning...

Atari Jet Fighter. What's the score?
So another week goes by and my Jet Fighter board has another failure, these 40 year old 74 series logic seem to be dropping on a regular basis from being powered on for a few hours here and there...

This this when I started a game, the scores didn't reset to '0' for either player, when I scored some 'hits' on the other Jet the score moved in an odd sequence something along the lines of 2,3,2,6,4,11.

Out comes the operation manual and my printed schematics. The scores are initially generated by two identical circuits comprising a 7493 binary counter, Pins two and Three which are linked to the 'START' signal are used to reset the counter to zero when the game starts. Pin 14 is the counter input which is pulsed when either Jet is 'Hit'. The output pins hen count upwards to a maximum of 15 and pass on to some more circuitry.

Jet Fighter Score Counters

After playing a few games I noted the following... the score was being reset every time a game was started, just not to zero, and it was actually counting, just not in a sequential order, I made the assumption that these two counters would not be the issue as having two different IC's fail at the same time was improbable, If one of these had failed it would seem more likely that one of the scores would stop working and not both at the same time.

The next part of the circuitry that relates to the scores is shown below:

Jet Fighter Score selecting

The 74157 at location A5 receives the signals from the two 7493 counters. I used my logic probe to test the pins of this IC. Pin 1 was pulsing away as expected and the input pins were all the in the same logic state as the output pins from the 7493 counters. There are  four output pins used which feed into a Prom which selects the Score number data, by my testing, pin 12 which is output 4Y on the datasheet was stuck high all the time. Quickly piggybacking a new 74157 cured the scoring, but did seem to have a side effect of resetting the game a short while after stating a new game. Anyway once socketed, I put in a new 74157 and we're back to fully working again. My IC tester confirmed that output 4 of the IC was faulty.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:50:03 PM by smarty »
www.jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS: