Author Topic: Computer games which deserve an original dedicated arcade?  (Read 34880 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: Computer games which deserve an original dedicated arcade?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
Holy fuck. As much as I like the idea they butchered a Wizard of Wor for this?!

Probably not.
Archon it's a mix of action and strategy.
It's a real "chess battle" (..perhaps it's ispired the PC game..) in arcade style.
..I spend many afternoon when I was child in first '80, to try to win a game against C64.... really hard I remember..

i played Archon for decades back then when I had my Atari XL as a kid. But this cab is a butchered Wizard of Wor for sure.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

biasini

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
Great game Archon!  :)
Others with gameplay similar to arcade, are Barbarian and IK+

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »
I forgot Barbarian.
It'd be awesome!!!
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

Frame

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »
But this cab is a butchered Wizard of Wor for sure.

..okey, Tyrem you win  :-*.

But, my personal ans to : "Computer games which deserve an original dedicated arcade?" remain : ARCHON

As (..other great game for '80 Home Computer..) "Boulderdash", first borned like a Home Computer Game.. a unique strategy (as chess style...not too close to Arcade gamestyle..) game,
but never ported in the "coin machine world"..

I'd like very much a ARCHON porting, to play it with the powerfull of Arcade's performance (..the time past and now play the C=64 game it's more for nostalgia than satisfaction..):
.. for me ARCHON deserve it.

For completeness, (ideally) I say, the PC Game (..so '90 game) that deserve a original arcade is "The Lost Vikings"... but I prefer to stay in the '80...so: ARCHON

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:39:05 PM by Frame »
Searching for Astro Wars glass

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »

As (..other great game for '80 Home Computer..) "Boulderdash", first borned like a Home Computer Game.. a unique strategy (as chess style...not too close to Arcade gamestyle..) game,

Actually there was a Boulder Dash arcade cabinet from Exidy. But that was a bit like the NeoGeo-cabs I guess. Still cool cab.
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Advert/big/Boulder_Dash_-_1984_-_Exidy.jpg
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 02:14:41 PM »
Boulderdash, Archon and Barbarian, such sweet memories from C64 times :-)

I dont remember the name, but there was a helicopter game from birdview where you had to refuel and fight enemy stations and clear islands or so.

Frame

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »

Actually there was a Boulder Dash arcade cabinet from Exidy. But that was a bit like the NeoGeo-cabs I guess. Still cool cab.

Yes, I konw..

<<.."a unique strategy (as chess style...not too close to Arcade gamestyle..) game, but never ported in the "coin machine world" >>  it's refer to Archon.. Italians sentences use the "tacit subject"..sorry...

Searching for Astro Wars glass

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »
ah sorry. got that wrong, mate. :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »
Boulderdash, Archon and Barbarian, such sweet memories from C64 times :-)

I dont remember the name, but there was a helicopter game from birdview where you had to refuel and fight enemy stations and clear islands or so.
Two of those were originally designed for the A8 :D

Sadly Barbarian never made it to the A8....but I did play it a lot on the ST....must admit I was quite shocked the first time I chopped a head off..... :shock: :shock: but how the little monster kicked away the head made me LOL  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »

http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Advert/big/Boulder_Dash_-_1984_-_Exidy.jpg

That _is_ the Atari 8 bit version in a cab..... like Flip & Flop.....and maybe there were more....can't remember.

biasini

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »

Desert Strike?

For Exidy and Boulderdash, there is an interesting story here:

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.it/2013/08/the-ultimate-so-far-history-of-exidy.html

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
I've always dreamed of a cab with Artillery Duel from the C64.

You know, the game with two cannons in the mountains and you have to enter the power for the shot, considering obstacles between the two cannons like mountains, trees etc. and the wind.

I thought you could have a lever on top of the controlpanel to select 1 from let's say 5 different amounts of gun powder for your shot. (similiar to the lever on Missile-X for the 3 different distances) You have to load a cannonball, maybe by rolling a trackball. And you have to adjust the angle by turning a wheel at the front of the cab. Like the ones used on the big cannons. Finally you push a big red button and the cannon fires towards your opponent.

Of course you're limited in both, cannon balls and gun powder. If you run out, you can just watch until you're destroyed by your opponent or until he ran out of gun powder or cannon balls as well. The amount of damage would then tell who won this round or it would simply be a draw and no one won.

This could be a cab with only one set of controls for alternate gameplay or with two sets so both players can play at the same time. This would be a hell of a race :)

ajhippel

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
I've always dreamed of a cab with Artillery Duel from the C64.

oh how i loved this game! played it with a friend a few months ago...it was a great fun!

btw: you gave me an idea: this game could be added to a wizard of wor savekit because the astrocade is the only hardware with bitmap graphics (supported by the CPU) and sounds (supported by the cpu) - on all the other pcbs, you have to swap gfx-roms as well...
there is too much butter on those trays

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
Great....so I only need to find a WoW-cab to butcher  ;D  ;)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
Great....so I only need to find a WoW-cab to butcher  ;D  ;)

hm. i think it would fit on the normal wow savekit. so no need to butcher one. :)