Author Topic: [cebulba's Roadtrip] Defender of the Crown (castles inside)  (Read 6378 times)

cebulba

• View Profile
[cebulba's Roadtrip] Defender of the Crown (castles inside)
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
Hello folks,

instead of downgrading my collection (well not really but currently more active in the marketplace section) it was time for another roadtrip. This time I didn't forget my camera (well not really but in some places that's were wiki comes in) so stay tuned for another roadtrip.

This time no map (the new google maps sucks) just take northwest Germany and the lower southwest near France and you have it.
Map: http://www.falk.de/routenplaner/?u=3D592S

After staying up early Saturday in the morning with a short coffee to go my Opel Vectra is back on it's route - with about no traffic at all in the first hours. I love this car (so do Superully) because of its large luggage space in the back (or should we say arcade space?).
BTW: It's currently on sale if someone is interested  ;D

So...the A1 down it will be. Before reaching the 1st medieval town/city I realized I passed a place I haven't been for more than 10 years:

What is this? A large Neo Geo Turf Master Advertisment?
A hidden NSA white spot on the map?
Well - no. It's one of a few satellite communication centres for military purpose in Germany. I served my military duty there for german navy during the bosnian war.
More I cannot tell (restricted - f.y.e.o.) - hence otherwise I would need to kill the whole forum members then  8)

The city of Euskirchen ist also very famous for one of the "Soda" Bridges standing every there and all over the place. Whats a Soda Brigde? something tasty to drink? A new Dr Pepper limited edition?
No. Sadly No. Take a look at this:

(By Ketti2606 (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons)
The government started to build a new autobahn but didn't count on a nearby farmer who thought this would be a stupid idea having a motorway in his backyard. He went to court and in the end won...and the council had to stop the buildings. Unfortunately the bridge was already there...and it's still there...and that's what makes it one of the "soda bridges" because it "stands so da" (i.e. stands there in the landscape with no use).
more pics over here: http://skyware.fam-engels.de/galerie/soda-euskirchen/

The bridge itself became famous again after notorious cologne "folk pop band" BAP used the bridge on their album/vinyl (check: http://www.ksta.de/region/rueckblick-bap-machte--so-da-bruecke--beruehmt,15189102,12518058.html. btw....carneval is in range...

anyway....back on the route and arriving in medieval Trier at 11:30....you know what's on the other side of this famous black portal (UNESCO world heritage)?

Yes! It's Tyrem's place/videogame shop/arcade basement heaven.
And this week full of additional arcade machines from USA. Take cover - these machines coming closer  :lol:

Unloading the nice Galaga88 for the collection and in the shop it goes.

If I only had space (in the car - not my house) to load one of the remaining cabs but I assume some Container friends wouldn't be amused ;-)
I dropped off a few more items - more on this later...and took at least this nice mug with me ("What do you want for transport?" Give me this mug and we're done)

Back on the road, time to reach the final destination for saturday: The lovely city of Saarbrücken near the border.
Whats next? another arcade machine going into the car?
No. Not this time  :o

for those who know me I don't collect (only) arcades - I'm a bit more into this retro-gaming hobby. My main interest is Commodore Amiga games. And that's why I came for.
A 10-year-knowing collector buddy/old friend  is going out of the hobby and we agreed on a a total for his awesome game collection. Took him years (so myself) to get the best games in perfect boxed condition.
And hence sun is the worst friend of vintage game boxes he stored everything in moving boxes and a shelf. Nicely decorated with our favorite game: Defender of the Crown:

Thats' 400+ games in total - here are some impressions:

After a lot of small talk and some coffee we went into the city for lunch. But before passed two nice locations.
X-Comics: One of the larger Comic stores in Germany

See: http://www.x-comics.de/ for more info (btw I would have loved to buy some of the stuff but with 400+ games pockets are damned empty for a few months).
and later...
Palace Saarbrücken:

(By user:Flicka (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC-BY-SA-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5-2.0-1.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)

We went to a famoud american diner/burger company from france who opened a franchise in Saarbrücken. It's called Arizona Diner.

More information: http://www.stadtmagazin.com/saarbruecken/arizona-diner-saarbruecken#1

After a nice double burger with fries and two shakes (chocolate ftw) we went home and decided against the band  :wink:
What I learned later from his other collection is that arcade machines are peanuts in money when it comes to vintage mountain bikes:

There are people willing to pay XXXX for frames, XXXX for breaks and more stuff...at least if they are from a famous company, made out of aluminium and have a typical neon colour.

Another day...back to work. After having some french bakery stuff (can't recall the name, was stuffed with some cream) we loaded the car:

In addition my friend gave me a nice present - as you suggested: Mugs  ;D

...and then back on the road towards north.

Another short break at medieval Trier:

I left some stuff besides the Galaga - which nicely found it's place in the basement by night  :pac:

Jochen - well known friend of Tyrem - needed to sign some games for me (which I brought from my home). And so he did:

No more pictures of the basement - there are dozens of over here:

On my way back I made another medieval stop over for coffee - at the lovely small town of Nordkirchen near Münster.

and arrived safely right in time for the blockbuster at home again.

With 2 days, 1100km roundtrip, 2 castles and 3 mugs this roadtrip is over. That's all folks.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:30:46 PM by cebulba »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: [cebulba's Roadtrip] Defender of the Crown (castles inside)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:42 PM »
GREAT, man! I love the pics and the text! Gooood work!  :spaceace:  :spaceace:  :spaceace:
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
Great report!

About the lot of A500 games...this reminds me the Atarimania story... and his car full of ...Atari games! You should see the picture, what a mess inside his car!  ;D
Huge fan of this Defender Of The Crown 'custom' decoration, nice idea! Awesome game (The one who make me bought an Amiga 500, with Marble Madness and ... Dragon's Lair of course  ;D)
Quite strange to see all these games boxed... back in the days we used to copy games (shame on us!)... we all had huge boxes with hundred -if not thousands- 3 1/2 floppy disks inside...
Congratulation for this acquisition!  :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
great report with some nice pictures and information! i had never heard of "soda bridges" before, definitely worth checking out one day.

congratulations on getting your friend's complete collection, must have cost you a fortune. man, i remember playing defender of the crown bitd, it was really easy to beat, but the graphics were so unbelievably good that it didn't matter!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:51:02 AM »
Very nice !, thanks for sharing  :spaceace:

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
Nice catch! Games seems to be in very good condition, with label variations  ;D (3 different Defender of the Crown?)

I love the shelves decoration  :-*

Bruno -> You're right, I made such a road trip for Atari ST games but my car was a mess compare with these nice boxes ;)

Franck
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Great collection men ;) Especially the collection of The Amiga games :o

it's always nice to see amiga fans :lol: