Author Topic: Japanese Namco P1/P2 button repro interest thread  (Read 12355 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Namco P1/P2 button repro interest thread
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »
WOW !  :o

What a result !

maybe its thinner, but you just saved a Original button !

Nice work man !

maybe you call it not perfect, but its way more than acceptable IMHO  :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
Micromesh... Uh, never heard of that before.
Does that means very very fine grain sandpaper (like 6000) and anti static fluid?
The result is top notch!

You don't know what Micro-Mesh is sir......mmmm,sounds like it's time to give your wife a present, some nice Mirco-Mesh:

Oh....oops sorry, but Google did come up with this....http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa0321s.html

OK I meant stuff from this factory:

https://micro-surface.com/

This is an online shop where you can get it but it's pretty expensive there....I also have a different (smaller) kit with less "steps".

http://www.craftsupplies.nl/250-micro-mesh

What's special about this. Well first of all the extremely fine grain steps but, the real trick is that it's not paper but some stuff that feels like vinyl. The stuff that "sands" stays in and moves "against" each other. You can use it lots and lots and lots of times. Preferably used whet. Unlike any other sandpaper you have to go STRAIGHT lines with the coarsest sheet first, then the next finer step you need to move it 90 degrees against the first movement and so on. Also remove the "waste" often and when you're nearing finishing one step, steadily reduce the force.

This gives an almost perfect result.

I bought this and used it for my MB plexi. It worked great to get the bad part out, but the drawback is, if you use it on a small part, you get a "window" around that area. So essentially you'd have to do the whole plexi with this stuff, but my kit is way too small for that.

I got my kit from a model shop in Schoonhoven, it was cheaper than that craft supplies shop. Can't find that website though...

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
Wow,  very nice result that you got there.  I also never heard of the stuff,  maybe it is useful for getting rid of cigarette burns on my moon crest cpo.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 11:44:25 PM »
Learned about Micro-Mesh from the KLOV (or maybe even BYOAC) forum.

Yep, that will work great, BUT as I said, you'll have to do the entire part to get an even result. There are larger sheets available and even one's you can put on a drill. These are normally used for airplane canopies and windows but also for plastic car headlights so I think they'll work on CPO's and plexi bezels too. (use the drill one's at LOW speed !!)

The model shop I bought my kit is here:

www.modelbrouwers.nl

They don't seem to have micro-mesh anymore but what looks like a (cheaper ?) alternative. I bet the Chinese have copied it....dunno, this may even be better, it has a Teflon backing that sticks.

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/winkel/schuren-en-polijsten/schuur-en-polijstsets/schuurfolie-7-x-20-cm-met-plakrug

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
Wait a minute, that stuff is WAY coarser than the Micro Mesh so that is completely different stuff !!!

My grains are:

12000 (!)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
Wow people, this looks even better !!!

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/winkel/schuren-en-polijsten/schuur-en-polijstsets/schuurfolie-ultrafijn-tot-grit-60-000-10-x-10-cm

Up to 60000 grid !!!!

Says you can polish glass with it.....now THAT is what I need to get some scratches out of my Gravitar bezel....although I wonder what it will do to the coating.

Note that these sheets are 10x20 cm.

The kit I got the "sheets" are only 5x15 xm. or so.

10x20 sounds like you could actually use it on CPO's and bezels....

Think I'll drive by that shop again :)

Factory link: http://www.alphaabrasives.com

Not from China, from Canada, although lots of Chinese Canadians there ;)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »
Very nice, i'm looking forward to the whole restoration of the cab, when it comes to art this is definitely in my top 3

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
Thanks for the explanations!
Sounds like I really could use that on a lot of parts.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 04:29:23 AM »

Sir, what happened to the reproduction plans?

I am a solidworks engineer and can make part that can be feeded in every CNC-machine or 3D-printer but I need all measurements.....
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »
Well that is totally brilliant because Blanka temporarily has the best of the two buttons as he promissed to do the measurements and putting it in a 3D drawing, like he has done so brilliantly with the hand-held games for his upcoming book !

With that info you could do the next step :):)

I wonder what would be the best/possible process for these. The originals were cast or injection molded I guess. Are you saying you can make a mold for this ? I asked at a 3D printing shop and they said it couldn't be done in that quality but maybe they only refered to hobby type printers ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:11:01 AM by Level42 »

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
I think I replied to this thread on one of these forums, but I'd be in for 2 pairs.

The start buttons on my Galaga, the clear portion of the buttons are two pieces; the top is a clear cap (which appears to be what you sanded/polished/restored), with the text/screened portion underneath on the main body.  I assume so, but is your Galaxian button the same construction?  The "cap" is missing on my 2P start button..I'll add pics later to more clearly express what I mean  ;D

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »

It is correct, we also was´nt very satisfied with the accuracy but if you sand the pieces and polish them it will be great, also the way they print it is important.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »

As soon as I have the Galaxian in my house I will remove one button and make a Solidworks Model.....