Author Topic: Sinistar Lives - sort of  (Read 8410 times)

Bomjac

• View Profile
Sinistar Lives - sort of
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »
Finally I got the time to fight my way into the garage today to have a first look at the Sinistar project I got from Love.  There was a nice little surprise underneath the Bezel - the original CPO in absolute mint condition.  Fortunately whoever converted it had used the original Bezel and applied the new Super Basketball to the reverse side.  This came off without any problems.  Artwork on the side looks good - paper based conversion overlay which will come off without any problems either.  

Downside is that they peeled the Sinistar CPO overlay to apply the new one, so quartercade will be supplying me with a new one as soon as he gets back with pricing.  The cab quite simply is in too good a condition externally to use anything else.

One final surprise was the tube inside - a WG chassis running a 19VLTP22tube (albeit with severe Super Basketball burn).  Will provide some pics later, just as soon as I get the Joust cocktail out of the garage and into it's rightful place in the living room today.  Going by the burn on the tube it existed as Super Basketball for most of its life.  Also has some slight monitor issues lol - see the vid below.  Hyper Sports was the first Konami pcb that came to hand.

Started tonight by cleaning the sides of the cab.  The Super Basketball stickers were a glossy paper stuck to the sides.  Removed these with a little steam cleaner and wooden spatula.  Glue residue and general cleaning of the cab sides was courtesy of the old favorite cleansing agent - 1-propanol.  This will be getting used to clean up the CP also tomorrow.

The pictures really do not do the cab justice as to the overall condition of the paintwork.  Screen burn and dodgy picture aside, the only thing wrong with the cab is a little water damage / spreading at the front cab base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2yaXZPxB4&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:11:10 AM by Bomjac »

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Sinistar Lives - sort of
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:29:54 AM »
wow, good job!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
Say NO to vertical videos .  Damn, i hate smartphones ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
It's not the fault of the smartphone ! Simply turning it 90 degrees will solve any vertical videos.....

Aside from that, that is awesome ! It's funny that in this way the original artwork has actually been protected over a lot of years :)
That must have felt really great to get off the old stuff and see back the original artwork !

Check the power supply and connectors, they are famous for burning/ bad contact.

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »
looks in pretty good shape, nice :spaceace: :spaceace:

and VVS is curable indeed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA  ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
you are not shooting it right dummy
  ;D

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
i saw this cab in Bitburg. Holy cow... I did not imagine it having the original artwork on it in such a good shape! Congratulations man!
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
It's not the fault of the smartphone ! Simply turning it 90 degrees will solve any vertical videos.....

it IS the fault of the smartphone! people hold them in a vertical position and that's why they are shooting their videos that way. i see it at school every day and it's driving me MAD!!!

SAY NO TO VERTICAL VIDEOS

apart from that, fabulous find with your cab! i love the artwork of sinistar
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
it IS the fault of the smartphone! people hold them in a vertical position

in essence its the user who operates the device, so the user is doing it wrong.

however, to prevent this from happening, the firmware of the Phone could use a update that displays the image sideways when holdening the Phone incorrect while shooting video iyam.

in that way people will automatically rotate the Phone to the correct position.

now on topic, Nice catch Bombjac !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Who was that huge talent who converted a Sinistar to Super Basketball? :D
Looks really nice, that green mop is a very unique solution to clean a cab though. ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
So....if I turn a glass 90 degrees it is the fault of the glass that my beer will run out of it ?

Hmmm, interesting way of thinking......

People are just too lazy/stupid (sorry Bomjac, not you of course ;) ;D) to turn their phone 90 degrees....

Etienne, AFAIK every smartphone does that automatically (unless you fiddle with settings maybe). At least iOS devices do, but even my crappy Sony XPERIA that runs a crappy old version of Android does it !

OK, back on topic. Awesome and rare machine in Europe ! I never played it enough to get the hang of it I guess though...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
well, my Phone is not old, and its standard android without any settings changed, and when i turn on the camera, is is like i look straight through it in whatever position i rotate the cam.

i mean by that , that it should be able to detect that the Phone is in the vertical position when in filming mode and then display the image sideways
rotating then , it should keep the image like that, so when you see the picture in the correct position, your camera is in the horizontal position.

get it ?

Anyway, Vectical video's suck !  ;D

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:38:17 PM »
Gents, vertical video is awesome. As is a vertical photograph. Cinema and TV are not the main displays in use anymore. Most screens are smart phones and tablets. You can actually turn them as much as you want. I actually dont understand why youtube is not starting to implement vertical as an option Though I guess they actually are working on it.

Paradigm drift at its best!
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

Bomjac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Well, I figured that you guys had no interest in seeing the rest of my kitchen wall, so I took the pics in whatever orientation filled the screen.  Maybe the shots of it lying on its side would have been better taken from the side rather than head on / above, buts scuh is life.  Next time I will keep the image police in mind before submitting.

And also remember that had Xerox been the ones to revolutionise the world with their GUI rather than Apple / Microsoft / IBM then you would have been looking at a vertical orientated A4 sized screen for most of the early years.

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
Xerox Alto 1976 yeah!
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!