Author Topic: Need a couple of pointers - Ultracade 20th Anniv cab issues SL/SA/DL2  (Read 7889 times)

Kavarin

• View Profile
I was given a UC 20th anniv cabinet with the Jamma kit and (what I believe to be) a saicom mini computer inside.

It has a couple of issues that I need help with finding the right direction please

1)  The monitor rolls uncontrollably and I cannot get it to stop despite tweaking the pots on the chassis and flyback, so I am simply going to replace the built-in monitor with a 19" LCD.  Am I correct in assuming I can then run the VGA cable straight to that monitor from the controller PC ?

2)  The PC itself will NOT turn on when the cabinet is powered up.  I have to open the back, reach in and hit the power button on the front of the PC. I actually have to do this about 5 or 6 times, completely killing all power and turning back on before the button will fire up the computer.  I really have NO CLUE what this may be and wondering if I should simply replace the computer (if that is possible)

I am not a pro at this, so I will gladly accept all advice.  I have pics of the PC and JAMMA board here but it looks to be a standard kit that I have seen around the forum.  If someone know where to obtain a replacement, I am all ears !!

I HAVE all the installation discs and codes to go with them.. so I am willing to do a reload/reinstall, but again.. need direction. 

Thanks in advance

-Kav

brian

• View Profile
Re: Need a couple of pointers - Ultracade 20th Anniv cab issues SL/SA/DL2
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »
For issue #2 check the voltage and amperage that is going into the power supply. Most modern power supplies will prevent a PC from coming on if voltages/amperage is not in a specific range.

I do not have one of those but am a PC tech. I can't guarantee that is the solution but is one of the first things I would check.

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
Things to do, in this order:

- replace the BIOS battery of the PC with a new one.
- attach an external PC monitor to the PC, enter the BIOS and reset it. Select the autopower on feature in case of AC fail. Select to halt on no errors, like keyboard not attached and so on.
- once you get the PC to boot correctly out of BIOS without any errors reconnect it to the original monitor and I bet also 1) will be fixed at this point. The continuous rolling is caused by the 31 kHz freq. of the PC not supported by the low res arcade monitor when in BIOS mode.

Matteo

Kavarin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:29 AM »
Things to do, in this order:

- replace the BIOS battery of the PC with a new one.
- attach an external PC monitor to the PC, enter the BIOS and reset it. Select the autopower on feature in case of AC fail. Select to halt on no errors, like keyboard not attached and so on.
- once you get the PC to boot correctly out of BIOS without any errors reconnect it to the original monitor and I bet also 1) will be fixed at this point. The continuous rolling is caused by the 31 kHz freq. of the PC not supported by the low res arcade monitor when in BIOS mode.

Matteo

Nailed it !!  The CMOS battery solved evereything, but I cannot locate the particular setting of having it power on automatically and I am still having to reach back and open the cabinet to power it on.  No doubt i just missed a setting.  Do you know what menu that is in under the Phoenix BIOS?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »
something like restore after powerloss