Author Topic: Houston Arcade Expo!  (Read 6042 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
Houston Arcade Expo!
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
After finding out about this...  We went for sure!

http://www.arcadecenter.com/default.asp

First thing we saw upon arriving at the hotel:

Great Gathering... lots of classics to play!

Atari Age was there, introducing some amazing games.. I'm getting them for sure!

Space Rocks: This is the game Atari wished they could have produced back in the day... It was incredibly fun!

I met the creator of the game there, He said the game has an extra ARM chip which makes the game incredible, which was also made the game impossible to exist in 1982.   I definitely let him know I was impressed!  Great Work!!!!! 

Darn, Don't you hate it when you find out something too late?  Well I found out that the creator of my Terminator 2 Pinball Machine was there and he was signing Translites, including his latest pinball, Metallica.  FUUUUUUUUUUUU!  there was no way I could make it home in time to get mine, as he was only there for an hour... So I got a picture with him instead... I would have loved to had him sign my T2.  Maybe he will be there next year.

Look at these mini games!!  Cool!

LOL, an arcade cabinet on a diet? 

Play the Star Fire Video Game, Beat the machine and see the next clue!   (if you don't know what this is from, you are banned from DLF for a week, LOL  ;D  )

More Atari Age, Great console setups!

Halo 2600!!!!

Wow, The vendors that were there....  Complete Williams/Bally Midway repro board replacements!  Complete bulletproofing for your pinball.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was lucky to do this:   There was a vendor from Pinball Classics who created a special RAM chip for your pinball, NO MORE DAMN STUPID LEAKY BATTERIES!   Horrrrrrraaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!   ;D ;D ;D    I hired him to come out on Monday night before he had to leave town to go back to Ohio.   Yes! he was able to come to my house and install this RAM chip on my T2!  (sorry, no pix... he was in and out fast)   Now, my settings and scores are saved forever and no more worrying about batteries.   I definitely said Thank You!!

Some chips had to be removed and the new on soldered on... I wanted this done by a professional, and the creator of the chip!   8)

More Info Here:    http://www.lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm

We also discovered a great mod for your pinball:    COLOR DMD !   

This company has recreated the dot matrix display to now be in color with beautiful fluid animation!  You have to see it to believe it.   I hope they do T2 soon!   Look Here:

http://www.colordmd.com/

LED upgrades for Pinball....  It was unbelievable!  Old Pins I've played before look like I've never seen them before!  I bought me a set for my T2.   I can't wait to see how it looks!   This is highly recommended, Besides looking amazing with eye popping color, it takes the strain off the power supply boards... LED draws practically nothing in power.

Look again at Whirlwind:    Look how bright and colorful it is!

No pix, sorry.... but there is now a company that is completely recreating ALL pinball playfields, Translites, and Backglass art...  So, If you have an original backglass art that is flaking, you are in luck! 

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/

Well, This was a great time, Picked up a few Sonic The Hedgehog goodies there too!   ;) 

Looking forward to going again!   

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Houston Arcade Expo!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
Great report, thanks for that. it's funny to see the Commodore 1702 is the "de-facto" standard monitor for Atari(Age) :) I own one myself for my Atari's too :) they are actually Toshiba's and last for ages ;)

It also show Atari was pretty stupid not to sell their own monitor in the 8 bits days......

Can't agree on the LED lighting for pinballs though. IMHO they turn any pinball into a fridge.
They look so damn cold and they light up and go out immediately while bulbs glow warm and fade in and out.
I would never do it, then again I don't own any pins anymore :)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:09:07 PM by Level42 »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
Great report Berry! :spaceace:
I can see the Lord visited the expo as well ;) :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
Wow, that's a great report,Barry! Many thanks for the ride!
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
Arf, too bad you missed the opportunity to bring a T2 part for Steve Ritchie to sign... maybe next year?
Love the HALO version for the 2600  ;D Is there anything else than a presentation screen by the way?
Oh, and the STARFIRE cockcit pictured... it reminds me I've to start the work on mine  ::)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »

Love the HALO version for the 2600  ;D Is there anything else than a presentation screen by the way?

Yes, it's a full game, I played it @Mr.Atari/Sijmen's place recently.

http://blip.tv/lazygamereviews/halo-2600-atari-2600-vcs-game-review-4721464