Author Topic: Chuck E. Cheese Opening 1983  (Read 5788 times)

Vond

• View Profile
Chuck E. Cheese Opening 1983
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:57:08 AM »
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I could not find it anywhere so here goes:

Check out this video of a opening of Chuck E. Cheese establishment in 1983. It gets interesting after around 2 minutes
when it shows a walkaround of the arcade area. Brand new cabs waiting to be played, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKS2xJcx8G8

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck E. Cheese Opening 1983
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »
Awesome !

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
What took place here:

Somebody was very lucky to be able to have a Video Recorder back in 1983... May have even been one of those split systems too (camera in hand, VCR with shoulder strap)    He was just trying out the new equipment at work....   he never knew he was making a wonderful video time capsule!  :D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
Wow, this is so cool. like stepping back in time. thanks for sharing.  ;D

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:51 AM »
Wait a minute! I thought it was a video of Bruno's 3rd lair. ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
The giant animated animals still creep me out ;)
Very cool video, you can even hear the call of Qix (amongst others).

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
The giant animated animals still creep me out ;)
Very cool video, you can even hear the call of Qix (amongst others).

Ah, Qix.  :D  Still not working (completely) in my gameroom. Will be one of the upcoming repair projects. The sound of this game is awesome, yet frightning.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
It's the only video game my girlfriend enjoys and the only reason why my mame cab was temporarily allowed in our hallway  ;)
Love that game and you're right the sounds are awesome, they even have a "Juno First-esque" feel, don't you think?

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
.....And... The countdown from Pole Position!    :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
What took place here:

Somebody was very lucky to be able to have a Video Recorder back in 1983... May have even been one of those split systems too (camera in hand, VCR with shoulder strap)    He was just trying out the new equipment at work....   he never knew he was making a wonderful video time capsule!  :D
Yep, you had to be pretty rich, or willing to spare money for two holidays for a set BITD. My uncle had a set, he was drawing lots of attention from everyone. I filmed with it, the weight of both the camera and recorder on your shoulder band was insane.

But hey, it was top-technology of those days :)

The first integrated camcorder was from Sony, the Betacam, released in 1983, so it's possible but not that likely that he used this.

I love the way that the bright lights leave behind a "streak" on the screen when the camera moves. We never noticed that BITD.
Today, it totally draws my attention, simply because we are not used to seeing that anymore. However, BITD even studio cameras showed that "problem", simply because they all used picture CRTs which inherently had this "defect". It's very much like the great traces that the phosphor leaves after the Asteroids bullets and ship :) They tried to "hide" that problem with bucket loads of lighting, but if they used spotlights pointed towards the camera you would still see it :)

It gives such a warm and analogue feeling these days ;)

Great video Vond, I'd seen it before but great to see it again :)

I wonder why the concept of such restaurants never crossed the atlantic to us. I mean, McDonalds was successful, why wouldn't this have worked ? The smart thing Nolan did was get the games out of the seedy arcades and put them in a child-friendly/family surrounding. OK the food was lousy (from what I've read) but kids don't care about that (much)....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
Also note that almost all games show a fine picture on this recording,(I mean no lines/tears) thanks to the 60Hz timing of the NTSC camera :) This meant the pictures were drawn in the same tempo as the set recorded it.