Author Topic: The Cavemans Retro Experience  (Read 20722 times)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
The Cavemans Retro Experience
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
So ... a wonderful weekend has passed. Been there, seen it and all I got left are these lousy fotos ;)

First a few impressions of the beautiful gameroom. I need that lightning stuff for our hall. Cant be that expensive. One kidney or one side of the lung schould be sufficient to buy this. :)

Perfect lineup ... many classics and some newer racers, schooters and sitdown monsters.

Jesus ... better get a step. Does this guy see, what he's aiming at??

Mrs. Caveman proofing the concept of After Burner totally sucking in the upright version but kicking ass as a sitdown! Bad thing: now I need one of these.

This kid needs anger management. Killing people is no solution, buddy. Other kids can be monsters but just lay down that gun ... we will sort this out.

Quietness before the storm. Btw: the candy area rocked too!! I whish I could have a turn on one of those cabs but the line behind them was too long.

Here is where the magic happened.

The cinema ... where we saw one of the worst documentaries ever made. "The Video Craze". What did they think when they burned all hat money?? Here ist the story: Interview some collectors that say things like "It brings back all the good memories", "Can't live without my cabs anymore" or "It brings back all the good memories and I couldn't live without cabs anymore". Randomly throw in absolutely not funny and senseless clips of a pacman costumed guy and repeat the procedure for 90 minutes. WTF??

The cinema was breathtaking though.

Here come the visitors ...

Boom Box.

Some impressions of the beautiful building. The designers must have been high and having a blast, throwing all that colors around. ;)

Nice handheld collection! Bela told me that these devices can last two weeks straight in attract mode! Now thats something that smartphone designers can learn of.

The gang is checking the area.

Aaaaahhh. It's on.

There will some serious button smashing going on! Luigi and Cpt. Kirk brought this party monster all the way up to this years event.

It's getting hot in the gameroom. 

Damn. Kate was so hot back in the days ... they better had tossed in a coin and pressed the start button before taking he pic though. Tip: Don't watch todays fotos of that chick. Ruins every wet dream you had in the past. ;)

Quick impression of the consoles area. That batman kid seems to have a decent strategy on that game. Must be one of the twin galaxies record holders.

Best place is at the bar ... as always.

Hammer those buttons.

Nice red tent ... love this table.

Next pic includes a funny story. The guy on the right is Steven Saunders. Don't know why but I totally mixed up that dudes name with Steve Sanders. Boy ... it sucked so hard as I saw that tattooed fellow instead of one of the founders of video game history. No more beers before lunch next time.

More cabs ... my wishlist getting longer.

The nice people of the museum in funny uniforms. Another WTF but a funny one this time. ;)

Beer. Everybody likes it.

Mrs. Caveman killing bad dudes. I love girls with guns.

The museum ... VERY nice exibition.

Mrs. Caveman approves Beld en Geluid.

Happy Pandy also does ...

The winners shot! Congrats Bela. I didn't compete because I have no use for an arcade stick ;)

As always it was a wonderfiul event. Nice people, cool cabs ... just refer to the other years threads for more compliments and stuff ;) I am always happy and kind of proud to be part of this!! Thanx guys for making this possible.

*fill in end credits with a big thank you to the crew and ALL names of all people I met here*

PS: Only things that sucked big time: Me completely missing the saturday night party because my "short nap before the action starts" took about ten hours AND no Missle Command. :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cavemans Retro Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
Cool report, comments and pics, buddy! Always nice to see you again.  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

The only thing I don't agree on with you is when you wrote that The Video Craze is "one of the worst documentaries ever made".
I think it's officially THE worst documentary ever made, despite the fact that it's edited with a shovel, it made me feel really embarrassed so many times because it's just so... lame.
Idea: We have to hide this ASAP from non-collectors so let's groupbuy all the copies and bury them in the desert with them E.T. atari cartridges, please.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:07:03 PM by chrischris »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
PRC, your sense of humor is only matched by that of ChrisChris, you guys always know how to make me laugh when writing here :)

Great pics and report thanks.

About the Video Craze. Sorry guys.....I had honestly not seen it before, I handed in the DVD still in shrink-wrap to the guy who was going "to do the rest" at Beeld & Geluid.

I sincerely hope that the louzy picture quality (freezing, extremely low-res, sound issues) was all caused because he ripped the DVD to a hard drive. I have no clue WHY. Why not just put on the DVD ??

Apart from that, I can only agree with you guys....it totally torpedoed my expectations.

Dave asked me two times yesterday how the screening went and well......you know me guys, I went honest on him, because I believe in being honest and not smothering up to someone while thinking something  completely different.... he probably hates my guts now....

Maybe we, the collectors, are just not that interesting at all to make a doc about....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:56:52 AM by Level42 »

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Yeah. Good idea! Let's find out where those E.T modules are burried and throw these copies on top. Or let's make our own movie. I have a few brilliant ideas that may render the movie rated X but are much more interesting than that pice of .... art :D

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
So you finally mentioned our running 'missile command' gag  ;D  ;)

I really have no clue what was the intention of the documentary and I'm not sure what I expected. Of course I loved the 3 minutes that featured Steve Smith's former Journey-cab...the one they took on the tour. But the rest was..hm....absoluteley unnecessary the part about King Off II....I would have survived the weekend without seeing Billy Michell's face  ::)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
Sorry I put you through this guys, we'd hoped it was a nice addition for the Eurocade people..... :oops: :oops:

Should have previewed it....

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
I have a few brilliant ideas that may render the movie rated X but are much more interesting than that pice of .... art :D
Love and I also came up with nice ideas during the evening to spice it up... not sure I should share them now that I sobered up  ;D

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
Sorry I put you through this guys, we'd hoped it was a nice addition for the Eurocade people..... :oops: :oops:

Should have previewed it....

André, come on. Like I said (can't remember how many times), there is absoluteley NO REASON to apologize for all the things that you consider being an 'inconvenience'....showing this movie, queueing for playing games, etc. At least FOR ME it was a nice addition, getting more info about the story you showed me at FB ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Thanks my friend  :spaceace:

It is just that I was sitting there with "curled toes" as we say here....

Yeah the Journey part was interesting, at least it was building up to something and then -snap- we are at the next stuff going on....

Making a documentary is one of the most difficult things in movies I've heard. It's not just copy-pasting a lot of "home video stuff" to each other.

We could have had an epic movie about Love and his containers, about "the Ship", about weird cavemen in Germany that never come out of their holes while gathering B/W games, but it would have required a pro-team who would know what they were doing...investing a lot of time (and thus money) that can never be returned by a doc like that...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
Thanks for your report Punky !  :spaceace:

and yes, i expected also more of the video craze

i think the quality was due to the fact that this is (i think) NTSC and the beamer is PAL, to there was some scanlines in there which made the picture blurry

I have the full HD version here and that looks fine on the laptop

The overall doc was not extremely bad, but what i really hated was the pac breaks, they where supposed to be funny i guess ??

it was not funny to me, and it only annoyed me.

Behle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
Nice foto-collage and good comments ;-)

PS: no Missle Command. :)

i missed the  Video Pinball....scnr....*gg*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:35:20 PM by Behle »

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
Was a pleasure to meet you Mr and Mrs Caveman (sorry, I suck at names)

great report :spaceace:

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
It was great meeting you! You're a great guy! And we will definitely keep in contact about your project in Oldenburg! If you need help with anything regarding that, don't hesitate to contact me or Xentraz.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
Great report Jörg. And yes, what a bad documentary. You guys said it all.

I was so fortunate to be on the last row, so I could sneek out after 25 minutes, but Marjan was almost on the first row, with some good no-arcade-related friends of us, who I convinced to stay and watch this ´great documentary about us, the collectors´, instead of going to their planned dinner. Marjan of course couldn´t sneek away, but she wanted to, so she told me later.

Boy, how emberrassed I was, and I really apologized to my friends later and I said that this is not how it is. But I am now sure that they think that I ám this crazy videogame nerd.  :shock: Shit, thanks Dave, for this worthless experience.  :'(

Anyway, new learning point, check out the stuff before showing it to other people.  :)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing and also for the Ms. to help me exhibit the handhelds. ;)