Author Topic: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?  (Read 119886 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
OK guys, just was suggesting something that feels to me make the kit a lot more interesting.

It's 2015....who wants spiders of cat.5 cables around his gameroom ? Lots of hassle when moving cabs etc. etc.

Talk about easy :)

How hard is it to connect to a Wifi network ? It takes selecting one that was scanned by your phone or tablet or computer and then entering a password.
As far as I understand those modules can do this.
It IS easy, like entering hi score initials, just a bit longer and only needs to be done once.

Ethernet is 1995 :)

you need to configure this from the cab. and that´s not an easy thing to do. not only for the customer... you also have to code a propper interface for the actual arcade machine. not an easy task when you have limited resources. trust me... it is good to keep it simple and affordable. if you add 5 euros to the production costs the retail price will also rise. you do get a router for 10 to 15 euros and you could put it in the cab if you like.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Our savekit webshop is online now. :)

http://shop.arcadehighscores.com/

Feel free to drop Jochen and me a line if you want other games featured.
We are working on the Williams-stuff (Joust, Defender, Moon Patrol etc.) and on games like Star Wars, Galaga 88 and Dragon Spirit for example.

Credits to Jochen for the amazing work!
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
Yeah absolutely amazing what he did.....don't get me wrong from my Wifi stubbornness, these kits are totally brilliant :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
Oh one tip guys....make a very clear button or whatever hyperlink to the highscore website from the shop's site (and vice versa) :)

I just received the ethernet to Wifi bridge from the far east and amazingly it worked right away !

It is insanely simple to set up:
- Plug it in on any USB charger (no need to connect the Ethernet yet)
- get out your iPhone, iPad or whatever device that can connect to Wifi and use a browser (I used my iPad)
- connected to the bridge's Wifi network
- browsed to it’s configuration “website” page
- logged in
- selected my home’s Wifi name from the list of Wifi networks it found and turned off the repeater mode (it can also act as a Wifi Repeater but I don’t need/want that in this situation)
- save the settings
- removed the USB power
- plugged it into the ethernet connection of the Asteroids kit, and applied power using USB charger (temporary, I will connect it to the game’s 5V later)
- started up game……it finds DHCP OK and worked !

Wouldn’t have thought it was this easy ! LOL  :)

So I guess I have a World-Premiere now by having the world's first Wifi equipped Asteroids :D

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
 >:( I wanna test it too.... But centi is still not happy....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Woohoo, the first Wifi uploaded high scores are there:

http://arcadehighscores.com/andre

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
Woohoo, the first Wifi uploaded high scores are there:

http://arcadehighscores.com/andre

is this cool or is this cool? ;) good work, mate!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
It is !!!

.....but there are some issues.....like there are better hi scores on my kit's table, but they don't get synced to the webpage.
It looks like the scores are only uploaded to the webpage just after you entered your initials....

That is a bit of a problem since it is very possible that you can be off-line sometimes when you score your best....like the provider dropped it's service for a while, or your cable/ADSL modem crashed or....like in my case, you simply removed the Ethernet cable for a while....

There should be some syncing after reconnecting IMHO, but I already e-mailed Jochen about this.

In fact, I'm Jochen's worst nightmare at the moment, bombarding him with ideas for improvements.....of course I do not limit myself with any technological knowledge about the kit, so I just dream away with things I think would be useful or.......just fun :D

Oh and.....there should be no financial reason for not changing the Ethernet module for a Wifi one....in fact.....it would be cheaper, a lot cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-Serial-WIFI-Wireless-Transceiver-Module-DIY-Send-Receive-LWIP-AP-STA-A-/301761350680?hash=item464260cc18

2 bucks, including shipping......da fuck !

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »
You can't just put a wifi module on it to work. You'll need code to access the wifi network.

The Ethernet solution is plug and play

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
You can't just put a wifi module on it to work. You'll need code to access the wifi network.

The Ethernet solution is plug and play
Yes I know.

With a few AT commands (which I assume the kit can perform, it "talks" to the Ethernet module now too !) you can fetch a list of available Wifi networks and this info could be displayed on the screen. You simply select your Wifi network from the list. Then the biggest challenge is that you will have to enter your Wifi's password but that is not a lot different from setting the Public and Private keys as it is now on the menu (so actually, it's not Plug & Play now either ! :D).

The only difference is that a larger range of characters is needed (full alfabet lower and upper case f.i.).

But I'm probably beating a dead horse :D And for those who want wifi, the 16 euro solution I went with is easy-peasy and works flawlessly....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:44:13 PM by Level42 »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
Hey guys!

John from Johns Arcade featured our DK-savekit this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773KS526baw

Jochen and I are happy to tell you that we have permission to officially include D2K in a pro-Version of the kit very soon!

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2016, 05:45:59 PM »
Hmm, I saw that on one of his videos some time ago ( when he mentioned Tyrem and say thx for that kit ).

Edit:

just watched his episode, congrats guys for your awesome highscore kit!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:58:12 PM by Andreas_AUT »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
Great, congrats guys, very cool project.. Does this also work on the first dk version with the 4 boards?

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
Cool!!!!
He already mentioned it in an earlier show too, but this is way better: a full episode about THE DK kit!

ajhippel

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
Great, congrats guys, very cool project.. Does this also work on the first dk version with the 4 boards?

Yes it works w/ all original boards (and all _known_ bootlegs as well btw)
there is too much butter on those trays