Author Topic: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?  (Read 119818 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
We had an idea over here and I wanted to ask you guys what you think about it.

A few weeks back Bruno asked the Board about the high score-tables for game rooms. I sat down with my buddy Jochen Hippel (told him to get an account here but he still did not manage to do so :D ) and we came up with another idea. We think it is quite a cool one but we want to know what you guys think before we are starting with the production of a prototype.

So... this is what we have in mind: We would like to produce a save kit that is not only able to save highscores on your machine but also send this score to a website that saves and compares the scores. You would have a highscore table that compares your scores with your friends and with virtually everybody who owns such a kit. On the net it is not limited to 3 or 5 scores. It would keep track of every score that comes in. A hughe table that you could access from anywhere via browser.

The cool thing is that you can plug your cab in your router.. and the save kit sends your scores to the table... with the dip switch setting in mind!

This would work with pretty much every 8bit-game... but since I am a big big fan of Galaga 88 I asked Jochen to think about a save kit for those machines as well and he came up with an idea for these games, too.

What do you think? Would you use something like that? After all it only makes sense if we can build up a little community that likes to share scores and compete against each other.

Would love to get feedback from you guys.

Greetings!
Stefan

Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Coul be nice. This means that the save kit uses some kind of internet protocol to get access. It would be a good feature if the kit works wireless and if you can access the kit also through a website, like in a wireless LAN. Or is this too complicated?

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
I don't understand completely. So this would be a generic savekit for several games? And how is it installed?  ???

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
Coul be nice. This means that the save kit uses some kind of internet protocol to get access. It would be a good feature if the kit works wireless and if you can access the kit also through a website, like in a wireless LAN. Or is this too complicated?

wireless is possible for sure. it is a question of the price. we will figure out how much this would be.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
I don't understand completely. So this would be a generic savekit for several games? And how is it installed?  ???

pretty much the same way the save kits are installed today. it simply has more features. we would keep it as easy as possible.
it gives you more features to compare and compete with your friends.

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
Sounds very COOL! :pac:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:55:58 AM by Love »
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
Sounds very COOL! :Pac:

I will set up my basement with this. But I do understand everybody who wants to keep the board original.
Let´s see how the protoype turns out. :)

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »
Sounds very interesting and I for one would really enjoy seeing the highscores of other players. And I have been looking for a highscore kit for my Pengo and Kungfu Master  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
Wait a minute, someone who is not capable of registering for a forum is going to build this ?

Sorry couldn't resist  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that it MUST be Wifi because I can't see myself (or many other people) hooking up LAN cables to all my cabs.

I am still dreaming of a 2 (or more) player game through the internet, but that would mean serious software modding at least, because how to "send over" the on-screen info ? The controls wouldn't be that hard....

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
Wait a minute, someone who is not capable of registering for a forum is going to build this ?

Sorry couldn't resist  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that it MUST be Wifi because I can't see myself (or many other people) hooking up LAN cables to all my cabs.

I am still dreaming of a 2 (or more) player game through the internet, but that would mean serious software modding at least, because how to "send over" the on-screen info ? The controls wouldn't be that hard....

oh he would be able to for sure. ;)
he seems to be fine with me posting as long as i have an active account. :)

i guess wifi would make it a bit more expenisve and i am not sure if there are any regulations regarding the antenna that we would have to meet. i guess not if we get one that is licenced. i have to check it out.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Sounds very interesting and I for one would really enjoy seeing the highscores of other players. And I have been looking for a highscore kit for my Pengo and Kungfu Master  ;D

should be possible to save those two games locally and globally.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »

A few weeks back Bruno asked the Board about the high score-tables for game rooms. I sat down with my buddy Jochen Hippel (told him to get an account here but he still did not manage to do so :D ) and we came up with another idea.

Great, some dutch hacker genius had the same idea, maybe you can ask him if you can use it and give him the credits he deserves, design and source are freely available  :)
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/27/adding-persistent-memory-and-ethernet-to-vintage-arcade-machines/

http://spritesmods.com/?art=twitter1943

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »

A few weeks back Bruno asked the Board about the high score-tables for game rooms. I sat down with my buddy Jochen Hippel (told him to get an account here but he still did not manage to do so :D ) and we came up with another idea.

Great, some dutch hacker genius had the same idea, maybe you can ask him if you can use it and give him the credits he deserves, design and source are freely available  :)
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/27/adding-persistent-memory-and-ethernet-to-vintage-arcade-machines/

http://spritesmods.com/?art=twitter1943

had not seen this till now... but we would definately want to do it on our own without using code from others. jochen is quite talented when it comes down to such things since he was producing games and music on atari st and amiga when he was at Thalion in the late 80s.

the possibility that somebody thought about this are quite high i guess since i love the idea a lot.

our goal is to come up with something out of the box for most of the people... including the high score table-page to compete against each other and to save and store all the scores. i kind of like the wireless idea as well.

i guess i will set up my arcade with this first for beta testing. if it turns out to be functional and cool we will see if there is a market.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
It is open source. All men have made is build upon or inspired by nature or the work off others so check it out  ;D Keep us posted on the architecture you guys come up with both radical new or in the line of this one.

Have fun

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
Love this idea, now everybody will be able to see what a bad player i am..  ;D

Seriously, i hope you can make this work, would be really cool!