Author Topic: Greetings Dragon's Lair Fans!  (Read 4141 times)

Svavar

• View Profile
Greetings Dragon's Lair Fans!
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:57 AM »
Hi everybody!

I just want to introduce myself a little bit. My name is Svavar, a 24 year old from Iceland. Since I can remember I have been into what you would call classic gaming, loving everything about it (of course depending on the game), the graphics, sound, gameplay, and more importantly something a bit more intangible... the feel of the game. I have two older brothers that kind of steered me into having appreciation for classic games, for which I can't be too grateful for since I wasn't even born when the NES first came out.

Most of my life I have stayed playing only NES games mainly out of prejudice against anything else seriously. The Mega Man series has always had a special place in my heart. I have been collecting consoles throughout the recent years that have intrigued me but never really played any of them with a lot of passion... I kind of feel like I'm cheating on a girlfriend when I play something besides NES (writing this thought out seems a lot more sad than I pictured it hahah). Growing up in Iceland I had never really been exposed to the glorious scene of arcade gaming. I think I can only remember seeing two arcade machines in Reykjavík... A Jurassic Park shooting game and Tekken, both of which I thought really sucked (I'm sorry if I'm offending someone)

How I came to be obsessed with arcade gaming is a very similar story to a lot of other people that weren't exposed to it in their daily environment. In 2007 I went to see The King of Kong in a small theater and it absolutely captivated me. I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome Funspot looked and how deeply people felt about these classic arcade titles. After seeing the movie I thought to myself: "Is this game really as difficult as they make it out to be... let's see about that."

I got MAME on my PC and started playing. After about 2 and a half months of playing I had reached a PB of ca. 290k and kind of gave up and started playing other arcade titles on MAME. Around that time I got another huge jump in my interest in arcade gaming when I saw Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade. I started to dream about being able to experience being in an arcade, and well it didn't happen in 2007 but it eventually did happen.

I got a Bachelors degree in physics early last year which led me to move to Copenhagen to continue my studies for a Masters degree. Little did I know that my time was not going to be used a lot for doing physics haha... Just out of curiosity I googled "Copenhagen arcade" and stumbled upon a website for a small arcade in Copenhagen called Chassis Arcade. My main thought was "F***ing A man!! And they have Donkey Kong machine... Holy f*** sh**"!". So I went to check it out and absolutely loved it. I started going there more and more often both because of a really awesome group of people that regularly go there and of course to do some serious gaming.

Since last August I have been playing Donkey Kong actively, slowly progressing my PB. Finally, something I use to joke about actually happened, on February 4 I got to level 22 in Donkey Kong a.k.a. the "kill screen" with 824,300 points. From there on I felt a strong urge to keep playing and up my score. I got two higher kill screens (both on the same day) with scores of 896,900 and 919,100. But at that point you kind of have to ask yourself: "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"...  So I started point pressing a bit more until I reached my goal of a million points on May 29th with a score of 1,008,800. I'm still trying to push for a higher score.

I'm on this forum because a friend of mine told me about it and Eurocade and suggested that I should check it out. This is a pretty awesome forum so signing up is obligatory :) . I'll be going to Eurocade next month with a group of regulars at Chassis Arcade and I'm freakin' excited about it!!

That's all. Peace out :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings Dragon's Lair Fans!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
Nice intro man !

Welcome here, and as a EC crew member, Cool to see we will have visitors from iceland  :spaceace:

See you then !

Enjoy your stay here  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:02:45 AM »
Great presentation, Svavar!

Welcome to this board   :)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »
Welcome Svavar!!!  :spaceace:

... and congratulations for your DK score  :o
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »
Welcome to the board!
Great intro to read! Impressive score!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Welcome Svavar! Im sure you will enjoy youre stay here :spaceace:

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Hi,

Welcome :)

I also got stuck around 300k at DK and gave up...... but in a few months I have my own DK cab, so maybe I can also climb to a higher score. Maybe you can give me some advice at the RGE :spaceace:

Greetings from Holland

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Good to have you here! You will like this place. :)

Greetings from Germany!
Stefan
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »
Welcome!

Wow, a million points on DK. That's world class, right there!