Author Topic: Paris, aaah Paris!  (Read 24770 times)

uncletom

• View Profile
Paris, aaah Paris!
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
So, I have been touring with my nervous cat around Europe, and now we have arrived in Paris. Yes, the city of many colors and even more smells.. But, because I am an avid arcade game life-styler I dont care about the smells. What I care about is ARCADES!

Now my fellow french allies; where are your arcades?
(Any information will be treated highly confidential)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Paris, aaah Paris!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
In Paris arcades are the arched sidewalks on the grande projects! Ditch your arcade fever for a few days and enjoy the most beautiful city in the world.
Do you now why Paris is so beautiful? Because of the smart way the building blocks are constructed. Most of central Paris has blocks that are made of one big entrance to a courtyard with left and right a space for commerce, and above it 6-7 stories with apartments. Guess what: it is the ideal mix of work and living: exactly the right amount of working space for the people that live above. This means: Paris works everywhere, the distance between work and living is nowhere as short as in Paris, and they can handle massive amounts of tourists without becoming touristy, as the working Parisian is always more visible than the tourist. Together with a big boom of cycling, and the great weather at the moment, it can't get better.

And RENT A BICYCLE! Cycling the roundabout at the Arc the Triomphe is more fun then the line of the Eiffel Tower.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Wow! Thank you Blanka. That is really interesting information (you work as a tourist guide?). My arcade fever has been quite cool for a while due to the fact that I have been racing my rented Nissan Q through all the various scenery Europe offers, just like GTI Club but in real-time. I figured that inbetween all the tourism and city browsing, including your profound system of living (we rent a small appartment here) maybe I could squeeze in something less amazing like some good old interactive digital art.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
We where on holidays 2 weeks ago in the south of france.

on the way back we stopped over night in Paris.

I defenetely recomend to go to the eiffel tower between 21:00 and 23:00.

Then you can see the sun go down and the lights lit up !

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
Do not miss the Neo Legend shop @ Paris! Check this out.

Say hi to them for me  ;)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
Thanks, Bruno. I will.

Thank you, Eti. It is very nice of you. However, it isn't my first time in Paris and, as strange as it may seem, I am not impressed by the eifel tower. If l want an overview of the city I would take a trip to Montparnasse and their '360 cafe' at the top. The Eiffel is just a dangerous piece of metal waiting to be recycled. Sorry, but that is the truth.

To give you an example of what I am doing here: walking around the Latin Quarters eating crepes, taking a tour with the tourist bus just to get a nap, sitting at the outside tables drinking beer watching beggars use their kids as bait, and taking the heat of the sun vaporizing my brain.

We've been on road through Berlin, Prague, Chrudim, Oswiecim (and their awesome human recycling plant), Vienna, Lichten..., Sweitz (and the current jazz festival), ... well you name it. So, I figured that once back in the seemingly civilized world I'd be able to get some sort of look at an arcade in business, if there still is such a thing left in the world today.

Does anybody know if there is an open arcade somewhere here in Paris?
(playstation & xbox doesn't count)

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »
What address is this shop at?

Ok, got it.
NEO LEGEND | 71 rue Crozatier 75012 Paris ...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:07:03 AM by uncletom »

Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
a new place in Paris 10  'Le nouveau Baron' in french :)  a 'ghost bar restaurant'  it looks pretty original

http://www.mylittleparis.com/restaurant-bar-fantome-paris-le-baron.html

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks, Hi. Now it seems we are progressing. I would look great on photo holding that Afterburner stick. Now I need to convince Camilla to take me there, she thinks she knows Paris well so this will be a challenge.

I also bet that people there speak english, I am always very stunned by how little english people know here in France. I wonder why... You know?

Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
Why ?

Some obscure reasons but first a poor education system especially in learning language ​​and an image of a certain idea of the "France" in the past. (there was a time when everyone had to speak French)

Otherwise we have lots of problem here, with the "French matter of thinking"   :arrow:  ( I am French (and I live in Paris area since 1999 ))

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Oh, and do not miss this huuuugege arcade (1500 square meters) : 'La tête dans les Nuages' (previously "SEGA WORLD)! We used to organize nice arcade meetings with the french board gamoover & all my arcade friends over there  :) All the details here : http://www.ltdn.com/en/
Back in the days, there was a ... Galaxian Theater over there, yes!
Oh, and If you go there, ask to speak to 'Bigjeje' if he's still there... he helped me to get some Galaxian Theater parts still left! Maybe some other 'items' still available?

Have fun!

Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
another one

Meltdown, 32, rue Albert-Thomas, Paris Xe.

it is the  1st bar in the capital dedicated to e-sports (competition of video-games) Ans the is also a bunker againt zombie ..  :spaceace:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:33:05 PM by Hi »

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
 ::) ;D  Blanka stop smoking pot.  let's talk of so many great 9.3. & 9.5. paradise places  ::)

this  le baron & the "dernier bar avant la fin"  sounds so good for "false" hyped nostalgic..hipsters  :-\.   yep   retrogaming is hype now & $$$ there :roll:

damn..no one mentioned THE arcade ?.. (yep but nearly 90% japanese influenced)   loads of fighting games, shmups,  dedicated Darius burst chronicles, etcc

http://www.arcadestreet.fr/log/?page_id=19

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:19:29 PM by caincan »

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
Wooooww !!! arcade scene rulez in france ...  :spaceace:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:34:37 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 11:57:34 PM »
 ;D yes, the french take good care of their good old stuff, a good example of this would be the Louvren. But damn the city is hot, and I do mean cooking. I need a shower every hour here.

Anyway, today I managed to haul Camilla to La Fantome. It is a nice place, bar, with aircon and a few cabs. At least three cocktails with Galaga, Donkey K..., also a NeoGeo inside an old Nintendo cab (Sherrif... something), a ms Pacman, upright Space Invaders (out of order) and ofcourse an upright but sadly somewhat invalidized Afterburner. I did play the Afterburner some, 1€ 2 credits, but the rumble pack/stick was loose inside the machine, so playing well was not possible. Oh, and they had a Sega Astro with SF Generations as well.

I see, thanks for your info, Hi. That old imperialism is visble everywhere here. You guys paint your roof tops in gold, and especially keeping that old tower alive and standing just shows you are a bunch of tough guys. I guess it was the french against the britts (but the battle is still on?). History is full of adventure. Althoug in sweden we focus more on the flowers and bees, occasionally some arcade games.

Thanks for the new suggestions guys! I will sure check out the old Sega World, and the Arcade Street looks awesome.

Now I am forced to drink some port wine and eat cheese that we bought in the shop around the corner.

(Caincain, you need more pot)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:59:20 PM by uncletom »