Author Topic: Sega Power Drift Pcb Audio and Video Problems...  (Read 22872 times)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Power Drift Pcb Audio and Video Problems...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Ok, i would suspect a PCB problem, audio circuit. If you hear noise from the speakers the amp should not be defective (even if those SEGA indeed ARE "thin").

5.20V are on the high side: turn the value down to 5.00V on the board.

Eventually, check for broken traces on the audio section of the board, "bad looking" components, bad connections, ground ...
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »
Ok, i would suspect a PCB problem, audio circuit. If you hear noise from the speakers the amp should not be defective (even if those SEGA indeed ARE "thin").

5.20V are on the high side: turn the value down to 5.00V on the board.

Eventually, check for broken traces on the audio section of the board, "bad looking" components, bad connections, ground ...
I'll do about the adjustment in the psu.
Visually speaking there's nothing wrong into the board.....
Yesterday i also tried to mount the yamaha chip, but nothing change....
Could be some sega customs??
Yesterday the new board has been shipped out.....
Shame the board if from a deluxe unit....
Could i mount it or i risk to damage it??

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »
Seems a pcb problem unfortunatly :s Hopefully it is "only" the sound. I've a unworking  power drift pcb (cpu board is defective), really need to investigate it some day...

btw i go to italy for summer vacation , Ficulle to be accurate :p

anyway gud luck in your pcb repair
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:33:48 AM by kroustibat »

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
Seems a pcb problem unfortunatly :s Hopefully it is "only" the sound. I've a unworking  power drift pcb (cpu board is defective), really need to investigate it some day...

btw i go to italy for summer vacation , Ficulle to be accurate :p
Yes...
Seems only the audio the problem (if you can call it "only"......)....
I'm trying to obtain a working upright board, but i can't find it..... :'(

Very good choice....
Umbria is really a beautiful place.....
Just like many parts of Italy...
Just like Rome....
But only for holidays....not for living....

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
actually, i've 2 power drift cab. One Euro like yours and one with Grey side (look like a usa/jap version).

the euro one is working (got it from level42, thanks again). I spend some time to swap boards, EPROM,... wihtout luck, the cpu board is dead

without diagram, your best bet is to trace from the audio ouput and verify all the chip and check the analog signal with a oscilloscope.

checking on gamoover a deluxe pcb , looks exactly the same than the upright. There's a small daughter board (sound), but this is the early version of the pcb, which got replaced by maskrom on the cpu board (i got 1 pcb like yours and 1 like this one)

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
actually, i've 2 power drift cab. One Euro like yours and one with Grey side (look like a usa/jap version).

the euro one is working (got it from level42, thanks again). I spend some time to swap boards, EPROM,... wihtout luck, the cpu board is dead

without diagram, your best bet is to trace from the audio ouput and verify all the chip and check the analog signal with a oscilloscope.

checking on gamoover a deluxe pcb , looks exactly the same than the upright. There's a small daughter board (sound), but this is the early version of the pcb, which got replaced by maskrom on the cpu board (i got 1 pcb like yours and 1 like this one)

Yes....
The board i'm waiting for i exactly the same you posted here....
From your experience, it could be possible to attach it directly into my upright or i could fry the board??
I can't understand if that deluxe pcb has different pinout than the uprights one???
And in case i cannot use it directly into the cab, could i swap the sound eeproms between upright board and deluxe board?
I understand that i need to use an oscilloscope, but that's for sure not a job for me.....
Maybe i can send the board to you.
:)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
From your experience, it could be possible to attach it directly into my upright or i could fry the board??

this is the board i had from my second upright, and the connection are exactly the same. If you look at the PD upright manual, you'd see that there dipswitches for setting the cab type (moving deluxe,upright,mini upright,mo use). So you're safe to plugin your deluxe pcb to your cab.

And in case i cannot use it directly into the cab, could i swap the sound eeproms between upright board and deluxe board?
you'll have to put the sound daughter board from your deluxe to your rev.2 defective board by removing the sound mask rom from the cpu board

Sorry, i already lack time to fix my own cabs & pcb, so i can not ( and i lack the skills). But if your deluxe pcb is working, if you ever sale your defective one , i'd interested
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:26:40 AM by kroustibat »

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »

this is the board i had from my second upright, and the connection are exactly the same. If you look at the PD upright manual, you'd see that there dipswitches for setting the cab type (moving deluxe,upright,mini upright,mo use). So you're safe to plugin your deluxe pcb to your cab.

you'll have to put the sound daughter board from your deluxe to rev.2 defective board.

Sorry, i already lack time to fix my own cabs & pcb, so i can not. But if your deluxe pcb is working, if you ever sale your defective one , i'd interested

Thank you for letting me know.
So i've to check when i receive the new board....

P.S.:What do you mwan by sway the daughter board??
Mine upright pcb already have sound roms into, so it's not only a roms swap??
I have to put all the daughter board completely?

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
i'm aware of 2 pcb revision.

rev1. : if you look closely to the deluxe pcb, you'd see a "3 level" with a small daugther board with 4 eproms. this is the sound eproms board.

rev2. : sega totaly remove that 3rd level "small daugther board" by merging those 4 eproms into 1 maskrom directly on the cpu board.

your best bet is really to wait for the new board
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:44:22 AM by kroustibat »

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
to whate i'm aware of there's 2 revision of the pcb.

rev1. : if you look closely to the deluxe pcb, you'd see a "3 level" with a small daugther board with 4 eproms. this is the sound eproms board.

rev2. : sega totaly remove that 3rd level "small daugther board" by merging those 4 eproms into 1 maskrom directly on the cpu board.
Ok so since i have a rev2 into my upright and a rev1 incoming, if i want to use rev1 sound roms i've to detach them from that board and insert them into the rev2, right?
No use for the daughter board into the rev2 pcb, right?

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Ok so since i have a rev2 into my upright and a rev1 incoming, if i want to use rev1 sound roms i've to detach them from that board and insert them into the rev2, right?
no, you've to detach the whole sound daughter board from rev1 , remove the maskrom from rev2 and plug the sound daughter board in your rev2 (the board plug in the maskrom socket)

the only use of doing that, would be to test if the maskrom on rev2. is bad or not. i did that test with my 2 pcbs ;)

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
no, you've to detach the whole sound daughter board from rev1 , remove the maskrom from rev2 and plug the sound daughter board in your rev2 (the board plug in the maskrom socket)

the only use of doing that, would be to test if the maskrom on rev2. is bad or not. i did that test with my 2 pcbs ;)
Thank you for all your information.....
Now i only have to wait for the new board to come........
I really hope to have finally the cab up and running soon....
:)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
Power Drift is a great underestimate game.
wish you get yours up and running.

btw do you have a scan of the sides ? :-)

glstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »

Yes.
I don't want to be blasphemous but i think that it's more fun than mine outrun deluxe....(apart from the moving machine of course)....
I spent alot of time restoring it and alot of money buying parts for it (a new monitor, new control panel, new sidearts ecc....).....
I only have the arts i applyed....
I don't know how to get some scan of them....
Some high res pictures of them could help?

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »

Yes.
I don't want to be blasphemous but i think that it's more fun than mine outrun deluxe....(apart from the moving machine of course)....
I spent alot of time restoring it and alot of money buying parts for it (a new monitor, new control panel, new sidearts ecc....).....
I only have the arts i applyed....
I don't know how to get some scan of them....
Some high res pictures of them could help?

for scanning, you'd need a special flat bed scanner, but already an hi res scan would be enought thanks !
you got your parts from ebay ?