Author Topic: my biggest project yet.... a gameroom  (Read 97880 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: my biggest project yet.... a gameroom
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »
Let us Dutchies handle the water guys, maybe we could help out along some German rivers ?? ;);)

I seriously considered doing something like that over here in my backyard. I wanted to get a pre-fab "cellar". These are surprisingly affordable. However, I'd even have more water problems I guess being in the far west of Holland. It would have meant making a dam and the same pumping (24h. during the building process)

I also would have needed "piles"/poles to keep it from sinking in the soft ground AND needed the "extra heavy top" to prevent it from staring to float on the groundwater. And seeing I have so little room anyway plus I couldn't think of a proper way to get the cabs in and out on such a small area I had to ditch the plan....

in more eastern parts of Holland, where there is sand grounds, you just need to dig a hole, but the pre-fab cellar in it and cover it......sigh.....

tHe biggest advantage is that I would have a room as large as my entire backyard, which would have been awesome..... O well....

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
Can I give an opinion on this.... even though you already started.

We (ie me) cannot have basements here in southeast Texas, The water table is just way to close, start digging and you got water.  It looks to me that you have the same environment there,  Why do this?  Am I not understanding your idea?  Not being negative, just looking out for you.  If I lived in a desert environment... for sure id' have a basement!    To me, it looks like it might be a maintenance nightmare?

If you have the same close water table:

You will have/could have damp walls
You will REQUIRE an always on dehumidifier that will pump out the water.
You will need emergency sump pumps on hand and a portable generator (what if you have freak storm with heavy rain and power goes out?)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
all he need then is scuba gear  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Uh.....AFAIK they make these things watertight....

http://youtu.be/nxX5slS5ceg

...then again, I don't know if Leo is using a prefab cellar....

Ventilation is very important though to prevent condensation.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:01:52 PM by Level42 »

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
My inlaws have a basement which is partly below ground water level. It's built using prefab concrete elements and it's as good as completely watertight. In a corner of the basement garage is a sump pump in case of heavy rainfall, but since the build of the house 10 years ago they never had any water in the basement. But hey, we're talking about the Dutch here, we all but invented building in wet circumstances  ;D

And freak storms with power outages only happen about once every 10 years or so, in the whole country  :)
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 01:05:05 AM »
Yeah, power almost never goes out here because all our cabling is in the ground instead of the ancient poles still used in the USA. Only the biggest transport lines are still up in the air here (although at some spots, even these go underground today)....well that's one advantage of soft ground...

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:59 AM »
Yeah, power almost never goes out here because all our cabling is in the ground instead of the ancient poles still used in the USA. Only the biggest transport lines are still up in the air here (although at some spots, even these go underground today)....well that's one advantage of soft ground...

When was the last time you were in North America?? All new housing developments for the last 3 decades had everything running underground (power, TV, telephone, and now fiber). Only old areas with 100+ year old homes have wire above ground.

As for power for sump pump, they do sell battery backups and are common items to install when your sewer lines in the house are below the mains under the street.

The most important thing to do when tackling major construction is to follow the codes and building styles of where you build. Things that work great in Texas might not apply in northern Finland! (Eg water heater outside, ducts running in the attic, etc)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
When was the last time you were in North America??

2011: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2767.0

The vast majority of what I've seen in New England is on poles. My uncle has a new house, specially built for them, but they connected him to the poles that were already in the area of course. My cousin has a 70s house near Boston and even his glass fiber connection is running along the poles.

There are plent of places in Europe where there are still poles too though, Im sure it's a very regional thing, again, because we have soft soil about everywhere in our country it's pretty easy (and not too expensive) to do it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:00:45 AM by Level42 »

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
You keep chatting... I keep digging..... ;D

and digging

and done digging.... a hole that's mancave worthy.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:59:20 PM by Laszo »

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
Gosh, That is a lot of work... The cost must be extreme... What are you going to do with all the dug out dirt?

Kinda looks like swimming pool construction so far...  ;D

Hope the weather holds up for you during this part of construction, or it will be like pumping OUT a swimming pool.

Do you have any sketches or picture ideas of what you are doing? 

Info Please!!!   :D  :D  :D  :D

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »
Gosh, That is a lot of work... The cost must be extreme... What are you going to do with all the dug out dirt?

Kinda looks like swimming pool construction so far...  ;D

Hope the weather holds up for you during this part of construction, or it will be like pumping OUT a swimming pool.

Do you have any sketches or picture ideas of what you are doing? 

Info Please!!!   :D  :D  :D  :D

Don,t worry Sonic, the dirt has been delivered at the city depot, it is clean white sand with a certificate stating it is clean so it can be reused and it is actually in demand.

Rain does not matter, I'm allready using pumps to keep groundwater out.... Otherwise there would be 6 feet of water in the pit..

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
I wonder which member of the local council you bribed to get a permit for this !!!

Oh, and I could have used a bag or two of that sand....got a hole in my pavement near my gameroom ;)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
Well, Everyone.... You have to admit this is the most unusual and interesting game room design so far...

I can't wait to see the building start!  ;D ;D ;D

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
Updates Please!!!   ;D

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
Updates Please!!!   ;D
Ok ok, some pictures from this very LEGAL  ;D venture.