Author Topic: Hail to Galaxian... by Namco!  (Read 138864 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Hail to Galaxian... by Namco!
« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »
@Michael: I would be just as happy with printed repro's my friend so I would have zero problems sending them back, they belong to your machine, I simply and honestly forgot you had the Bertolino Namco one :)

I scanned them in 2400dpi format, just need to stich them (anyone know a good OS X tool for that ?) and convert into a reasonable size.
I'd need to check some parts and values, in general,lines the Midway and Namco are the same, but I guess you mean there might be any differences between Europe produced PCBs  and Japanese one's.

@Marco: exactly....been very busy this weekend and with the heat I have very little motivation to do anything on top....

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »
I scanned them in 2400dpi format, just need to stich them (anyone know a good OS X tool for that ?) and convert into a reasonable size.
Do you have photoshop?
 :arrow: Files/automate/photomerge
I can sure do that for you.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
That was an excellent tip Chris, Downloaded Photoshop and that function works magically !!!!

Now trying to get the whites whiter and the blacks blacker to get more contrast....the brightness/contrast function works but not enough for my taste...

On the other side:
I was wiring up the transformer I bought and checked the schematics and realize I need center tapped voltages and this transformer does not provide that....any way I can hook it up still ? I don't think so... :(

Jochen, does hooking up DC to an unmodified board not damage any of the voltage regulating components ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:29 AM »
OK I had another look at the schematics and can't find a reason why any component would "die" from applying the DC voltages as described on mikes arcade.com so I went for it. First hooked up Marco's board and for half a second I saw the usual boot up garbage and then a black screen followed by the boot up garbage again etc. etc.
So it was constantly resetting/watchdogging but I could also make out a very short Bad RAM 2.

So next I tried Erik's board and that one went up in flames and smoke right away !!!!

Well just kidding of course......it looked pretty great actually:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »
I think the green is missing but that's just a bad wire or so on my adapter I guess.

Now I went back to Marco's board and hooked it up to the Fluke.

The short story is that the Fluke says Program RAM and Object RAM are fine but Video RAM has a defect and its on the 2114 at 3H.

That is the short version. I made a video demonstrating how the Fluke 9100A's basics work which I'll post ASAP.

So....I'll need to replace that RAM Erik. I could solder it to the board directly but using a socket will make it easier to replace in the future. Would you still accept that board as a trade for your Namco one with that upgrade ? ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
Wow,  bad joke.  You had me for a second.

Yes,  you can use a socket.  Just make Marco's board 100% working,  place the missing cooler and test the board thoroughly.  Then the very rare,  very special and very desirable Namco board is yours.  :)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
I heard about the ultimate repair for a Galaxian PCB: This let's you play Galaga on it :spaceace:

:lol:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Yes,  you can use a socket.  Just make Marco's board 100% working,  place the missing cooler and test the board thoroughly.  Then the very rare,  very special and very desirable Namco board is yours.  :)
Waahaha LOL.....sorry my friend, couldnt resist.....

Honestly: when I hooked up your board (not using the Fluke yet) I only got frozen garbage so I had a small heart-attack because I knew your board is/was working fine. So I went....WTF ?!?!?! and powered down right away. Luckily I saw the problem right away too: the processor had half come out of the socket. That is one extremely loose socket and I can hardly blame it, it is one of those ultra rare ancient white sockets....it's a miracle the thing actually works.

Pushed back the processor powered up and working ......pfffffoeeeee...

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »

Waahaha LOL.....sorry my friend, couldnt resist.....

..... so I had a small heart-attack .......

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:   ;) ;)   ;D ;D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
@Michael: I would be just as happy with printed repro's my friend so I would have zero problems sending them back, they belong to your machine, I simply and honestly forgot you had the Bertolino Namco one :)

I'd need to check some parts and values, in general,lines the Midway and Namco are the same, but I guess you mean there might be any differences between Europe produced PCBs  and Japanese one's.

Please keep them, or frame them above the game  :)
If I can get a copy of the finished scan, it would be great!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
Quick "live" look at the "workplace":

Had to replace both RAMs, Erik be happy, a breeze to replace them in the future....if needed.

And...............yessssssssss board runs !!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
Green fixed, looks much nicer. I credited the game,started a game  could move the player and shoot and I measure sound on the speaker outputs.....this is good to go !!!, WOOHOOO !

On top of everything, Marco today messaged me that he donated this board for the good cause, so now this board will go into Erik's cab and I can keep Erik's Namco board...

This forum is full of fantastic people  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: I owe you guys some beers at Eurocade !!!!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
 :spaceace:

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »
👍 well done, great repair, great people?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:17 PM »
For those who are interested .....half an hour of me blabbing about the 9100A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwB4_CDSS2w&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:44:20 AM by Level42 »