Poll

Galaxian 3 possible for DLC for this generation of consloes?

Yes it is possible
6 (85.7%)
No it is not possible
1 (14.3%)
Not sure if it can work
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Galaxian 3 possible for DLC?  (Read 8210 times)

Geosword X

• View Profile
    • My Youtube page
Galaxian 3 possible for DLC?
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:57 AM »
What are your thoughts on this?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Galaxian 3 possible for DLC?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »
Sure it's possible! But I'm afraid this will never happen! :-(
Galaxian3 is not a 'mainstream' game...Starblade had a better fate... It's the hidden game playable inside tekken 5, and it is also available on the Nintendo store for the Wii.
Man, I would kill for G3 on modern platforms! The PSX version is really good actually, but it could be very improved on consoles nowadays ...

HHaase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:33 AM »
I honestly am not worried if it ever reaches consoles.  The gameplay isn't exactly fantastic.   It's the theater that makes it work for G3,  not the game.   Similar to Starblade, it just doesn't translate well to home consoles without the cabinet.

-Hans

KimonSwarts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
I am still in a fix for it..It is really difficult to handle..

Cmdr_Manuel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:28:46 AM »
This game should be on Steam! We just need to rally enough supporters to convince Namco-Bandai to provide it.

Who knows they might have another Dragoon Mission in production for Steam Gamers.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
At least, I hope Namco will mention it/do something next year, for the 20th anniversary of the game (gt6). Let's dream... :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
I honestly am not worried if it ever reaches consoles.  The gameplay isn't exactly fantastic.   It's the theater that makes it work for G3,  not the game.   Similar to Starblade, it just doesn't translate well to home consoles without the cabinet.

-Hans

Totally agreed. It would be like playing SW on a Vectrex.....

(Oh and Geosword, keep your messages clear, I assume DLC means downloadable content or something like that, but most of us are old men here.... ;))

Cmdr_Manuel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
At least, I hope Namco will mention it/do something next year, for the 20th anniversary of the game (gt6). Let's dream... :P

Hmm, if the game is to be on Steam, we might have to buy a special game controller to help emulate the arcade experience. The only controller that I think can emulate the turret motion is the Razer Hydra.

Here's the controller: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra

Looking into this, they never mentioned anything about having a frame and mount for turret-based motion. So, I'll just hold off on the Hydra until they have attachments geared towards the rail shooting rarity among others like it.

Another method of emulated control might be lightgun/guncon technology. Wherever you aim on the screen, the cursor/crosshair is aimed on that spot. Precision is always dependent on the monitor's size. It's possible to use a projector for greater precision, but it might require time to setup and calibrate the "Guncon-GT" (The GT can either mean Galaxian Theater or Galaxian Turret). And if you plan to recreate the Theater at home, Valve might partner up with Namco-Bandai to provide a GT-6 Home Theater Kit, which might come in packages from the bare minimum needed to recreate the gunner stations, to more complete, yet expensive packages that can take up an entire room. Before you go any further, no, the more expensive packages probably will not include building an exact replica of the theater, rather the premium kits include what the original theater featured in terms of AV systems, just without the hassle of Laserdisc tech, since the game will operate directly from a PC via Steam. I'm talking about a sound system powered by Bose, and a video projection system powered by Sony or Panasonic. Now, if you find it cheaper to buy the AV equipment separately, Namco-Bandai might provide a list of recommended equipment for the game, even those branded with THX Certification.

Long story short, if they do release Project Dragoon on Steam, unless you have the resources to emulate the theater at home, you're better off with a mouse to aim and fire.

Geosword X

• View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:38 AM »
Interesting tidbits....

I guess it is possible for NAMCO to provide items to make the Galaxian 3 experience more grand. Moreover I think the light guns may be best to use than turret stations but thats MHO. If they were to release it as DLC (downloadable content) they should include Attack of Zolgear to add more to the experience. Who knows? If it get enough downloads could it encourage them to make more content? A sequel to Attack of Zolgear ? *dreams...*