Author Topic: Hantarex Polostar Issues  (Read 4252 times)

Andypc

• View Profile
Hantarex Polostar Issues
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
I have recently installed a PC with Mame in my Golden Tee cab. The Cab has a Hanterex Polostar tri-sync monitor. I have two issues with the monitor. In 31kHz (640x480@60hz) I get interference on black backgrounds. Its visible in low light and you can see diagonal lines moving across the screen and speckles. I installed a new shorter VGA cable to ensure it was not near any power cables and it made no difference. The second issue is that if I use "switchres" 15khz games such as R-Type are way off the the right even with the pot on the remote board turned all the way I can't centre the picture? The manual talks about a low impedance jumper that must be in place when using VGA, but I'm not sure where. Any help would be appreciated.

Andypc

• View Profile
Re: Hantarex Polostar Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
I have checked for earth continuity all the way back to the plug and it's fine. I checked various places on the frame and the chassis frame. I even unplugged the power cable and checked the earth pin on the chassis and had continuity back to the earth pin on the plug. I took the PC out of the Cab an connected it with a longer VGA cable. Then made sure everything inside the cab (i.e. Marquee Light) was disconnected so only the monitor was on in the cab. Turned the PC on and unfortunately the diagonal lines moving across the screen and speckles are still there. So I have ruled out interference from the PC or Marquee Light.

BarabbaIlLadro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Did you check if the monitor is connected to the ground?
Try connecting a wire between the shield of the monitor, the monitor case and the electronics of the monitor. Once done, connect everything to the ground and try to see if the fault has disappeared.
If the problem persists, try to connect the GND of the power supply with the ground connection of the monitor and check if it is ok.
Last but not least, try connecting a wire between the GND of the RGB connector and the metal frame of the monitor
These problems because there are sometimes ground loops that create interference.
Looking for SEGA R360 Cab also not working but complete of all parts.

Ordyne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
I have checked for earth continuity all the way back to the plug and it's fine. I checked various places on the frame and the chassis frame. I even unplugged the power cable and checked the earth pin on the chassis and had continuity back to the earth pin on the plug. I took the PC out of the Cab an connected it with a longer VGA cable. Then made sure everything inside the cab (i.e. Marquee Light) was disconnected so only the monitor was on in the cab. Turned the PC on and unfortunately the diagonal lines moving across the screen and speckles are still there. So I have ruled out interference from the PC or Marquee Light.

Re: the position using 15khz, there are pots on the east west board to set up each of the 3 resolutions, you should be able to adjust this out here.

Re: the interference, this isn't being powered from an isolation transformer is it? Also check near the power plug for a small screw which makes the connection to the chassis ground plane and the metal frame edging (not the crts frame work) of the monitors PCB, if this isn't super tight (or the psu cage is missing) you will get interference. 

Hope this helps!